Reload this Page >

Scotland trip needs shaping up -trying again

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 09:56 AM
MarySue

Trying again - something happened to my message. <BR> <BR>Planning a trip to Scotland in May for my husband and me. We want to enjoy the scenery, visit some historic sites and also do some relaxing, so we're not looking to rush around to cover the whole area. Here's what I have so far: <BR>Day 1 Arrive in Glasgow, drive to Glen Coe <BR>Day 2 Glen Coe area <BR>Day 3 Drive to Skye <BR>Day 4 Skye <BR>Day 5 Skye <BR>Day 6 Drive to St Andrews <BR>Day 7 St Andrews/Drive to Glasgow <BR>Day 8 depart from Glasgow <BR> <BR>My problem is that the two places that I most want to - St Andrews and Skye - are far away from each other. Should I give up on St Andrews and concentrate on the Highlands? Any suggestions for the last couple of days? Advice will be greatly appreciated.

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 10:33 AM
Shane

Hi; <BR>We went to Scotland last year and we went in reverse order. We landed in Glasgow however we took the train to Edinburgh as soon as we could. We spent a couple of days there before renting a car and heading up to St. Andrews - beautiful spot (especially if you are a golfer) before continuing onto Pitlochry. <BR> <BR>We spent the next couple of days up in the Highlands before going down through Glen Coe to Fort William and Stirling. We flew out of Glasgow on Day 8. <BR> <BR>Now, are you taking the train (if it goes between those two destinations) or renting a car? I don't believe the drive is excessive - the motorways are very good. If I recall correctly, I believe it is approximately 4 hours from Isle of Skye to St. Andrews. <BR> <BR>Sheila, can you verify if this is close? <BR> <BR>Also, if you have any chance to squeeze in Edinburgh it would be well worth your while - even a day for the castle. Hope this helps!!

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 11:02 AM
John

MarySue, you can make it from Skye to St. Andrews in 5 hours or so, maybe a little less depending on your pedal foot. If that's what you want, I say go for it. Staying in the Glen Coe area raises a question - there are relatively few accommodations in the glen per se, so what's your tolerance for not staying there, but around Ft. William instead? (Lots of places there, but not terribly rural or romantic.)

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 11:17 AM
MarySue

Thanks Shane and John. Yes, we will be renting a car for the whole trip. Would definitely like to go to Edinburgh but unsure about squeezing it in. I added Glen Coe because it seems like an easy drive for the day of our arrival - I am definitely not wed to it and could do without the extra day there if it doesn't merit our time. Maybe take it out, go on to Skye on Day 3, then have an added day to either journey to or spend in St. Andrews or go to Edinburgh. Thanks for the advice!

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 11:27 AM
KT

Not to be the voice of doom, but... <BR> <BR>If you're planning on being out and about in the countryside, be aware that there are currently restrictions on off-road walking in rural areas due to foot and mouth. For instance, the National Trust for Scotland is asking people to stay away from its countryside properties, which includes about 14 thousand acres of Glencoe. More generally, the government has basically asked everyone to not walk in the countryside, even in areas that are, like the Highlands, so far unaffected by the disease. You can still walk on lanes though, just not overland. <BR> <BR>It's anybody's guess as to what the situation will be in May. I'm hoping for the best, since I've planned two weeks entirely in rural northern Scotland, but you might want to make contingency plans. <BR> <BR>People have posted other websites here for F&M info, such as the BBC and MAFF (the relevant government agency). Specifically for Scotland, you could also look at the National Trust (www.nts.org.uk) and the Scottish Tourist Board (www.visitscotland.com).

