Segovia on a Monday

Jan 24th, 2002, 11:10 PM
Dave

Segovia on a Monday

Trying to set up my trip to Spain and the only day I have left is Monday.
I would like to see Segovia, but I have heard on Monday, many sites are closed.
Should this concern me ?
Will I miss much by going to Segovia on a Monday ?
Would appreciate your advise ?
Thank You
Dave

Jan 25th, 2002, 08:35 AM
Maribel

Hi Dave,
Mon. in Segovia shouldn't be a concern. The "must see" fairy tale castle right out of Camelot, the Alcazar, is open daily from 10-6 (until 7 from April-Sept 30.), the Cathedral is open daily from 9:30-6 (until 7 in spring/summer), the El Parral Monastery daily 10-12:30, 4-6:30 and the Romanesque Church of San Millan with beautiful frescoes is open daily (not sure of the times). The only monuments of note that you won't be able to see on Mon. in Segovia are the 13th century RomanesqueTemplar Chapel of Vera Cruz, down by the river and the new Esteban Vicente Contemporary Art Museum.
Unfortunately the newly restored Bourbon Palace of La Granja, nearby in San Idelfonso, is closed on Mon., as is the summer Palace of Rio Frio and Philip II's El Escorial, which people often include in a Segovia or Avila day trip. (All the Reales Sitios monuments close Mon.)
But yes, do go to Segovia on Mon. I think you'll be charmed by this lovely Castilian gem. Sit and have coffee on the terrace of La Concepcion on the Plaza Mayor, and have a nice lunch of Segovia's famous roast lamb at either Duque, with its typically Castilian decor, on the left side of pedestrian Calle Cervantes leading up to the Plaza Mayor, the legendary Candido next to the Aqueduct (request a table upstairs facing the Aqueduct) or Jose Maria, right off the Plaza Mayor. These are the 3 classics.
If you plan to drive, you might enjoy a slight detour northeast of Segovia, 35 km. up the N110 to the delightful, tiny Renaissance walled village of Pedraza de la Sierra-another pure Castilian gem. It has a very atmospheric Plaza Mayor with several good roasting taverns (hornos de asar) in and around the square, but it will be very, very quiet on a Mon. The village fills with daytrippers from Madrid on the wks.
Also if you go to Segovia by car, rather than taking the faster superhighway A 6 to Villacastin then up the N110, you might enjoy the slower, far more scenic route, detouring around Collado Villalba up through the Sierra de Guadarrama mountain range, past the ski area of Puerto de Navacerrada, provided you have nice weather. We always try to go up to Segovia this way for the beautiful views, then return on the A 6.
Have fun!