Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Secure, overnight parking in or near Cinque Terre?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will have a rental car and our cruise luggage with us. Secure overnight parking is probably best available through the hotel where we would be staying. But we are in our upper 70's, one of us with asthma which makes inclines possible but difficult. The few hotels I've found mention lots of steps like 200 or more. Does anyone know a hotel in or near Cinque Terre that has parking as part of the hotel or with a reasonable number of steps? I think this is a tough one.
Old Sep 11th, 2009, 03:17 PM

I would look at Portovenere or Levanto for that. In Portovenere--our favorite--look at Grand Hotel Portovenere or Royal Sporting Club. In Levanto look at Hotel Nazionale.
Old Sep 12th, 2009, 06:23 AM

The grand hotel Portovenere has underground parking and very few steps.

You can also park in Lerici, catch a bus down to the ferry terminal and ferry into Portovenere and all of the CT villages.
Old Sep 12th, 2009, 06:48 AM

I would suggest a hotel where we stayed in Levanto.....out from town a mile or two, up a hill and a "little" hard to find (the first time only Hotel Al Terra de Mare.
We are in our early 70's, have knee and ankle problems and it worked out fine. The views are beautiful and it is fairly remote. It is modern, but built to look like a Ligurian village. We asked for a room which required no steps and we were close to the office, dining room,,,but across a short courtyard. The rooms open to the outside,,,are very spacious and comfortable. Parking is very secure as it is small, covered (OR outside) on the lower level and there is an elevator down to that, and up the one floor to the main level.

The staff was more than lovely to deal with..and there is a shuttle into the town and station...Levanto. WE chose to take our car, park it at the station and spend the day off and on the train going to and from the 5 towns. Of course there was some walking involved,,,but that can be paced. It would be your call as to leaving your car at the train station......but you asked about secure car parking at the hotel,,, and you would certainly have it at the Al Terra di Mare.
Old Sep 12th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

All responses have been helpful and appreciated. We are checking all the suggestions and I'm sure we will be fine. You have eased my mind greatly.
mari5, at the risk of changing the topic a bit, do you have any other things we should be watchful for as we drive Italy for 2 weeks prior to our cruise? If this would be better addressed outside this topic...you could respond to [email protected].
Thanks again to everyone.
Old Sep 12th, 2009, 10:00 AM

The boats to CT towns run only on days the sea is calm enough to embark and disembark from the docks. None of the docks at CT are in protected harbors, so they take the brunt of the open ocean waves.

By boat, I think Monterosso and Vernazza require least up and downs to town. Riogmaggiore and Manarola are harder to get to town from the docks.

By train, Vernazza, Manarola, Riomaggiore are ok - require up and downs but at inclines suitable for utility vehicles. Monterosso train station to the old town walk is pleasant and is nearly flat but takes about 10min; about 1/3 to 1/2 of a mile?

Corniglia is perched way up the hill from either the train station or the dock.