Search

SE Questions

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SE Questions

Hey gang - I'm working on an itenerary for some off the beaten path sites in I'll spend 4-5 days in Istanbul, and then have approximately nine days in the southeast. The basic plan is:

4 days Şanlıurfa (day trips to Halfeti, Göbekli Tepe)
Overnight to Kahta /Nemrut Dağı
4 days Mardin (day trips to Tur Abdin region, Hasankeyf, and Dara/Anastasiopolis)

My first question is whether it would be worthwhile to spend the night in some of the smaller places like Halfeti, Midyat, or Hasankeyf. I like having the freedom to explore without thinking about having to catch the last bus back. On the other hand, moving to a new hotel (packing, finding the hotel, registering) is always such a time-sink. That, and it's nicer to return to a place that has restaurants and activity at night.

My second question is whether it would be worthwhile to shave a day off some of the above and to add a day in Gaziantep (for the food!) or Diyarbakır.

(and any recommendations on mid-range hotels would be appreciated! There seem to be a lot of choices in Urfa, but not many for Mardin)
Old May 8th, 2009, 04:02 AM

Hiya,

I highly recommend visiting Hasankeyf for a full day. Not only can you leisurely spend that time climbing the historic ruins and checking out the old cave dwellings and churches, you'll be able to sit and have a tea with the locals. As for staying the night in Hasankeyf, you might be better off staying the night in Batman, which is about a 30-minute bus ride away. There's really nothing to see in Batman, but the accommodation options are better.

Diyarbakir is totally cool. I think spending at least one full day, preferably two, would be great. It really is a fascinating city and if history is your thing, the city's got tons of it. We went to Diyarbakir for one day in January and are planning to go back again this summer to see more of it.

I live in Istanbul and write a blog about expatriate life and travelling in Turkey. I've got some info on Batman if you're interested. It's at www.turkishmuse.com
Old May 8th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

I've been hearing more and more interesting things about Diyarbakır; now I'm thinking I might go for an even split: 3 days each in Şanlıurfa, Mardin, and Diyarbakır, and then one night for Nemrut Dağı.

Hasankeyf looks like it's an easy day trip from Diyarbakır or Mardin, especially if I wake up and get moving early, yeah?
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 05:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bookmarking
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 02:49 AM

Looks like a good plan and adding Gaziantep is a good idea too.
Happy travelling,

Murat