Screener sleeping on the job!

Feb 19th, 2002, 09:20 AM
  #1  
Concerned
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Screener sleeping on the job!

No lie...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,45949,00.html
 
Feb 19th, 2002, 09:48 AM
  #2  
Anon
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Makes me feel sick to my stomach.., if I was sleeping on the job I would be fired in a NY minute.

I hope the person was fired.
 
Feb 19th, 2002, 10:46 AM
  #3  
Concerned
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
No one else has a probem with this???
 
Feb 19th, 2002, 10:54 AM
  #4  
anon also
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
The work I am ignoring here while I monitor this forum 4 or 5 times a day at "work" is much more important than the pointless "screening" of airplane passengers.

My boss would have a much smaller productivity loss if I just went and took a nap for an hour, and didn't spend all this time here on Fodors.

Let those of us who are without sin cast the first stone at this poor screener.

Besides, they're government employees now. There will be no reprecussions, except maybe assign more of them to the job per shift.

At the taxpayers' expense.
 
Feb 19th, 2002, 10:56 AM
  #5  
Don
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
I'd like to advance a few theories as to how this atrocity could have happened.

First: The "Manager Put Me on Consecutive Shifts and We Had Lots of Late Landings 'til the Wee Hours the Night Before" theory.

Second, the "Narcolepsy and the Americans With Disabilities Act." Maybe it's a medical condition. Hmm, does Tom Ridge's infamous beauracratic chart have authority over ADA administration?

Third, and my personal favourite: The "Terrorist Slipped a Mickey into the Baggage Screeners Coffee Pot theory." I mean who would ever know if it was decaf?
 
Feb 19th, 2002, 11:07 AM
  #6  
x
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
You might note that this was at Louisville. One of the airports that hasn't been taken over by the Federal Government, yet.

My question is, why didn't a passengar notify a supervisor? For security measures to work the public has to participate in the process.

If you're flying and you see a security guard sleeping - tell someone. You're the one on the plane!
 
Feb 19th, 2002, 11:34 AM
  #7  
xxx
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
"If you're flying and you see a security guard sleeping - tell someone."

Surely you jest! Just discreetly awake the snoozing screener and proceed on --

After all, we are the ones stuck in those lines and delayed because managment feels the need to grab headlines by clearing a terminal.
 
Feb 19th, 2002, 11:54 AM
  #8  
x
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
"After all, we are the ones stuck in those lines and delayed because managment feels the need to grab headlines by clearing a terminal."

Grab headlines! This isn't about headlines, it is about stopping bad guys and protecting the flying public.

A security person DOES their job when they DON'T make headlines. Clearing the the terminal means they DIDN'T do their job.

Get real and recognize that we are at war.
 
Feb 19th, 2002, 03:48 PM
  #9  
x
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
He was not working for the federal government.He was emplyed by a security company-and a National Guardsman found him asleep and woke him,reported him,and they had to bring all thosepeople back for re-screening. Just another example of overworking underpaying people not up to the job.
 
Feb 19th, 2002, 04:01 PM
  #10  
lucy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Not that it is an equal comparison, but I recently visited the one of the Smithsonian Institutes and saw a gaurd on duty sleeping by the front door. That is our tax dollars at work!
 
Feb 19th, 2002, 04:09 PM
  #11  
ryan
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Lucy,
Only 62% of his sleep was subsidized by the Federal Government. Fundraising activities covered the other 38% of his time.
 
Feb 19th, 2002, 04:22 PM
  #12  
xxxxxxxxx
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
I might question the reliability of the reporting source -- this is, after all, the network bringing us 'The Glutton Bowl.'
 
Feb 19th, 2002, 05:03 PM
  #13  
dan
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
This could happen to anyone who has no sense of value to thier job. Fire them and hire (pay) people who care.
 
Feb 19th, 2002, 05:13 PM
  #14  
safe
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
The Feds have it now boys and girls. Isn't that great?

Why is it I don't feel safer?
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:55 AM.