May. 30. Kenmare

May. 31. Kenmare

June. 1. Drive. To Dingle. Overnight

June. 2. Dingle

June. 3. Doolin area. Overnight

June. 4. Drive to Clifden. Overnight

June. 5. Clifden

June. 6. Drive to Dublin airport. Return car and stay in airport hotel

Thanks to suggestions for days activities from fodors and trip advisor forums I'm pretty well set. Just wanted feedback on days in places and route. I've checked viamichelin so I know the distances etc.

HELP PLEASE
Old Nov 1st, 2012, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just to bump this up.. Looks fine apart from the night in Doolin which I say is a nice place to visit nut personally I need more than 2 bars and 1 eatery to chose from,
Old Nov 1st, 2012, 04:39 PM

Yes, if your stay in "Doolin area" means someplace close to the Cliffs of Moher, but not Doolin itself, then this looks fine. If you actually intend to stay overnight in Doolin, I'd re-think that. As Tony says, it's a small village with nothing to do there. I overnighted there last year and I would not recommend it to others.
Old Nov 1st, 2012, 06:31 PM
dac
Original Poster

Actually i am now thinking of doing it in the reverse.
Tony and longhorn yes my intent on the ride down south is to see the Cliffs and break up the drive to Dingle. What about the town of ballyvaughn? Open to suggestions.

Thank you both for responding.
Old Nov 2nd, 2012, 11:03 AM

My vote always goes to Ennis but Lahinch or Ennistymon south of the Cliffs might be a better splitter than Ballyvaughan. Kinvara would get my personal vote north of the cliffs but wouldn't best suit your needs.
Old Nov 2nd, 2012, 12:59 PM

I'm not sure how far you want to drive after visiting Clifden (assuming your do your itinerary in reverse.) Ballyvaughan is certainly an option, but, like Tony, I like Kinvara very much. The town has a lot of good restaurants and shops and there's a nice castle to see. It's only an hour's drive to the Cliffs of Moher from there. Should you decide to stay there, I highly recommend the Clareview House B&B. It's in a quiet location just a couple miles outside of town and the owner could not have been nicer. We stayed only one night, but I wish we had stayed longer.
Old Nov 14th, 2012, 03:59 PM
dac
Original Poster

ttt
Old Nov 15th, 2012, 02:11 AM

dac try running the question on TA Ireland forums where you might get more respondents. (but keep the same name to avoid my confusion)
Old Dec 4th, 2012, 10:40 AM

I am assuming the reason you are staying in Kemare is for the Ring of Kerry? I am not sure if you are taking a tour or not, but we did the Ring of Kerry early in the morning and then just drove the rest of the day to Dingle. If you were willing to do that, then I would decrease the amount of time spent in Kemare and spend that day driving to Kinsale and stopping at the Rock of Cashel on the way. I would also suggest stopping at Kilarney National Park on the way and hike around the trails if you are outdoorsy people... It was beautiful, and I wish we would have known that ahead of time to allot more time for it. If you do decide to go to Kinsale, I would reccomend staying at The Olde Bakery B&B; we really enjoyed it. Also, in Kemare, the Watersedge Bed and Breakfast was fantastic. It was my husband's favorite place. It is a little bit outside of town, but it is still totally within walking distance from town. I also agree with the Doolin. It is a small town with not much to do aside from music and pubs. It also seems to be turning it to a touristy area; a lot of the places seem very new. If you have time though, you could visit the Aran Islands from Doolin which is the one thing we didn't have time to do, and I wish we could have fit it in. Have fun; we had the most fantastic 2 weeks in Ireland this summer!