Reload this Page >

Self-catering in Ireland

Search

Self-catering in Ireland

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 09:40 AM
Alec

Self-catering in Ireland

My family of seven with children 8-11 are planning to go to Ireland for the first time next August. We want to stay somewhere not too far from towns and resorts (to keep teens and children happy), but also rural and near beaches. I am thinking of West of Ireland around Galway, Clare, or Southwest in Kerry or Cork. We are taking our car from England, want to stay in one place for two weeks, and tour a bit. Any specific suggestions as to which areas/resorts to stay will be welcome.

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 12:27 AM
Shadow

Alec-my suggestion would be Dingle, Co. Kerry. Its on the west coast of Ireland with lots of things to do:beautiful scenery, historical sights,<BR>cute shops, boat trips to see Fungie the Dolphin/swimming with Fungie the Dolphin, an aquarium, lots of great pubs for Irish music,Slea Head drive for great scenery and pottery shop and lots to see, fabulous restaurants. Take day trips to Killarney and Cork/Cobh/Kinsale.<BR>As far as places to rent check out www.irelandexpert for more advice on that. You and your family will love Dingle!<BR>Shadow

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 06:51 AM
sylvia

How about trying Northern Ireland?<BR>We went to a wedding in Dundrum, Co. Down in November. Several of the guests stayed in some very nice cottages right on the bay with a wonderful view of the Mountains of Mourne.<BR>The cottages even have a website http://www.holidayhomes-ireland.com/

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 08:15 AM
sylvia

Whoops! Please ignore indignant recent posting. It hadn't been deleted after all.

Old Dec 4th, 2001, 02:43 PM
Alec

Thanks a lot for your suggestions, Shadow and Sylvia. Yes, Co Kerry looks interesting and I'm investing possibilities. Perhaps I'll try Northern Ireland next time. Just one other question: we need to break the journey from Dublin, where the ferry lands. Do you think we need to book a b&b in advance, given it's in August and there are seven of us? Will they take one night booking? Are b&b's freely available in inland Ireland as they are, say, in Germany?

Old Dec 4th, 2001, 11:37 PM
Shadow

Alec-Yes, I would book the B&B's in advance-the sooner the better to get the best choice. Most B&B's have 4 rooms at the most-but there are enough that have more rooms but you better check into them now. Yes, they will take a one night booking-we stayed each night in a different B&B. B&B's are everywhere in Ireland-more than I saw in Germany-more than I have seen anywhere but still start looking into booking yours to get the nicest one in the areas you will be in.<BR>Shadow