Sending Money To Scotland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to be sending $100 to my bf who is in Scotland visiting his mom and family for 3 months. He is only 15. What is the best way to send this? Cashiers check, travelers check, or personal check? He will have to cash it at his moms bank, I am assuming.
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 09:43 AM

It depends how much of a rush he is in for the money. The quickest is western union. Traveller's cheque would have to be in pounds sterling which you could make payable to his mum who could pay it into her bank account. The easiest option, although somewhat risky would be to put cash in an envelope and send with a letter. I would take this option for a relatively small amount, however it is a risk, and I would not put all the cash in one envelope but split it and send it in two on different days. If you send cash, do not put it in an envelope with anything that resembles a birthday card!
A personal cheque is not an option as I assume your cheque would be in dollars rather than sterling. A cashier's cheque would need to be in sterling and the fees would probably make it uneconomical.
Finally, if you get the bank account details for his mum's bank, you could send a bank draft directly into her account. However, although this is the most reliable way, it is quite expensive as the fee for sending a draft is per transaction and will be at least $15. This is the best way for sending larger amounts but not great for sending small ones.
If you decide on the cash option, send it in dollars as it will be cheaper for him to change it to pounds in Scotland than for you to do that here.

Carol
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 09:51 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Every option will cost you or him or both of you quite a bit extra.

In this specific case - I agree, sending cash is probably your best/easiest/cheapest choice. A bit risky for sure - but probably safe enough.

He will pay a premium to exchange the $ for £ so you might want to send an extra $10 if he needs to net $100.
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 10:34 AM

Does he have an ATM card? Does anyone have access to it?

The fastest, cheapest way to send money is to deposit it in an account here in dollars and have him withdraw it there in sterling.
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 10:38 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Oh - yes, that would be best. I just assumed the 15 yo didn't have a bank card.