Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Amsterdam - Amalfi - Rome - Paris upcoming!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2018, 11:56 AM
***RETIRED*** Do Not Contact
Original Poster

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi all,

Thought I would dip my toe in for advice.

We are heading to Amsterdam for a couple of days next week, before flying Transavia to Naples, renting a Europcar, driving to Pompeii and then 3 days in the Amalfi (Praiano), then driving to Rome for 5 days at Martis Palace, then via Vueling to Paris at the W for 5 days.

We've been to Paris and Rome, but the rest is new to us. There are 2 of us and we're into eating and sitting in cafes and walking and relaxing, with a little culture thrown in here & there.

Any restaurant recs would be welcome, as would "must-do" and "avoid" recommendations, especially in Amsterdam & Amalfi/Pompeii.

What is on the schedule?

Amsterdam: A night boat ride the the Dam Boat Guys (praying for better than forecast weather); a trip to the Rijksmueum (tickets in hand)

Naples: just the rental car

Pompeii: Probably a guided tour if we can get there in time

Amalfi: Nothing set except the airbnb; would love to do a coast cruise or a Capri trip; and relax!

Between Amalfi and Rome: Anything we ought to see by car?

Rome: One of us has never been, so we will do a guided Colosseum tour (the underground was not open when I've been, so that will be new to me); we will hit the Pantheon, Spanish Steps, Piazza Navona, Forum, etc. No Vatican.

Paris: Aside from a group food tour on day one, no plans! Just hang out in the city. People watch at Deux Magots, eat quign amans at Georges Larnicol, croissants at Du Pain et Des Idees, grab a falafel or two... and...?

Thank you!

Paul
Old Sep 18th, 2018, 12:23 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
More things to do in Amsterdam: Vondelpark (don't miss if you have clear weather), Leidseplein square at night (for street performers), Tropenmuseum (good for a rainy day), Sex Museum (good for a laugh).
Old Sep 18th, 2018, 01:12 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Amsterdam..get tickets, timed entry, for Van Gogh Museum.Anne Frank Haus? Need tickets in advance.
Dutch Resistance Museum is very interesting.
Walk in the charming Central Canal region and in the Jordaan.
Old Sep 18th, 2018, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amsterdam - hop free pedestrian/bike ferries from behind Centraal Train Station to other side of IJ - Harbor for a neat view of Amsterdam from across the water - lovely harbor front of old gabled buildings and go up the former Shell Tower once world HQs of Shell Oil and now the A'dam Toren with lots of different entertainments, eateries, pubs, etc and a neat rooftop observation deck:

About - A'DAM Toren

The ferries themselves are fun - watching the zillions of bikes jockey to get off first:

https://www.google.com/search?q=amst...w=1280&bih=625
Old Sep 18th, 2018, 05:16 PM
kja

The Museo Archeologico Nazionale di Napoli is extraordinary and includes a wealth of artifacts from Pompeii and Herculaneum. Seeing it can help bring the ruins to life.

You might consider returning the car in Salerno and taking the train to Rome.
Old Sep 19th, 2018, 07:00 AM

If driving back to Rome from Salerno you can also easily stop by Caserta- the Versailles of Naples area.

https://www.google.com/search?q=case...w=1269&bih=613
Old Sep 19th, 2018, 09:57 AM

The highlight of my trip to Pompeii back in 1969 was the Villa of the Mysteries.