Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Sending check deposit to hotel in Italy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 02:27 AM
x

My hotel is asking for 1 night's deposit to be mailed to them to hold my reservation. They want a check in Euro (I'm in the US). Can someone recommend the best (and least expensive) way to do this - a bank? other place? travellers check? Thanks

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 02:43 AM
mpprh

Hi<BR><BR>paying cheques from a US bank in foreign currency is slow, and expensive.<BR>Expensive at both ends !<BR><BR><BR>I would suggest giving a cc number, presuming they are a reputable hotel.<BR><BR>Peter<BR>

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 02:46 AM
xxx

Ask if they'll take a regular check in dollars. They'll probably just hold it until you arrive anyway.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 02:59 AM
x

Hi, I've already asked and they don't take credit cards, and want Euro. It's a pain in the neck, but I really want to stay at this particular hotel. Thanks

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 03:50 AM
xxx

Your bank can probably do a transfer to their bank if you get the bank code and account number.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 04:54 AM
elaine

Many reputable hotels are family-owned and they don't want to or can't afford to pay commissions to credit card companies, so they ask for direct payment deposits.<BR><BR>As suggested, for a fee your bank can do a direct deposit to their bank account, or for a fee your bank can issue a check for you in Euros. When I wanted to send a check in drachmas a few years ago, the fee my bank imposed was outrageous, about $25 at that time just to draw the check.<BR><BR>However, traveler's checks would probably also work, at very low fees.<BR>Send the payment express mail though.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 05:05 AM
Christina

I'm not really sure on the cheapest way to do this--the only times I have done it, I used a foreign currency exchange office (Thomas COoks) which has accounts in foreign banks (including Italy) and can thus write a check up for you in foreign currency. It is expensive, though, as I recall -- there is a flat fee for doing it which isn't too bad if it's a large amount but is high for a small amount. You'd have to contact them to find out fees, if there isn't one where you live, that's not so convenient.<BR><BR>The second time a hotel in France required this, they were perfectly happy to accept a check in US dollars for the appropriate amount at the current exchange rate. They just keep it in case you don't show up, so it's not really a burden to them to cash (unless you don't show up).<BR><BR>You can get foreign money orders from the US Postal Service, believe it or not, and that is the cheapest way to do this but not very efficient. HEre is the page on the USPS URL that describes how this works<BR>http://www.usps.com/ibu/postalfin/info/faq/infopost.htm<BR>I wouldn't do that because it sounds like it takes forever (you need to mail an order to a central PO which then mails it to Italy's central PO which sends it to the recipient), and it probably won't satisfy your picky hotel, anyway -- you buy it in US$ and they get it converted at current exchange rate when they pick it up at their post office.<BR><BR>I think sending them the amount in euro travellers' checks is probably the easiest, and may be the cheapest, also. Frankly, I would not deal with them, because I would wonder why they insist on getting a check in euro as a deposit--it sounds like they are going to cash it immediately. As I said, I've had reasonable French hotels accept a check in US dollars because they know they aren't going to have to use it, probably, and if they do -- they have a bank account and can just deposit it, even if there are slight fees from the bank for the conversion. Hotels are in business, this shouldn't be such a big deal for them. I could understand it more for a small mom and pop B&B, but not a hotel. yeah, I know --- you really want to stay there -- I guess it's hard for me to think of any place so great or unique that it's worth me spending my time and energy and money on catering to them like that.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 05:12 AM
sue

Hi,<BR><BR>I had to do this several years ago. Then they wanted a check in Lira. I did this through my bank. I can not remember what it cost. I was not happy, but decided it was part of the travel experience. The hotel did apologize when we arrived, but it still cost me. They want cash for one night incase you do not honor your reservations and do not want to deal with credit cards as it cost them money and it will cost them to change USD into Euros. I do not know of the least expensive way to deal with this, but I sympathise.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 05:13 AM
xx

This is only my opinion, however, I would look for a comparable hotel than to stay at the hotel you mention. Many hotels, large and small, take credit card reservations.<BR><BR>It's true that quite a few hotels nowadays still demand a personal check but they only need it in foreign currency (your own). Therefore, it's not too difficult for the guest to accomodate them. In fact, I'm staying at the Hotel d'Angleterre in Paris and they only accept a one night deposit by personal check in foreign currency. They'll hold the check as payment if you want or return it. However, the hotel specifically says they only want it made out in foreign currency.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 05:20 AM
Jim

I stayed in June in a couple of convents that required a deposit, but did not take credit cards. I purchased some American Express traveller's checks IN EURO and sent them by Express US Mail. Took about 8 days. I included a note to the convents and asked them to fax me and let me know when they got the deposit. This also acted as a sort of written confirmation, which as you may know sometimes is a problem with small Italian hotels. <BR><BR>To the other posters: just because a hotel doesn't take credit cards doesn't make them "disreputable."

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 05:29 AM
x

Thanks so much for all the replies! Sounds like I have a couple of options, and will call around for the prices.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 05:50 AM
xxx

I do not think it's really a matter of a hotel being "reputable" if it accepts credit card deposits. <BR><BR>It's just a matter of not going through the hassle of sending personal or travelers checks through the mail. If you send your c/c info. you receive either a fax or email confirmation anyway. Also if the hotel turns out to be disreputable, you can dispute the charge with your credit card company. <BR><BR>As a previous poster mentioned, if you send checks especially in euro, how do you know that the hotel won't just cash them immediately also? It's in euro so it's easier for them to cash. To me, sending checks doesn't guarantee a hotel is reputable either.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 05:52 AM
Dorothy

I'm going through exactly the same thing trying to make a reservation at a small place in Pisciotta on the Cilento National Park. I discovered that there is a new service run by Citibank which seems to be exactly what we need - direct either to person or bank account - which can be accessed at c2it.com . The cost is a set fee of $10 to Italy, and the receiver gets the money in Euros. Unfortunately, when I tried to enrol I was rejected. Customer Service said it might be because of an interruption of some kind, or it might be because I had too much stuff in my Temporary Internet Files (! - probably Fodorite comments from the last few days), and that I should delete them before trying again. Unfortunately, though, the program won't let me try again until two full business days have elapsed. So if you want to try it, I suggest you clean up your temp files first.<BR><BR>BTW, has anyone stayed on the Cilantano Coast, or can you tell me if the Amalfi Coast is still likely to be crowded toward the end of October? Would a motorbike be an advisable way to mosey from Pisciotta to the Amalfi area?? If I wanted to rent a car once I got there instead of planning from here, would it be outrageously expensive?

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 07:09 AM
Dorothy

I mean, the Cilentana coast...

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 07:32 AM
x

Hi, I'm the original poster, thanks again for everyone's advice. I tried Citibank online, recommended by Dorothy. Perhaps there are less expensive methods out there, but for convenience, this cant be beat. It took me about 3 minutes for the entire transaction. Grazie!

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 07:35 AM
x

One more thing. Dorothy, I was rejected too. It took a quick call to my credit card company, they put a hold on my account because it was a "weird transaction" and they were wary of fraud. When I told them it was legitimate they released my account, and 2 seconds later the transaction went through.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 09:00 AM
Dorothy

AHA! Very clever!!