Search

"See it Spain" La Rioja drive advise

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"See it Spain" La Rioja drive advise

Hello,

My wife and I are living in Valencia and are taking a weekend trip to La Rioja. We just recently had our Fodor's "see it spain" book stolen and it had a great drive through Rioja that we would like to do. I cannot get the book replaced here and was wondering if anyone would be able to send me the information on the drive. What city it starts in (I think Alforo) and the the roads(highways) and maybe some of the stops. If anyone has the time to help it would be much appreciated.

Thank you

RAD
Old Nov 17th, 2011, 06:35 PM

Have you checked Maribel's Guide to the Rioja?
Old Nov 17th, 2011, 07:29 PM

Here's the link to Maribel's Guide - http://maribelsguides.com/mg_larioja.pdf

I also just checked for an e-reader version of the Fodor's See It Spain, but it's not available on Amazon.

Gee... I really wish it was!
Old Nov 19th, 2011, 03:39 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hola raedura,

I thought I'd got one when i saw this, and this morning I found it.

the route takes you from Alfaro via Calahorra in the east to San domingo de la Calzada in the west, along the N232. it says that it's 144 km and takes 4-6 hours.

here's a precis of the information in the book:

Alfaro - a main wine-producing town with several bodegas open for purchases but not tours unless pre-booked. at the confluence of 2 rivers, the main sight is the 16-17C Iglesia-Colegiata de san Miguel [interesting facade with triumphal arch] and inside, 15 retablos.

Leave Alfaro with the bullring on your right and the Bodega Palacios Remonodo on your left, take the N232 towards Logrono, heading for your first stop,

Calahorra. at confluence of 2 rivers, conquered by romans and moors before coming under the control of Navarre in 1045. Sights are the gothic cathedral, 16-18C Palacio Episcopal, and interesting churches including the Iglesia di san Francisco with a lovely baroque facade.

From the town rejoin the N232 towards logrono, passing under the AP-68, and through the vineyards past the village of el Villar de Arnedo, and crossing back over the AP-68 and following the signs to the centro urbano of

Logrono. Sights- the cathedral, Paseo do Espolon park, the pilgrim's pass along the Rua Vieja. Leave via the Puerta deRevellin, taking the N 232 towards Santander, passing the Palacio de vino on your right, towards

Fuenmajor. Pleasant town surrounded by vineyards, excellent restaurant opposite the church called "Meson Alameda". to leave, take the N 232 again right towards Vitoria-Gasteiz. after 6.5km, take a detour R to

Cenicero. Bodegas offering sales at the door. 16C Iglesia de San Martin. Return to the N232 and turn R. Near Banos de Ebro, pass a black bull silhouette. your next destination is on a hill on the right:

Briones. 16C iglesia de santa Maria at the top of the village - vaulted ceilings, blue organ over the entrance, and a "beautiful side chapel". Walk up behind the church to reach a promenade with bird's-eye views over the valley.

Return to the N232, and turn R towards Santander. At the junction of the N232 and N124, take the N124 towards Haro and Vitoria. Turn R towards Haro signposted AP-68, and then left at a roundabout into the town[straight on goes straight to Vitoria] following the centro urbano signs into

Haro. Modern town with elegant plaza major, impressive Iglesia de Santo Thomas. Plenty of bodegas, including the La Muga winery [not to be missed!]

Leave town by the LR-111/N126 [the road at the bottom of the hill below the plaza major] towards Santo Domingo de la Calzada. as you turn left there are great views of the mountains and valleys. straight over the N232, over a flat plain and through Castanares de Rioja. Under the N120 burgos road and continue through the trees to Santo Domingo.

Restaurants:

Fuenmajor, Meson Alameda, stylish with great fish. plaza felix Azpilicueta 1. tel 941 45 00 44. open Sept - July, not sun evenings or Monday.

Taberna de la Carta Esquina, calle Cuatro Esquinas 16. tel 941 13 43 55. well=priced traditional food.

La Muga winery in Haro. www.bodegasmuga.com tel 941 31 18 25 tours all year in Spaish at 11am and 4.30pm. some tours in summer in english.

hope this helps!!

We ventured into this area many years ago but got no further than Logrono. now you have drawn my attention to this drive, we might well have another go. When are you going?

Have a great time,

Ann
Old Nov 20th, 2011, 02:12 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so very much. you are awesome. We are living in valencia and were going to go this weekend but the weather was no good. we may try next week.
Old Nov 20th, 2011, 04:03 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi radeuro,

well, in one way I am glad that the weather was bad so that you now have the information before you go!

ironically the weather here in rainy Cornwall is lovely - just right for scenic tours; I have been in the garden picking the last of our peppers and tomatoes.

I hope that you have a lovely time - do let us know how it goes, so I can store the info incase we have the chance to do it sometime.