Reload this Page >

Scotland: Places to Stay

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2000, 06:52 AM
George

Thanks to the comments from my previous message. I was wondering if someone could comment on my hotel or B&B choices. If you have something better please explain. I have been using the Scottish Tourist Board web site (very good). So here they are: <BR>1. St Andrews (Fossil House) <BR>2. Braemar (Callater Lodge) <BR>3. Dornoch (Fourpenny Cottage) <BR>4. Portree (Bosville Hotel) <BR>5. Endinburgh (no clue yet &lt;&lt; any quaint romantic places that are convenient?? <BR> <BR>My budget is approx 30 pounds per person. I understand that Edinburgh might be a tad higher.

Old May 5th, 2000, 07:30 AM
frank

I stayed in the Bosville many years ago.It was clean & quiet,better than some more expensive ones in Portree.Please note that there is no need to book ahead in September.Not booking keeps you flexible - the weather is very variable & you may wish to swop time in the country for time in the city if it turns bad.

Old May 5th, 2000, 10:23 AM
Tony Hughes

George, how many people are on this trip? <BR> <BR>I live in Edinburgh

Old May 5th, 2000, 11:42 AM
Mickey

Tony - My husband and I will be going to Scotland the second week in June. Edinburg is my number one place to visit, unfortunately we'll only have a few days there. What do you suggest seeing, doing, and where would you suggest we stay? Also, should we expect weatherwise?

Old May 5th, 2000, 01:10 PM
George

Tony, My wife and I will be visiting. It will be our anniversary trip (#27). Don't want to stay in Holiday Inn but want a B&B / Guest house. I heard that Stuarts, Ellesmere, or Turrets are nice.

Old May 5th, 2000, 02:54 PM
Sheila

Callater Lodge is nice. It's owned by the parents of clients of mine. Let me know if I can assist with anything

Old May 8th, 2000, 01:03 AM
frank

Remember it's possible to rent caravans (trailers)or chalets - both cheap forms of self-catering accomodation in many ways better than hotels (you own front door!)Some are in parks, often to be preferred are the ones on farms.You can perhaps find some on the STB site or if you're going outside July/August you could look when you arrive - often it's just a sign by the roadside, as is B&B. <BR> Also B&B in a private house is to be recommended.

Old May 8th, 2000, 02:05 PM
Jeff

Hi George, <BR> I've stayed at several place in Edinburgh and my favorite place by far is a B&B called the Elmview. The rooms are large by anyones standards and very tastefully decorated. There are also a lot of extras like complimentary sherry, refrigerators, and biscuits. The hosts are extremely helpful and friendly and the location is perfect. Their website is www.elmview.co.uk Have a great trip! I'm sure you'll love Scotland.