Reload this Page >

Seasickness Going Across The Channel...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 09:53 PM
Julie

I will be traveling from London to Bruges this summer and have a decision to make - train, or ferry?<BR><BR>I would love to take the ferry and don't mind the extra time that it would take, but I have herd that even 'seasoned sailors' get seasick going across the Channels turbulent waters.<BR><BR>I am not prone to motion sickness, but was wondering if anyone out there has an opinion that they would like to share?<BR><BR>Thank you muchly!

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 10:21 PM
mpprh

Hi<BR><BR>It is very rare to sea people suffering from seasickness, even on the longer crossings.<BR><BR>They now use much bigger boats than they had until about 1995.<BR><BR>My wife, who can be seasick occasionally, has only once had a very "quiet and withdrawn" crossing.<BR><BR>We have crossed up to 10 times per year , at all times of the year, for the last 15 years.<BR><BR>Unless you are hyper sensitive don't worry about it<BR><BR>Peter<BR>

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 12:10 AM
Kate B

Hi Julie<BR><BR>Look up a message from Harvey a few days ago about whether to go from London to Bruges by train or ferry. Plenty of replies on the seasick angle. I always get seasick on the cross-channel ferries and wouldn't go on one again if you paid me!<BR><BR>Best<BR><BR>Kate B, London

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 05:06 AM
kate

Well, you take your chances, as the Channel can be rough. I've done it many times, but was only sick the once, on a very long crossing. It also may have something to do with the amount of time I'd spent in the bar.<BR><BR>You'd only be doing a short crossing, so it should be ok.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 07:47 AM
Shanna

Hi, Julie. I've made the crossing in December in very rough weather. I'm a sailor and had never before (or since) been seasick but my stomach was a bit queasy that day. As soon as I noticed, I got something to eat and a shandy (lemony beer), sat down and relaxed. then I was fine. It won't hurt, if you get seasick regularly, to take something before you go. Or to use one of those wrist things which people have said do work, although how I can't imagine. I'm glad someone besides me likes the ferries - to me they are just incredibly romantic and make the trip a "trip," not just being somewhere else, but actually "going" somewhere else. Have fun!

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 08:17 AM
Fred

See it in a third of the time and take the hydrofoil.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 08:35 AM
AnnaC

I just don't seem to get seasick at all, so maybe not the best person to answer this, but I'll try.<BR><BR>I have seen people be very seasick on channel crossings during bad weather. But then, I've crossed during gales where the ferry had trouble docking - any worse than that and they wouldn't have sailed.<BR><BR>Usually, though, it is fine. Unless you are very sensitive and get seasick easily (and it sounds like you're not and don't) you should have no trouble.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 09:36 PM
Linda

I've made the crossing many times and never had a problem. OK, let's assume I'm somebody who doesn't get seasick. But, except the one time it was very, very rough, I've seldom seen anybody get ill on the ferry. They are fairly stable and the channel is uaually quiet. If it gets too rough, they stop the sailings. the one time we were in rough weather, we were the last ferry to cross that day because they had stopped sailing due to the weather.