Scotland with older teens

Old Oct 4th, 2007, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scotland with older teens

In the Spring I plan to return to Scotland for 2-3 weeks with my 2 university aged Canadian kids, so they can see where their late dad grew up. We will probably rent a small car to have lots of flexibility. We'll be in Dunoon area, Edinburgh and then head north, maybe to Skye and Mull and to the Herbrides. I'm looking for some ideas to keep the costs in line, stress low and memorys very positive. What are the family hostels like or would a B&B be better?

Thanks for any and all ideas
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 09:26 AM

ttt
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 09:48 AM

Jonseyi,

Having just travelled in Europe with three teens this summer, I can offer some general tips (I have not travelled specifically in Scotland).

1. Determine how well the teens sleep together in a double bed (if either they are both the same sex, or one is the same sex as you). Our boys don't sleep well together at all, so it was much better for everyone to arrange a seperate bed for each to ensure a good night's sleep. You can book triple rooms vs. the usually higher cost of one single and one double room. We used B&B's to ensure a little privacy. We haven't used family hostels, so I can't comment on them directly.

2. Get the kid's involved in the planning. Find out what they want to see and include some of these things in the plans.

3. Don't overplan. You may want to pick out your destinations and make accomodation reservations, but don't get locked into a set itinerary where you have certain sights scheduled for certain days. You may decide to stay extra at one sight, you may add or drop something, you may want a day to relax. Leave room for this type of flexibility.

4. Ideas to keep costs in line: If breakfast isn't included in the price of your rooms, visit a local bakery or market for breakfast foods. Go to the market to pick up snacks and water, and picnic for lunch sometimes. Or you could make lunch be the special meal out and picnic for dinner.

5. Have the kids read some about the areas you are going to visit before you leave, to help them get excited about the trip.

6. Keep everyone focused on the positives throughout the trip. There will be some stresses, some rooms or meals that aren't the best. Just keep thinking about the good parts and especially over time - that's all that you will remember
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 09:52 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Hi, welcome to Fodors.

One thing - 2 weeks vs 3 weeks will make a huge difference re how much you can see/do. So you definitely need to pin down how long the trip will be.

B&Bs will be just about as cheap as hostels unless you get dorm rooms. Many rural B&Bs will have family rooms so you'd only have to pay for one room but still have an ensuite or ptivate bath.

Rooms in Edinburgh will be more expensive but there are budget B&Bs even in Edinburgh. One problem though is driving and parking in Edinburgh. Many B&Bs will not have parking and driving in the city can be quite difficult. So I would plan your trip to either begin or end in Edinburgh. That way you can 1) pick up your rental car after a few days in Edinburgh -- or -- 2) turn it in after touring around and then head into the city at the end of the trip.

GLA > Dunoon > Inveraray > Oban > Mull > Lochaline > Mallaig > Skye > Glencoe > the Trossach/Stirling > Edinburgh (or in reverse order) would be a very nice 2 week trip w/o rushing too much. 2 nights on Mull, 2 or 3 nights on Skye, and 3 nights in Edinburgh leaves 6-7 days to cover the other bits.

W/ 3 weeks you'd have time to go farther north or east and see some of the northern Highlands, and/or East coast and/or St Andrews/Fife.
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 09:55 AM
tod

Jonseyj - We hope to be in Skye & Mull in May so hope to bump into you (lol)!
Because it's just two of us we are thinking along the lines of a small motohome so that it's easy to manouvre but has cooking & loo facilities (and a large bed!) wherever we go.
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 09:55 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
was posting the same time as Momof3.

Just one quick point - you wil VERY hard pressed to find a B&B or country hotels in Scotland that does not include breakfast. And they are almost always very filling fully cooked b'fasts so no one will go hungry.
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your comments. Looks like I should start my more detailed research and perhaps then ask more specific questions. Cheers & happy travels