Second thoughts about Provence - help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2014, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been planning this trip for over a year and a half. My plans have changed along the way but essentially it was to fly to Nice and then to train to Avignon or Arles and do day trips from there. I was going to stay half the time or so in Nice.

My dilemma is that I don't drive. I have read the posts and have posted some myself. I have looked at your photos (thanks to all who share their lovely photographs). I understand that having a vehicle makes this part of France far more enjoyable. Am I really doing the trip an injustice by not having a car? Should I wait for this part of France until I can find someone who can drive?

I look at the photographs of lavender fields and think about how beautiful it must be. I am willing to take day trips with an organized tour if need be.

Has anyone done this trip with both a car and then by public transportation and did you still enjoy yourself and get to see a lot?

Everyone is different - I am just seeking some opinions.

Thanks for all of your input in advance.
Old Feb 11th, 2014, 12:38 PM

Driving is essential to see the small villages in France. The local buses are too infrequent to allow for an efficient (and I do not mean hurried or crowded) day of visits. Go to the Provence and enjoy the larger towns and cities more accessible via public transportation. Friends of mine did just that and do not regret it.
Old Feb 11th, 2014, 12:53 PM

If you base in Aix en Provence thru the tourist office they have days tours to see the lavender and some of the other small villages. I am at work so I do not have their website info but try googling Aix en Provence tourist office.
If you can't find post back and I will look up their website when I am at home.
Old Feb 11th, 2014, 12:57 PM

We did the area by car, and it was fine for us and what we wanted to see. We stayed in Ville Franche sur Mer, half way between Nice and Monaco. When we wanted to do Nice, we took the bus (a 5 minute ride), when we did Monaco, we drove and explored the villages there and back on different corniches'. Did a morning in Cap Ferat, drove there, and returned and spent an afternoon just on the beach.
The real key is figuring out what you want to see and then figuring out how to make it work. We did drive to other areas of France which were not as readily accessible with train.
Good luck with your planning.
Old Feb 11th, 2014, 12:59 PM

Provence is beautiful and I wouldn't wait to find a driver to go with you. If there are some small towns that are not readily accessible by public transportation you could always hire a car for a day. Meanwhile, there are lots of towns to explore that are on bus/train routes.

I looked at one of your other threads and see that you have about 2 weeks. There are plenty of wonderful towns you can get to. It would be different if you were going for a couple of months; then you would want a car to get around. But for 2 weeks you'll be fine with public transportation.
Old Feb 11th, 2014, 01:54 PM

I think Avignon is more centrally located than Aix is to visit the lavender fields in the Luberon and around Sault. Aix may be closer to the fields near Valensole, however - but most of the "stuff" first-timers want to see is closer to Avignon than Aix.

When we were in the Luberon in '10, there was a small organized tour that was out of the van & taking pictures of a spectacular lavender field near Gordes. I've seen a few posts recently by people seeking out guided tours like this. Do a search, or a new post titled something like "Seeking info on small guided tours of lavender fields, small villages, and sites in Provence".

Don't wait - go while you can if you find a tour.

Stu Dudley
Old Feb 11th, 2014, 02:10 PM

I sometimes wonder if people read what the OP wrote before posting a response. If someone says they CAN'T drive, suggesting hiring for a day or talking about where you drove, is of no use to them at all.

Kelsey, you will be limited in where you can reasonably go using public transit, that's a fact. Whether to live with it and go where you can or wait till you can 'find soemeone who can drive' is up to you.

Personally, I would say you will be able to find more than enough to see and do for 2 weeks with or without a car. Other than that, I don't see what you can expect anyone to tell you.
Old Feb 11th, 2014, 03:43 PM

<< suggesting hiring for a day >>

Duh...the car would have a driver. It's a reasonable suggestion and an alternative to public transportation or group tours.
Old Feb 11th, 2014, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all your helpful comments and recommendations. I have had very useful, insightful valuable information from fodorites...so keep it coming. I am going to post for a recommendation on a mini tour. I often want to do everything and perhaps with a taste of Provence, I will be inspired to come back. Obviously, it will be my decision but I hope that this post will be useful to not only me but to others who would like to do the same.
Old Feb 11th, 2014, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

Adrienne - you always make me laugh!
Old Feb 11th, 2014, 03:55 PM

Old Feb 11th, 2014, 03:57 PM

Here's how one fodorite did it:
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-june-2012.cfm
Old Feb 11th, 2014, 04:01 PM

Stay in Avignon

- Take trains to Arles, Nimes, l'Isle sur la Sorgue, Orange, Montpelier, Cavaillon, Marseille, and Aix.

- Buses run down the N100 from Cavaillon to Apt. You could get off the bus and visit some of the hill villages if you are a good walker. There are other buses too - but like the N100 schedule, you may be "waiting" a bit.

- Hire a car & driver as adrienne suggested

- Inquire in Avignon about group tours

Plenty of ideas.

Stu Dudley
Old Feb 11th, 2014, 04:08 PM

Hello - I am new to the forums but have been reading them for a long time. To the OP, I did this trip in reverse Sept '13 starting in Avignon (5 days), then took the TGV to Nice for another 5 days.

I traveled with 2 others and we did not have a car. We booked mini van excursions from both places, took the local train from Avignon to Nîmes one day and also booked a private driver one day. We did several excursions from Nice to Monaco, Antibes and Cannes plus did many things in Nice.

Not having a car didn't mean we didn't get around! I would not let not being able to drive keep you from going!
Old Feb 11th, 2014, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

What great responses!

@powhatangal -do you happen to remember the company?
Old Feb 11th, 2014, 07:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I don't drive and stayed in Avignon one year and took the trains to many places. There were excursion buses back then that took you to some villages. Don't know if they still exist.
Old Feb 11th, 2014, 07:58 PM

Someone recently posted this link on another thread for daytrips that I saved:

http://www.avignon-et-provence.com/t...m#.UuXOeGg76f0
Old Feb 11th, 2014, 08:36 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
Bookmarking
Old Feb 12th, 2014, 02:14 AM

Kelsey: We used Viator for their Tour of Provence. I was hesitant about a 10 hour day but it was lots is fun. There were 8 of us and the driver Anne was very knowledgeable and spoke perfect English. Viator has many other Provence excursions (many are 1/2 day) to choose from.

If you take the train to Nîmes, the arena and Maison Carrée is a pleasant stroll from the station. I had a wonderful lunch at Café Jazz on the square at the Maison Carrée!

Have fun planning!
Old Feb 12th, 2014, 04:10 AM

Many years ago on an AOL board there was a nice fellow from NYC who didn't drive either. Everyone sort of poo-poohed his ability to get around but he did, and had a great trip. It will take some planning and flexibility, but I'm sure it can be done. After all, if you take a bus (or a tour bus), you are seeing the same scenery en route to say, Gordes, that we did when driving. Persevere!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -