Reload this Page >

Help!Getting married in Ireland!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27th, 1997, 09:07 PM
Roxanne

I am planning on getting married and spending my honeymoon in Ireland.Any ideas,suggestions,advise or warnings??

Old Oct 27th, 1997, 09:12 PM
corky

Why are you getting married in Ireland if you don't have any ideas or suggestions yourself?? Why are you getting married there? Just because? People amaze me!

Old Oct 27th, 1997, 10:17 PM
Eli

Regarding the "advise, warnings..." part: a recent study shows that over 40%25 of couples get divorced at the end, in the long run. Are you sure you don't want to think it over??

Old Oct 28th, 1997, 05:07 AM
Lanny

Don't we all sound like a crass bunch of non-believers in true love (been there, done that myself, before I wised up!) My question is, which Ireland? Northern? Southern? Not to rain on your parade, but may I suggest you conduct the nuptials somewhere where the divorce laws are not unnecessarily complicated, so that if your marriage does happen to end at some point in future, a possibility I am sure you can't even conceive of right now -- you don't find yourself trying to get a legal divorce where you reside which may be contingent on your first getting divorced in the jurisdiction in which you were wed. Ireland would not be my first choice in those circumstances. My suggestion: marry at home (if you must), then honeymoon in Ireland.

Old Oct 28th, 1997, 07:38 AM
Tim Walshe

Hi,
Interesting twist on the nuptial thing. However just a few bits of information in case you decide to go ahead with it. A wedding in Ireland generally takes the form of the ceremony, followed by a reception. Variations on this them abound, with ceremonys being civil, or a variety of religous types. Also receptions, from small afairs, with a few guests and drinks to more lavish affairs. Typically though a standard day might proceed as follows: Midday to early afternoon, ceremony, followed by photographic session in a location of your choosing. Reception at one of the larger hotels for a party varying in size from 25 to 200 guests. The reception,band,cermony , photographer should be booked 1 year in advance. Honeymoons are easier to organise, and there are some very romantic locations around the county. The Irish Tourist Board should be able to help you on this.
Best of luck with this and wishing you every happiness,
regards,
Tim.

Old Oct 29th, 1997, 07:03 AM
brigid

Roxanne, I must express my best wishes to you and your love, and a wonderful marriage with a long and happy life together. I know you are entering into your marriage committment for a lifetime, so ignore the nay-sayers. You didn't indicate any religious preferences, but If you plan to marry in the Republic I'm guessing you are Catholic. You'll need a letter from your parish priest, and for your fiancee indicating you have attended marriage Preparedness classes, are practicing Catholics, etc. You will also neeed proof of Baptism. Your priest can help you with contacting the parish where you want to marry in Ireland. If you have a family member in Ireland they should be able to help on there end. You'll need permission from the Bishop of Ireland, which is requested from your parish priest. You will not find the services as contemporary as in America (if you are American) they pretty much stick to the Collect of Matrimony. If you are Episcool (Anglican) the process is mostly the same. You will find more anglican Churches in the larger villages or cities. In the country side you will find mostly Catholic Churches.

contact your country's consulate to find out any legal requirements for the marriage to be recognized in your home country. In the USA this is no problem, the marriage will be recognized.

Regarding location, you may be steered by your family area. If not, I think the west is most beautiful but the weather is rough and can be wet and windy. Kerry, Galway, Mayo are spectacular.

Dublin is a big city which millions of people love, I find it dirty and noisy and it would not be my choice.

I don't know anything about Northern Ireland, you can probably get info there from the British Consolate.

Good luck and happiness.

Old Oct 29th, 1997, 10:19 AM
Elle

Hi!

I'm not certain if the above have mentioned but if you plan to marry in a Catholic Church here, you must notify the Church at least 6 months before the wedding. There are forms to be filled in etc. I'm going through similar preparations myself and if you want my advise - cut corners! Ireland is a very expensive place to get married if you plan on having a decent sized reception. If it is in the South that you are marrying and want to have your reception I advise you to book it all a.s.a.p. I'm not getting married for 18months yet I've had to book the Hotel and Church already. When are you getting married ?

Old Oct 30th, 1997, 01:05 PM
Tricia

To Roxanne or Avril-Saw your posting in eurotrip travel forum and it contains more info than you gave us here- hope its ok to let the folks here (since they have been helpful but its hard without a lot of info, you know) know some more facts-Roxanne or Avril is Irish, getting marrid in Limerick or possibly Clare (has family in Limerick). Her boyfriend is an American.

Old Oct 31st, 1997, 01:34 AM
Tim Walshe

Hi Tricia,
If I understand you this may be relevant: recently got married in Limerick. Some lovely Hotels in Region, not least of which in Limerick City, Adare, and Co. Clare. I would recommend shopping around, but by and large they should expect to book a year in advance. Lovely Church's abound, though it is usual for the bride to marry in her home church, there is a lovely chapel in Cratloe Co. Clare. Best Wishes, Tim.

Old Dec 7th, 1997, 10:36 AM
Julia

Roxanne,

Congratulations on your engagement!

I'm planning a wedding in Ireland, also. The west coast is lovely, but you must be prepared for the possibility of rain. In the southeast, along the Waterford and Wexford coasts, the climate seems a bit milder. For a great place to stay and if you plan on having a small wedding (as I do -- 20 or so people), you might consider a manor house. Call the Irish Tourism Board (office in New York City, I believe) and ask them to send your their listings of manor houses (one is called Ireland's Blue Book, but there are others).

Best wishes to you!