Seniors looking for neighborhhod in Malaga

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2024, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Senior couple looking for recommended neighborhood in Malaga to spend two weeks in a rental apartment February, 2025. Without a car, we want to walk to many museums, sights or just visit neighborhoods. Quite, safe, near restaurants and shops. read that Malaga Centro too noisy so we are really looking to be just at the edge of it but don't how to locate that. Alternatively, reading about Soho, but is it too artsy for us old folks? Le Merced, (too much nightlife)? La Malagueta (to stroll the walkway), or other locations. Ideas appreciated.
Old May 9th, 2024, 11:42 AM

Málaga Centro is not too noisy. I say that having been there recently during Holy Week, when it's at its noisiest (however not this Holy Week when many processions were called off becasue of the torrential rains).

I don´t find Soho too artsy. Antonio Banderas has a group of restaurants there.
I know Soho, and I don´t find it so.

La Plaza de la Merced-YES, I didn't like it at all, as our tourist apartment was close by, alas, and I really disliked the environment of door to door pubs galore, late night bars for hen and bachelor parties and mediocre dining. Never again. We only stayed there because tarifs at our favorite hotels on the official procession route during Holy Week were 500-600 per night.

La Malagueta is a hike from the center.

Anything that you can find near the Calle Molina Lario or close to the Mercado de Atarazanas or off the Alameda Central or even in Soho would be fine, imo.

Last edited by Maribel; May 9th, 2024 at 12:16 PM.
Old May 9th, 2024, 11:36 PM

I agree with Maribel in not discounting Centro. When we were living not far away from Malaga for a while, we spent the odd weekend in an apartment close to Mercado de Atarazanas market. Whilst it was busy, its wasn't noisy in the apartment at all and it was great to be close to the market for food supplies and restaurants and sightseeing. I am sure I could dig out the name of the apartments if interested.
Old May 10th, 2024, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks folks, and tell me more, please!

Thanks so much..... I trust your input more than the many websites offering advice. Any and all additional inofrmnation on Malaga is appreciated as we plan our winter trip.

Also looking to stay two weeks in Seville. Any thoughts on where to stay there?? Triana, El Arenal? Other neighborhoods or streets?

Thanks all
Old May 10th, 2024, 11:34 AM

I lived 2 months in an apartment on calle Victoria, near Plaza de la Merced (lots of restaurants/bars, bus stop for several convenient bus lines), 1 min walk to historic center. It is a safe/lively/convenient neighborhood for public transport, eating out, grocery shopping. I would recommend Calle Victoria between Plaza de la Merced to Jardin de los Manos, no noisy/loud restaurants/bars on this stretch. FYI, calle Victoria is a bus/car traffic street with traffic noise, quieter if window not facing this street.