Reload this Page >

Scotland-other than glasgow, edinburgh and sterling

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2001, 11:04 AM
lisa

I'm going to Scotland. I have been twice before and have already extensively visited Glasgow, Edinburgh and Stirling. Anyone have some suggestions for other parts that are not to miss.

Old May 14th, 2001, 05:58 PM
Kathleen

Hi lisa, <BR>It depends on what you like to do. I'm no expert, just repeating the info I have been given. For natural beauty I hear Skye, GlenCoe and Loch Lommond are not to be missed.

Old May 14th, 2001, 07:19 PM
steve

You probably visited Loch Lomond if you went to Stirling. <BR> <BR>My favorite place is Threave Castle - South of Glasgow. Also nearby Caeverlock castle. I also enjoyed the boat trip on Lake Katrine and another nearby lake (the name escapes me) where you take a boat to an island with a runied Priory. <BR> <BR>The drive from Stirling to Loch Ness and back was nice. Jedburgh was also interesting

Old May 14th, 2001, 11:30 PM
sylvia

We have been going to Fort Augustus for years. It's a nice little town by Loch Ness and a good base for visiting the Highlands.

Old May 15th, 2001, 01:29 AM
stu

glen coe stunning, try Crinan (Canal) on west coast, one of the most dangerous whirlpools in the world, great hotel and local. From Russia With Love filmed nearby!

Old May 15th, 2001, 01:38 AM
frank

The monuments at Kilmartin glen (north of lochgilphead),Skye, Applecross.

Old May 15th, 2001, 04:48 AM
frank

Southwest : Portpatrick,Glentrool(drive from there to Straiton),Ayr, Culzean Castle,Isle of Arran(!).Ferry from Gourock to Dunoon. <BR>Nothwest: <BR>Mainland coast from Arisaig through Morar to Mallaig(has a Skye ferry)has beatiful white beaches,is quiet, has accom,Loch Morar has a monster(called Morag - what else?). <BR>Go to Oban & get a boat to Iona,Tiree(surfing),Islay(whisky) etc.

Old May 15th, 2001, 09:48 AM
Joe

Lisa: I topped a couple of previous threads with great information about trips in Scotland. Look for "Edinburgh Trips" and "Driving Routes..." below. Good luck.

Old May 15th, 2001, 01:40 PM
Brent

I had a nice stay in Inverness, the capital of the highlands, and had some great excursions from there to the Isle of Skye and Loch Ness. Some great walks you can do around Loch Ness. Many other places to visit from there but I had to move on. Cheers.

Old May 15th, 2001, 02:23 PM
Dr. Betty

St. Andrews and then follow the coast around to the south to visit the fishing villages. That's of course if you have a hankering for the sea. For verdant green hills and gardens, visit Glamis Castle in Perthshire and stay in one of the little towns near by. I still see green. For a loch experience that will spoil you for anything else, try Loch Linnhe, north of Oban. Visit the Isle of Lismore (I think that's the spelling) just opposite Port Appin. Take in Stalker Castle with a glimpse of it in the evening, before the sun sets. Have your camera ready because it stands out in stark silhouette against the sky. Stay at the Ardsheal House for an experience that is unparalelled. And if you find yourself in Glasgow again and haven't seen The House for an Art Lover, it is a must.

Old May 25th, 2001, 02:04 PM
Betty Ann

If you are renting a car, I suggest a trip up the West Coast..Kyle of Lochalsh,north to Gairloch,Ullapool,Lochinver(then take what is called "the Drumbeg road" for a spectacular drive); onward to Durness and across Sutherland/Caithness to John"O Groats, then south to Inverness. A day trip to Orkney is well worth your time and it is a FABULOUS place! Highland Park distillery in Kirkwall/Orkney is the best! An amazing B&B in Canisbay(near John'O Groats) is "The Post Office" house, run by a Mrs Jean Manson..she will fuss over you like a mother hen! We plan our 4th trip in five years this Sept....and will continue to return again and again!

Old May 25th, 2001, 02:35 PM
lin

Ditto Betty Ann's comments re Orkney. Just returned. Amazing. (See short post under "Orkney.") Also Inveraray was lovely.

Old May 25th, 2001, 05:56 PM
Mel

LOVED Oban! Friendly, great small local pubs, excellent restaurant (The Studio--very small, not at all impressive-looking, but make a reservation and order steak), gateway to Isles.

Old May 26th, 2001, 04:01 PM
Danna

I echo the Southwest suggestion. Galloway is grand! Kirkcudbright is a very special place, they have a website you can check out, also the surrounding area has castles, loads of gardens and historic sites, the Logan Garden outside Port Logan is amazing, and if you are into books, Wigtown is a little village with 20+ bookstores! Enjoy your trip!