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 12:32 PM
Stinger

Eight day's in Scotland will seem like 8 minutes. ; ) <BR>I would almost have to agree with Shane and say to go the opposite way. Whatever you do, DO NOT MISS EDINBURGH!!!! My most favorite city in the world...so far. <BR> <BR>I would suggest something closer to what Shane did. I would suggest going straight to Edinburgh as soon as you land in Glasgow. The train is a great idea as well. It keeps you from renting a car for more days than you will need. For you WILL NOT need a car in Edinburgh. I would suggest at least one full day in old town and for the castle. A day and a half or two would be better but I understand you want to see the other places too. It's not that far from Edinburgh to St. Andrews so I would suggest: <BR> Arrive in Edinburgh on day 1 then enjoy the rest of the day and part of day 2. This would give you a chance to go and do anything that you didn't have time for on day 1 (and there will be LOTS of that. Then in the afternoon get a car and head to St. Andrews. Call ahead first and get a B&B or wherever you plan to stay. This ensures that you won't be hunting a place to stay in the dark should you get waylaid on the trip for some unforseen reason. <BR> <BR>St Andrews is small so unless you just want to explore the town and play golf, a day is sufficient. However you may want to stay another night just to be fresh for the drive to Sky. Or travel half way to Sky in the afternoon of day 3 stoping somplace like Loch Lomand. I always prefer this method because you get to see more in the same amount of time, though it can get tiring if you do it too much. Either way, I would be on Sky on day 4. <BR> <BR>You could go toward Sky either via Glen Coe and the fairy from Mallaig in the south or go north and over the bridge near Glen Shiel to the island. I would suggest going north over the bridge then tour the island anyway you'd like and perhaps leave via the fairy. The reason is because if you are fond of scenery and the outdoors (hiking, walking, etc.) you will DEFINITELY LOVE Glen Coe. It's simply fantastic and you will want to do more than just drive through it. A full day at least if you're into the outdoors. <BR> <BR>Any combo of days from day 4 to day 7 would be appropriate for the whole Sky, Glen Coe, Fort William area. Then I would make the short trip back to Glasgow on day 7 to be ready to depart on day 8. Above all, take time to stop and enjoy ANYTHING that remotely looks interesting to you. Don't just speed from point A to point B. In Scotland, there is SO much in between that you simply shouldn't miss. <BR> <BR>I hope this helps! Have a good time! I wish I was going with you!!

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 01:02 PM
Kathleen

MarySue, <BR>I am going to Scotland in June for 13 days, and I have done alot of research and asked many a question of the Fodorites. I will also be landing in Glasgow and taking the train directly to Edinburgh for a few days. I will then rent a car and hit St.Andrews, Huntley, Loch Ness, Skye for a few days, then Glen Coe, Loch Awe, Dumbarton and Glasgow. You are going to most of the places I've been told Not To Miss, but you should add in Edinburgh. When you get back please POST and let me know the best of the best. By the way Alamo has 25% off if you reserve a car via the internet, that is the best rate I have found so far. <BR> <BR> Kathy <BR>

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 03:49 AM
MarySue

Thanks so much for all the advice. Stinger, I think I will rework the itinerary so that we get to Edinburgh, then work around the way you suggested. Thanks for the warning, KT, I guess I am being optimistic! Kathleen, thanks for the info about Alamo, and don't worry, I will post a full report! I love planning a trip - to me it is half of the fun of traveling, and this forum is such a great resource. Thanks.

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 04:22 AM
sylvia

We often stay in Fort Augustus. It's on Loch Ness and fairly quiet. When we're there we sometimes take the ferry to Skye from Mallaig and then drive to Kylerhea and take a tiny little ferry to Glenelg and then drive back to Fort Augustus. It makes a nice round trip. <BR>St. Andrews is a charming little place. I hope you can get to see it, but it would certainly be a shame to miss Edinburgh. The midgies shouldn't be a problem in May. When they are around, they're no joke!

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 05:10 AM
frank

For your first night: Glencoe itself is best left to mountaineers, you'll be jetlagged, stop at Loch Lomond (quite a few hotels along this long loch, Luss is a nice spot)or Glen Orchy (only hotel on the main road here is the Glen Orchy hotel), these are before Glencoe.Or after Glencoe is Ballachullish then across the bridge is Onich -the Onich hotel has a lovely view up loch Leven, hotel is on left side of road 1/2 mile after the bridge.

