Seeking Last Minute Advice for Ireland--especially $$

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2003, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cannot believe it, but in less than a week, I'll be in Ireland!

I do not own a conventional credit card, but I have a "check card" that acts as a credit card (i.e. it has the Visa logo on it) ... will using this card in Ireland be a problem?

My trip is part of a packaged deal, but we do have windows of *free time.*

I'd love to see parts of Ireland that tourists don't typically see (tough, I know!) ... here are some of the stops I'll be making ... if anyone can suggest a special pub (especially if it has Irish music), restaurant, or local attraction to see, please let me know!

Killarney--actually will be spending two nights here ... we will be touring the Dingle Peninsula.

Waterford--via Blarney and Cobh.

Dublin--two night stay--with *free time* in the afternoon on both days and in the evening on the second night.

Galway--two nights. The tour is supposed to take in the "Royal Tara China Factory"--after seeing the Waterford Crystal Factory, however, I'm not sure I want to see another factory. Any alternative suggestions would be appreciated; in addition, we do have some free time.

Shannon--last day and night ... again, any recommendations would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 05:28 PM

Adwoff,

Above all else, don't panic. You'll be ready for Ireland, and you're bound to get a warm welcome.

Galway City is a lively place. Indeed, many native Irish now consider it the Republic's cultural capital. It's too bad you won't be in that neighborhood during July, as Galway hosts its always colorful and exciting Galway Races. Also on tap in July is the excellent Arts Festival.

But don't fret, as you'll no doubt find much to occupy your time. If you're in the mood for traditional Irish music, then check out Neachtain's, located on Cross Street. It's arguably Galway's most famous pub, with trad sessions several days a week. Taafe's, on High Street, is also well known for its trad music. Also worth considering is Lisheen Bar, on Bridge Street, which somehow seems to escape the hordes of tourists that descend on Galway during high season.

Finally, make a point of seeking out Kenny's, surely the best book store outside of Dublin. You'll want to reserve at least a full hour for this High Street-located business. It's a book lovers glimpse of the hereafter. Don't miss it.

Best of luck.

Old Apr 26th, 2003, 11:17 PM

I doubt you'll have a problem with the VISA check card. If you do, you could always use your ATM card, which will give you a great exchange rate.

I LOVED Galway and would go back in a heartbeat. I couldn't really add more to David's suggestions except to try the seafood or fish and chips and McDonaughs Seafood House (spelling?). In Killarney, I liked Muckross House. The history of the house was interesting and the grounds of the estate are beautiful. If you're on a tour, you'll probably stop there.

Barb
Old Apr 27th, 2003, 06:54 AM

Your VISA check card can be used as a credit card and as an ATM card. Make sure it is a 4-digit pin. I would not use it to rent a car or reserve a hotel room because they put a hold on your money, which is the money in your checking account.
Old Apr 28th, 2003, 06:47 AM

Your Check card will work fine for purchases while you are there. ( Also in their ATM's)

In Killarney - try Sheehans ( on Main street AKA the Killarney Grand Hotel) for traditional music. If you are there on a Tuesday or Thursday night - stop in at Danny Mann's pub - the Irish Weavers play there every T/TH and they are wonderful.

The Granary - across from the Tourist info shop, by the Car Park - also has good music. This one is set up more like an American Bar, than the others, but we lucked out,and had fantastic music when we were there.