SE Belgium Oct.19 hotels?

Oct 16th, 2000, 02:37 PM
Steve

SE Belgium Oct.19 hotels?

We made last minute Delta reservations on an Atlanta-to-Brussels flight for this Wed. (Oct. 18). We will rent a car and drive toward the Ardennes (Dinant, Bouillon, Florenville, etc.). Trying to find a quaint hotel/castle/whatever in that general area for 4-5 days. Like to hike, eat, drink Belgian beer.

Any suggestions? What will the weather be like, other than chance of rain? Thanks in advance. --- Steve

Oct 16th, 2000, 04:57 PM
wes fowler

Steve,
Here's a couple that have websites:

Chateau du Pont D'Oye in Habay-la-Neuve (between $70.00 and $130.00 for a double room)
www.chateaudupontdoye.be

Auberge le Vieux Moulin in Poupehan (Bouillon) (between $65.00 and $80.00 for a double)

www.horest.be/pages/fr/hotels/434.htm

Hostellerie Sainte-Cecile in Sainte-Cecile (Florenville) ($70.00 for a double)

www.horest.be/pages/fr/hotels/126.htm

All are three star accommodations, each is distinctive in its own way. Weather should be brisk and not too different from what Atlanta has experienced in the last week or so.

Oct 16th, 2000, 04:58 PM
Diane

In 1996 I stayed in a beautiful manor house on the river. "Au Vachter", Chaussee de, Namur, 140, 5537, Anhee.
Sorry, I don't have a phone number. We were just driving down the road and spotted this house. We stayed one night and didn't want to leave, but they were booked. The rooms facing the road may be noisy, but the rooms facing the river will be quiet. The setting is idealic. They had lots of plaques hanging up outside their dining room, which looke marvelous, but a bit expensive for us budget folks. At the time it cost about $100 for a single room with breakfast. The room and the bedroom were huge, the view gorgeous. It's the kind of place you want to hang around in and absorb the atmosphere. One of my memories was sitting on the back veranda eating breakfast off Limoges china.

Oct 16th, 2000, 05:52 PM
wes fowler

Steve,
Diane's recommendation, Le Vachter in Anhee does not have a website. You can contact them at tel: 08261 13 14 and via fax at 08261 28 58. Double rooms now range from $62.00 to $115.00

Oct 16th, 2000, 11:17 PM
Myriam

Weather forecast for the next days: Thursday and Friday 12C (52F) and rainy ; less rain and a little warmer as from Saturday. Do take your umbrella cause you never know here in Belgium !!
Enjoy your stay.

Oct 17th, 2000, 05:47 AM
I Will Bethere

Myriam
Since you live in Belgium, what may I expect weather wise third week of November? Will be in Brugge then for a couple of days before heading back into France. Average temps that time of year? Lots of rain?

Oct 17th, 2000, 06:23 AM
Myriam

November is not the best time of the year to come to Belgium with usually lots of rain and wind. As suggested to the other poster: do bring an umbrella. It may get cold end November, sometimes around freezing temp, mostly between 4-10C.

Oct 17th, 2000, 07:53 AM
Steve

Thanks to all for your help and advice!

Oct 17th, 2000, 08:22 AM
Al

We found a splendid bed & breakfast by using the Gites de Wallonie web site. If it were mine to choose and I wanted to stay in a hotel, I would definitely choose either Dinant and/or Bouillon as a base. You should have no worries about making reservations. It is definitely the "off" season.

Oct 17th, 2000, 11:20 AM
Myriam

Al, I hope you don't mind a small correction. The Ardennes are not off season in October/November. These months are top season for gastronomy (wild boar, pheasant, hind, etc.) and especially during weekends hotels and restaurants may be much frequented.

Oct 17th, 2000, 04:21 PM
Al

Myriam, you probably are right. We just returned from the Ardennes where we spent a week. Because Americans tend to eat earlier than Europeans, we found ourselves eating almost alone day after day. Our hotels and B&Bs were almost empty, other than the weekends. I wouldn't know about wild game because I can't stand the taste. My old stomach gives me problems with anything but the plainest of food. I leave the fancy sauces and desserts to others. But those frites surely would have been my downfall if we had stayed in Belgium much longer. They are magnificent.