Seniors in Positano

Jul 30th, 2001, 09:17 AM
Considerate Boyfriend

Seniors in Positano

I would like to give a question that appeared in the Hotels in Amalfi Coast discussion its own thread because I am planning a trip there with my girlfriend and two "older" relatives of hers. These are two women in their mid-seventies who can walk fine but are not that good with stairs. We're in the medium price range, would like good views and nice rooms, and we would like to be able to take the SITA bus to other towns along the coast, but we can't climb a lot of stairs. Which are the hotels in Positano that would be good for our group? I've seen that Casa Albertina is well recommended, but I think the 60 steps to the entrance would rule it out. If we stay at L'Ancora or other hotel higher up in the town, are there taxicabs in Positano that could take us to the beach area and back up to our hotel? Is L'Ancora convenient to the SITA bus to Amalfi? What about the local buses in Positano -- can these help us so that we aren't restricted to staying in the lower part of town near the beach?

Jul 30th, 2001, 09:31 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

How considerate of you. Positano is a vertical town and not easy to navigate without good legs. For hotels, try the Palazzo Murat in a good location low on the hill. The bus stop will be a small challenge but doable--good luck.

Jul 30th, 2001, 11:41 AM
carol

Dear Considerate,

I recommend that you and your ladies stay in Sorrento, which is a lovely flat town with beautiful hotels on the cliffs overlooking the bay of Naples, e.g., the Bellevue-Syrene Hotel, and it is a hub for the buses which travel along the Amalfi Coast, and the ferries to Capri, Naples, etc. Really, all the towns along the coast are pretty hilly and I think staying there will present many obstacles to an easy and pleasant vacation.

Jul 30th, 2001, 12:50 PM
ms. janet

Wondered what happens to the older residents of Positano should they become disabled --- if you can't manage the stairs, do they shoot you? ship you out of town?

I have noticed that many seniors (not only in Positano, but many places throughout Italy) have good strong legs. You'll see 'little old ladies' with calf muscles that rival Arnold Schwarteneggar!

Back to your issue --- Positano is an incredibly beautiful town, but there's alot of stairs. From the main roads (Via Colombo / Via Marconi) I think the only way to get down to "center of town" is on foot --- and that means stairs.

From this website -
http://www.travel-italy.com/hotels/h.../l_ancora.html, the L'Ancora doesn't look easily accessible to the SITA bus stop.

You might consider the Eden Roc. As I recall it's not too far from the bus stop. Check with hotel.
http://www.edenroc.it/welcome.html
Via G. Marconi, 110 - Positano SA
Tel +39 089 875 844 - Fax +39 089 875 552

As much as I adore Positano, you may look into Carol's suggestion to stay in Sorrento (flatter terrain). From there you can easily do day trips to towns via bus or ferry.

One attraction that your girlfriend's relatives may wish to avoid --- don't do the Blue Grotto with them (which IMHO is hopelessly over-rated tourist trap, but that's topic of another thread). And the reason for this is to access the grotto, they 'offload' you from a ferry boat onto small row boats (must balance yourself as you step from one boat to another in midst of Mediterannean).

Jul 30th, 2001, 03:11 PM
hiho

Hiho here

I would agree with the previous posters who suggested Sorrento - which has a flat downtown, with interesting shopping, a lot of restaurants, and plenty of places to stay. Positano is built on a hill. Yes, you can stay near the beach, but I think this would be kind of confining, compared to the alternative.

Jul 31st, 2001, 05:09 AM
Considerate Boyfriend

Thanks to everyone for their advice. If we do decide to stay in Sorrento instead, will we still be able to visit Positano? If we take the SITA bus from Sorrento to Positano, will we be able to get from the SITA bus stop to the main areas, either by walking (they can walk OK on inclines, it's mostly actual steps that are the problem, and they can even do steps as long as there aren't too many) or by taking the local bus? Do they have taxicabs in Positano?

Search this Thread