Seeking an itinerary!!! HELP!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2003, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there! We're seeking an itinerary! I am hoping to find someone out there who will say "This is were we went and this is where we stayed and LOVED our itinerary!" My co-worker and myself have done nothing more than buying our airfares and have decided to stay in the Southwest counties. We kinda want to see as much as we can in 7 days starting from Dublin and flying out of Shannon. We'd like to stay in hostels due to $$, but want to splurge 1 night maybe in a castle accomodation. We are extremely outgoing people who like to drink in pubs, see architecture, and take in beautiful greenery. We're in our mid 30's, very social, and unfortunately we're not very athletic, hence we are renting a car. We consider ourselves breezy, that's probably why we are having a hard time making any set decisions. The one thing we DONT want is to be tied down to reservations and be in a constant panic mode to get somewhere (especially if we are having a blast and don't want to leave our current location)
He says whatever you want and I say whatever you want...so we need your help please!!
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 04:49 AM
ira

Hi krandy,

Have you considered doing a text search for Ireland and reading what has already been posted?

You are not going to get many responses to such a broad question.
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 05:58 AM

Couple of other things:

1. If you put out any future posts - Put IRELAND in the title. Even though you select Ireland as a topic - the post still lives on the Europe board and being more specific in your post title will get you more hits.

2. Do you realize the price discrepancy between hostels & castles? 1 night at Dromoland or Ashland can run you 175€ - 225 € EACH. For 1 night.

3. WHEN are you planning on going ( makes a difference with crowds / daylight hours) ?

4. Get a couple of good guide books ( I loved Eyewitnes Ireland , and Frommers 25 Best Loved Driving tours) and pick out some highlights of things that interest you. Once you have some points of reference, It will be easier for others to give you more ideas.
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 07:02 AM

Given your description, I would recommend the Lonely Planet guide which will give a more hands-on and affordable approach, but also provide suggestions for castle stays. The time of year could impact your carefree plans but not too much so. The book has some good trip info for the area you are talking about and I speak from experience as I planned a whole trip from it sans the internet and it went perfectly. You could take a train from Dublin to Killarney then rent a car for your stay in that area given your time constraints or else grab a good special off the internet for car rental and drive over to the west. It is good that you are flying out of Shannon so that you don't have as far to return. Debbie gave good advice as you have to read up and identify your likes and dislikes. The hostel plan is great for a first trip as you will meet some good people and experience other travelers, the big rooms do lack privacy. You may want to ask for a double which is a little more but still less than b&bs. Anyway, do some reading and search this site as you should be able to get most of your questions answered. Good Luck
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 11:42 AM

Castle recommendation: Kiliane Castle, just south of Wexford and an easy drive to or from Dublin. We paid E35 each and had the absolute best breakfast of the whole trip. www.kilianecastle.com
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 11:49 AM
Degas

What if everybody wanted/expected to be able to be carefree, breezy and lazy? Do so basic travel homework and stop expecting people to detailed planning for you. That's your job or a travel agency's job to do.

Old Jul 16th, 2003, 01:25 PM
dln

krandy, just a thought. Suppose I were carefree and breezy, liked to drink in pubs, loved architecture, loved gardens and greenery? I fit the bill, to tell you the truth.

I'm also a 45 year old mother of two teenagers and in many respects, an old fuddy duddy. Would you want to take advice from me? God only knows the pubs I would send you to!

I think if you do a bit of research--and you're already ahead of the game because you have pretty firm ideas about what type of things you enjoy--then you will be arming yourself with FACTS. Once you have the facts, you establish a point of reference from which to make judgements.

So, for example, if I want you to try my favorite pub in Dublin (and I know a few!) you can say "Yeah, that pub's packed everynight.....with blue hairs!"

See, the power of knowledge.

Old Jul 16th, 2003, 01:49 PM

Michele9 -
can you double check the web site for your castle ? I would love to check it out, but that url does not work for me , and google searches on
Killane
Kiliane
Killian
etc
do not find a castle either.

thanks!
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 02:15 PM

People need to stop being so mean on this board! Thank you Krandy for the description of yourselves - I personally think that helps. 6 of us in our early 30s were in Ireland for 10 days (got back Monday). I can only recommend where I've been, and also refer you to my recent Trip Report posting. We are pub goers too and pretty laid back as well. We enjoyed Dublin, but really only need 2 nights there I think. We loved Dingle peninsula - beautiful scenery and amazing historical sites. Also really relaxed in, loved eating in and enjoyed Kinsale (gourmet capital of Ireland). Let me know if you have questions about these places!
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 05:57 AM

Brooke -
Is it really "mean" to suggest a little more leg work? You actually did it too, by suggesting that the orig. poster find and read your trip report, and if she has specific questions about places you have been, to then ask about those places.