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 06:24 AM
Mel

PLEASE don't miss Edinburgh! It's a beautiful, easily walked place. E-mail me if you want the name of a fabulous, reasonable B&B--we've stayed at the same one our last three trips and have NEVER been treated better anywhere. As for Glencoe, you might want to consider a drive through this area and head into Oban--a wonderful, quaint seaside town that is the gateway to the isles. <BR>Have a wonderful trip!

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 07:32 AM
Anne

One more vote for a stop in Edinburgh and another suggestion: When you make your car rental reservations, if you do it on the internet print out your confirmation information. If you do it by phone have them send you a copy. <BR> <BR>When we arrived in Glasgow having reserved a mid size car through Hertz, what they tried to give us was a subcompact. (4 of us, luggage including son's golf clubs.) We eventually got it straightened out, but it cost us extra $$ and wasted time. Since then - I've learned to have it all printed out, then there are NO questions. <BR> <BR>Have a wonderful time -- there's NO place like Scotland!

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 09:45 AM
Mel

MarySue: In hindsight, realized I should just give you the name of the great B&B we used 3 times in Edinburgh (in case any other travelers are looking for a wonderful place, as well!) It's the Dunedin Guest House at 8 Priestfield Road. You can e-mail them at: [email protected]. Marsella and David are warm, friendly hosts. The guesthouse is a big, historically-listed home with large bedrooms (all beautifully decorated and with bathrooms)and they cook breakfast to order (included). They have 4 stars, but kept their prices amazingly low. I found them through Rick Steves, who gave them raves--he was right! Again, have a great trip to the UK!

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 04:12 AM
MarySue

Mel, <BR>Thanks for the B&B info - I will contact them today. We booked our plane tickets this weekend and are getting very excited. Here is the updated itinerary: <BR>Day 1 Arrive Glasgow head to Edinburgh <BR>Day 2 Edinburgh <BR>Day 3 St Andrews <BR>Day 4 Drive to Skye <BR>Day 5 Skye <BR>Day 6 Skye <BR>Day 7 Drive to Glasgow via Glen Coe <BR>Day 8 Depart <BR> <BR>I may trade in one of our days in Skye for a night in Glen Coe. Any other advice will be appreciated. Thanks to everyone for the help.

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 01:20 PM
Sheila

Mary Sue<BR><BR>I have detailed route I did yesterday for someone else which I can send you by email if you like. It's broad outlines are much the same as yours. It won't fit here; but I could post it in chunks if you like?

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 07:36 PM
Dick

Mary Sue, <BR>Depending on where you're staying on Skye, that could be a long drive back to Glasgow in one day. If you're interested in breaking the trip up, I can recommend a great guest house west of Glen Coe that would put you an easy 2 and a half hour drive from Glasgow which would allow you time to throw in a visit to something like Stirling Castle. We've stayed at Ardsheal House on both of our visits to Scotland and I can't think of a better place to splurge a little on your last night in the Highlands. Take a look at Neal and Philippa's website at http://www.ardsheal.co.uk/h-a-1767.html <BR> <BR>Our first trip to Scotland was in May of 1999 and we had such a great time we went back in 2000. I'm sure you'll have a great time too.

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 12:20 AM
sylvie

MarySue, <BR>Seeing your itinerary makes me long for Scotland again! I toured in 2000 and want to return soon. Edinburgh Castle is a treat. We stayed at Joppa turrets, <BR>probably 8 miles outside the town center. Best B&B on our trip, quaint, reasonable, clean, delightful host & hostess, great view over the Firth of Forth(Large Bay). Enjoy your adventure!

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 06:59 AM
carol

Sheila, can you email me that detailed route you mentioned? The trip I'm planning has a similar itinerary. Thanks!