Scotland roadtrip in LATE (?) September

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2018, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am working on a two-ish week roadtrip in Scotland -- following many of the excellent suggestions in the thread "Scotland: 13 night itinerary" .

Having been to Edinburgh and Inverness and various stately homes on prior trips, my emphasis would be the outdoors and smaller towns, Syke, Mull, Cairgorms, etc On good days I'd like to get in walks of 2-4 hours.

As dates are now pencling in, I"d be in Scotland roughly 15-30 September; for reference, on Sept 23 Edinburgh has 12 hours of daylight. I had originally intended to be in Scotland in the first half of September. Is the latter half of the month still likely to have good enough weather for a pleasant roadtrip or have I pushed it a bit too late in the fall?
Old Jul 27th, 2018, 10:29 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>Is the latter half of the month still likely to have good enough weather for a pleasant roadtrip or have I pushed it a bit too late in the fall?<<

Absolutely no way to tell. Early Sept could be great or awful - or both. Late Sept could be great or awful - or both.

My two favorite months to visit Scotland (assuming I'm not attending the Tattoo/Fringe/Festivals) are June and September, with May a close third.
Old Jul 27th, 2018, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Late September it is! Thanks!
Old Jul 27th, 2018, 01:20 PM

You should know that the 12 hours of daylight works well when the sun is shinning, but you may well have days when the cloud cover may be so intense that your daylight hours will be shorten quite a bit. It does get cloudy and rainy in Scotland.
Old Jul 29th, 2018, 08:54 PM

Received 28 Likes on 4 Posts
As others have correctly pointed out, while Scotland weather is highly unpredictable, it may encourage you to know that we visited late September / early October in 2017 and had a wonderful time. We did have a few wet days, but were able to undertake most of our planned outdoor activities including hikes/walks in Glencoe and Skye. Have a good trip.
Old Jul 30th, 2018, 04:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
probably worth looking at climate websites to a get a feel for this, individual good days are not as useful as statistics