Seine Dinner Cruise

Dec 2nd, 2001, 10:27 AM
Terry

Seine Dinner Cruise

My wife and I will be in Paris next weekend (12/08 and 09) and I am thinking about booking a dinner cruise (Bateaux Parisiens). Has anyone taken this cruise and is it worth it?

Dec 2nd, 2001, 10:42 AM
Kim Adriano

Definitely take the cruise! The food is only ok by French standards (good by American standards), but the views and the ambience on the ship are most memorable. For a more private excursion, the extra expense for the service premier service is worth it. You get a private table near the front of the ship, vs. the banquet style setup they use for the lower price points. Hope this helps.

Dec 2nd, 2001, 10:42 AM
Terry

The email address on my first message was incorrect. It should have been [email protected].

Dec 2nd, 2001, 11:25 AM
Grasshopper

Terry, My advice would be to take a cruise and then choose a nice restaurant when you get off. We took Bateaux Mouches. When you get off you are near Pont d' Alma and there is a very nice, very french restaurant called Janette and Mario which has great seafood and is filled with locals. Then you get the best of both worlds.

Dec 2nd, 2001, 11:43 AM
Lori

Skip the food - take the cruise, that's OK, but the food is not worth it. There are plenty of much better places to eat trust me on that, I've been to Paris a dozen or more times.

Dec 2nd, 2001, 11:43 AM
Fred

Dinner cruises have received mixed reviews. The majority say take a cruise, then go out for dinner. But other people have enjoyed them, so it's really a tossup. Here's some information on several cruises - I think it's up to date. The last one is the most highly recommended.

Bateaux Mouches
Pont de l'Alma, Right Bank, Paris 8. Metro: Alma-Marceau
Reservations: 01-42-25-96-10 Information: 01-40-76-99-99
Dinner cruise: 8:30pm, Tie and jacket required. Reservations required
Runs all year.

Bateaux Parisiens, Tour Eiffel. Seine Cruise:
From Pont d'Ina, Left Bank, Paris 7. Metro: Bir-Hakeim
Reservations, information: 01-44-11-33-44
Dinner cruise: 8pm, daily. Cruise: 2 hr 30 min. Tie and jacket Reservations required.
Runs April-October

Vedettes du Pont-Neuf :
From Le Pont Neuf, Square du Vert-Galant, Paris 1. Metro: Pont Neuf.
Reservations, information: 01-46-33 98-38.
Dinner cruise: 9:30pm. Reservations required
Runs all year.

Marina de Bercy
Port de Bercy 75012
Tel: 01-1-43-43-40-30
Fax: 01-43-43-40-05
email: [email protected]
www.marinadebercy.com
2 dinner cruises - 6:15, 9:00
Runs all year.

Yachts de Paris.
From Port de Javel - Paris 15 - Metro: Javel
Tel 01-44-37-10-20. Dinner cruise: 8:45pm - Luxury dinner cruise on a 1930's yacht
www.yachtsdeparis.com
Reservations required
Runs all year.
For more Paris information e-mail me:[email protected]

Dec 2nd, 2001, 06:56 PM
Babs

Thanks for the information, Fred. I was going to ask the same question.As usual you have the answers

Dec 2nd, 2001, 07:10 PM
John G

Don't take the cruise!! The food is horrible, plus, you can't see anything on the cruise. Maybe the Seine was low when I first took a cruise in Sept. of '86, but, the only thing I saw where the dikes of the river and the prostitutes congregating under the bridges (although that was quite interesting). I almost broke my neck trying to look up to see Invalides. Since then, I have been back to Paris about 6 times and I always think it is so much better to see the "major sites" of Paris by taking the "On-Off Bus" or the Metro.

Dec 2nd, 2001, 08:19 PM
JOdy

we took a dinner cruise, it left from pont de Alma so I guess it was the Bat. Parisien, but there was no commentary , no entertainment,maybe 40 people, just lovely service , excellent wine and exceptional food,. There was no set price for the ticket, we had reservations, and choose wines and food from menu, 4 waiters for our table of 6 , crystal, china , everything exceptional, a beautiful night, In fact after 10 trips to Paris this was one of the highlights, we went with friends who are Pariseins and another couple from here who had also been to Paris numerous times and had avoided this, When our French friends suggested it we just acquised to avoid explaining.
it was one on the best times any of us have had. Know it would not quite be the same on the regular bateaux cruise, so if you want to make it memorable look into this.

Dec 3rd, 2001, 05:37 AM
sandra

We took the prestiege dinner cruise last thanksgiving and had a wonderful time. With the prestiege level you are in the front of a glass boat, you have your own waiter at your table, the food was fine, we had live music, and the best view of the illuminations in Paris. I also bleieve it was very inexpensive roughly about 200.00 per couple. This included a 5 course meal, champagne, red wine, white wine, cognac, hand made truffles and cigars if you were so inclined. There is also a chanpagne reception on the pier prior to boarding and a tie is given should your husband forget his. All in all a lovely evening. This is a Bateaux Mooche cruise.

Dec 3rd, 2001, 05:58 AM
elaine

Terry
"worth it" questions are really unanswerable in that each of us has
subjective opinions which may or may not apply to anyone else.
For Seine cruises in general, I recommend the Vedettes de Pont Neuf, because the boats are smaller and the
commentary good.
If you're looking for an excellent meal,
the food on the boats may or may not be up to your standards. If you're looking for a quintessential tourist experience
(and that's not necessarily a bad thing)
then try the dinner cruise once; the worst thing that will happen is that you will think it's not worth it and you won't do it again. That doesn't mean you'll be so sorry you did it once.
If you want to be absolutely sure of things and not feel that you spent too much for the dinner that you may or may not like, then have a good dinner elsewhere and take an evening cruise before or after dinner.
Also, if this would be your one "big spluge" dinner then perhaps dine somewhere else for a sure-fire experience. If you will be dining at great places everynight, then one so-so dinner (if it IS so-so to you) won't matter as much.

Dec 3rd, 2001, 06:25 AM
Bruce Hayes

I assume (since this is France) that smoking is allowed (encouraged?) on all these dinner cruises?

My wife and I find that people smoking while we are trying to eat quite objectionable and it ruined an otherwise pleasant evening dinner cruise on the Thames when we were there a couple of years ago?

So, are there such things as non-smoking dinner cruises?

Jan 23rd, 2002, 08:16 PM
Betty

Topping for Caroline.

Jan 25th, 2002, 03:33 AM
topper

topping