I think that a lot of the responses on this post have really centered around the fact that this board is not a travel agency, here to do all the work for people who don't want to do any of the legwork or research themselves. We are here to offer suggestions, or help tune itineraries, but shouldn't be expected to plan the entire thing.

P.S. KRANDY - if you really don't want to plan your own trip - go out to www.IRELANDYES.com . Michele Erdvig will set up an itinerary for you starting at $50.
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 07:21 AM

Debbie

I had the same problem and tried a couple different spellings. This one works...

http://www.killianecastle.com/

Cheers,

wendy

Old Jul 18th, 2003, 07:26 AM

Debbie

I had the same problem and tried a couple different spellings. This one works...

http://www.killianecastle.com/
-----------------------------------------
Krandy

I think you should pick an area/site or two that know you and your friend will be interested in (ie. "Must Sees&quot and then just wing it from there. Such free spirits will find a homecoming in Ireland where Time has little meaning outside of Dublin.
You can find hostels and inexpensive B&B listings at any Irish Tourist Board office in any town that has one. (Look for the the large, green sign with the white "i" on it.)

Cheers,

wendy

Old Jul 18th, 2003, 10:39 AM

Debbie: Yes, I do think the tone of the following message was mean.
"Do so basic travel homework and stop expecting people to detailed planning for you." Obviously, Krandy (and everyone else) will do the guide books and internet search thing (or they wouldn't be on this site). Of course I assumed she would be reading others' postings on this site. Obviously, this board is not a travel agency...let's just be a little nicer in our replies is all I'm saying...
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 11:14 AM
ChatNoir

Both the tone and content of Krandy's posting "almost "invited" a stern message: do some basic research and don't expect the forum to be your personal travel agency.

I think the breezy and carefree duo planned to sit back and pick like royalty from options based on the hard work and long experience of others.

This phrase gave it away: "My co-worker and myself have done nothing more than buying our airfares".

Old Jul 18th, 2003, 11:26 AM

ChatNoir, I totally agree with you. When I first read Krandy's message, I thought - These people want to get a full trip planned by strangers, without having to do any of the work. Neither party wants the responsibility of planning a trip, so they want us to do it. All they have done so far is by tickets - not even a travel book.

I really don't mind helping out, but I don't expect to plan the whole thing for them.

oh - and if you read the first post it is full of contridictions
1.Stay in Hostels to save $$, but want to stay in 1 castle too.
2. Want to spend plenty of time in pubs, but want architecture and greenery,
3. Don't want to make reservations ahead of time, but want us to plan the trip for them.

On another point - I would feel bad for them if they totally let strangers plan their trip - I loved planning all of my trips. The anticipation, the research into what is available, extends the fun of the trip for months ahead of time.
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 11:44 AM

This is krandy's first and only post, and s/he has not bothered to check back in. I don't think I'd invest any more time here until s/he does so.
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 11:52 AM
ChatNoir

RE: Debbie

I like trip planning to, but, as you know, it usually requires lots of time and effort. I also like to share info, but resent it being a one-way street.

It always amazes me when people spend thousands of dollars on a trip, but are too cheap to buy a few travel books or too lazy to go to the library or use the internet for basic research.

Old Jul 18th, 2003, 12:11 PM

Yikes!!! This is certainly a contentious thread. Anyway, I apologize, I missed an "l" in my original posting. The website site for Killiane Castle as noted in an earlier posting is correct. My only other comment, depending on when you are going to Ireland, you might want to book some accomodation in advance, especially Dublin. Tourist season could make finding somewhere to stay a challenge.
Old Jul 19th, 2003, 05:29 PM

I just returned from a wonderful trip in Ireland that explored that very route - Dublin to Shannon. Two places in particular I must recommend for staying at. One is in the small village of Eyeries - Inches Bed and Breakfast. John and Maree are exceptional hosts and Maree is an awesome cook. Plus, the village has this great pub with huge windows overlooking the water - beautiful. I also recommend stopping in Kenmare - a marvelous city with several great pubs and lots of good shopping. When you are there, definitely stay at Virginia's Bed and Breakfast. They are extrememly gracious hosts, and have wonderful accomodations (and a great chef!). The bathrooms even had these neat towel warmers. I'm telling you, it was just luxury. Have fun and bring lots of film!