Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Seeking suggestions for a day tour (or less) in Paris. Also are there some kind of (one day or less) group tours to Chantilly, Versailles and Chartes?

Search

Seeking suggestions for a day tour (or less) in Paris. Also are there some kind of (one day or less) group tours to Chantilly, Versailles and Chartes?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16th, 2001, 03:10 PM
A.K.

I'm not much into tours, but since I have never been to Paris, I'm interested in suggestions for a cool one day (or less) orientation tour. Any suggestions for a group tour to Versailles, Chartres and Chantilly that provides transportation there as well? <BR>Thanks, <BR>A.K. <BR>Chicago

Old Oct 16th, 2001, 04:24 PM
Betty

Not my favorite way to see the sights, either, so no personal experience here, but some others on this board have recommended http://www.truefrance.com/index.htm <BR>Maybe you will find it helpful. Good luck.

Old Oct 16th, 2001, 04:45 PM
GS

I belive there is a City tour called Cityrama or something like that, in wich you can hop on and off where you whant...usually you can find brochures in the hotel. <BR>About tours to Versailles, etc... you can find some at Parisvision.com (they're expensive) or even better you can buy a RER ticket to Versailles (about $5 round trip) and board the train in Gare de Montparnasse (because the usual RER line is now under construction)...this train that usually goes out every 15 or 30 min. gets you to Versailles Chantiers (in about 15 min) where you can take a bus to the Chateau for free. <BR> <BR>Bon voyage!!

Old Oct 16th, 2001, 05:00 PM
Kay

AK, we picked up a tour brochure at our hotel in Paris, booked a day tour for the next day to Versailles. It was not expensive (we travel on a budget) and well worth it. Travelled in a mini-van with about 8 other people. Sorry can't remember the tour company name but pretty sure you'd have no trouble booking something once you arrive. <BR>Kay

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 04:26 AM
Chris

ParisVision offers a number of tours both in and out of Paris. They have a half day tour(4 1/2 hours) which takes you around to see the major sights via <BR>bus and then takes you on a seine river cruise and then to the Eifel tower. Cost <BR>is aroud $50.00 US. They also have just a bus tour for around 2 hours for about $30.00 us. I think they have a web site. Good Luck

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 07:32 AM
elaine

Hi <BR>Cityrama and Paris Vision,and American Express I think, among others, run orientation tours of Paris. I have to tell you that with any good basic map <BR>(Streetwise Paris is my favorite) Paris is pretty easy to get oriented to on your own and you could save the price of the tour and spend it on a great meal <BR>or a bottle of wine. <BR>Versailles, Chantilly, and Chartres are very easy to get to on your own with public transportation,and you can stay as long or as short a time as you like. <BR>I have a long file on Paris; if you'd like to see it, email me. The interruption in the RER train service to Versailles is a new development and I am not familiar with the alternative.