Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Scotland -- Opinions needed will be on the plane in 7 Days!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2006, 04:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am posting a new thread because the last one was "broken." It wouln't top off.

Anyway, here is what I have so far. .

Edinburgh Sept 2-6 -- Sheraton Grand

Sept 6 -- Pierhouse in Port Appin (I read somewhere that Shiela likes this place)

September 7&8 -- Tigh an Dochais -- Broadford Isle of Skye -- awaiting rating. But, the web site looked good and the other choices I looked into were out-of-the way or booked.

September 9th -Arden House -- I looked in Linlithgow upon Janis' suggestion.

September 10th depart Edinburgh airport.

So, now I'll rent a car.

I would love opinions on the places. I have booked them through the Scottish Tourist Board and there is a very minimal fee if I cancel. So, if the places are awful or too out of the way -- please let me know.

Gopack gave me a wonderful route on the last thread. But, all opinions/insights would be greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 06:40 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Misha2: I'm not sure what was causing your trouble w/ the other thread (you twice mentioned it being broken and not being able to top it but it worked yesterday and I just topped it again)

Anyway - all of your places look just fine. Noe's itinerary on the other thread is good too if you want to see the west side of Loch Lomond. If not, I would drive > Stirling > Callander > Lochearnhead > Crianlarich > Glencoe > Ft William > Skye.

The reasons being: IMHO Oban isn't worth the detour and you will see plenty of coastal scenery w/o going to Oban. Between Lochearnhead and Crianlarich you can take a short detour to Killin/Falls of Dochart which are amazing. Another short detour would take you to Balquhidder where Rob Roy is buried. And the drive from Callander to Glencoe has some amazing sceneray including Trossachs and Rannoch Moor.
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 07:05 AM

For the sake of simplicity, I will repost here the route that I suggested on the other "broken" thread:

Leaving Edinburgh, go to Stirling, then take the A811 to Loch Lomond or detour a bit through the Trossachs, passing through Callander, Brig O' Turk and Aberfoyle before hitting the A811. From Balloch, take the A82 north along Loch Lomond to the A83west to the A819north to the A85 west. From there, you could go into Oban to look around or head north on the A828 to Port Appin.

The next day, you could approach Skye either on the ferry or the bridge, saving the other for the return. If it were my trip, I'd drive up the A82 and take the A87 west to the bridge. I liked the view of the Five Sisters going this direction and the view of Eilean Donan as you approach the water.

Do your Skye thing, and when leaving, drive the little road on the Sleat Peninsula, and take the ferry to Mallaig, then the A830 to Fort William (some parts might still be single track). You could stop at Glenfinnan, which is about halfway to Fort William.

From Fort William take the A82 up through Glen Coe, visiting the visitor's center, etc. I particularly like the drive in this direction. The views of Glen Coe going up are amazing, and then Rannoch Moor and the drop down into Tyndrum are also quite beautiful. We always stop at the Green Wellie Store in Tyndrum, tourist trap that it is. Nice place for a pit stop, and we have bought our wellies and garden clogs there. You'll come down through Callander then make your way to Linlithgow on the M9 or on smaller roads.

Here's my reasoning for the suggested route for her first day out of Edinburgh: misha2 expressed a desire (on the other thread) to see Stirling and Loch Lomond and she has reservations to stay at Port Appin. Oban is just down the road from Port Appin, she can visit it or not - it might be a good place for dinner and a walk along the esplanade or a walk up to the Folly.

The next day she can choose which route to take onto Skye.

On the return to Edinburgh, the route I suggested is the one that Janisj mentions also (but going the other direction). This route is a "must", in my opinion, whichever way it is taken. I picked it for the way back, because I thought there would be more time for stops at Glen Coe and possibly Doune/Dunblane that day (since Stirling and Loch Lomond was on the going west day). Balquihidder/Loch Voil make a nice stop also.

janisj, if Loch Lomond were taken out of the equation, then the drive west could be as you suggest (Callander > Crianlarich > Glen Coe etc.) - do you think that a return route could be Roy Bridge > Laggan > Blair Atholl > Pitlochry > Perth > Linlithgow? Or is that too long a drive?
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 06:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the details. Sounds like we can't go wrong either way.

Anybody out there stayed at these places or have any other advice?
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

any other opinions on driving routes?

I'm torn between the ones suggested.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 11:04 AM

Misha

I've written screeds on this thread twice now, and both times lost it due to my ineptitude.

Ask em a question and I'll try to answer it
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 11:15 AM

sheila-
Like me poor misha is having a hard time planning her trip to Scotland. I dont go until October - She unfortunately is leaving in a few days and doesnt have her itinerary settled. She wants input on the places she has chosen to stay (see above), and a 4 day driving itinerary between the areas she is staying, including suggestions on places to stop. Help her (and me in the process)!
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 12:35 PM

OK, here goes.

I'm quite jealous of you staying in the Sheraton. It's a lovely, albeit modern, hotel, and has a wonderful spa.

I assume you have plenty of idea of what to do in Edinburgh, but let me know if not.

I was going to suggest a route that involved going past Linlithgow, but you're stopping there on the way back, so why not try this?

So, I suggest you cross the river and pass Dunfermilne (opportunity:- Dunfermilne Abbey) then pass Culross (big hit with the mediaevialists) then on round to Dunblane, then Doune (and its castle), on to Callendar and through Strathyre; past Balqhuidder and the Rob Roy Centre. Stay on the main road- option of a wee side trip down to Killin and the Falls of Dochart.

By the time you get to Crianlarich you're seriously into the mountains and lovely scenery. Take the right fork at Tyndrum and cross Rannoch Moor and then down through Glencoe. Stop at the visitor centre.

Turn left at Ballachulish, you're only a few miles north of Port Appin. Do make sure you get there in time to spend some quality time in and around the village.

Next day, drive north to Fort William and then drive west through Glenfinnan, past the monument (opportunity) and the visitor centre. The beaches and views at Arisaig are wonderful. Get the ferry from Mallaig to Armadale and have a lovely time on Skye. Again, I assume you know what you're going to do on Skye?

Leaving Skye come off over the bridge and south past Dornie for the , then come on south past the compulsory Eilean Donan for a picture. You come past Glen Shiel- and a good side trip is to go across the hill to Glenelg, and see the Brochs.

Past the Five Sisters, and on down to Invergarry, then batter on south as far as Oban, which has a very nice distillery visit.

Keep south through Kilmartin and down to Lochgilphead, up Loch Fyne to Inverary- castle and village both worth a stop- over the Rest & Be Thankful to Tarbet on Loch Lomond, down to Ballaoch; cross over to Stirling and along the south side of the River Forth to Linlithgow. Long day and we could cut it.

Hope this helps.

September 7&8 -- Tigh an Dochais -- Broadford Isle of Skye -- awaiting rating. But, the web site looked good and the other choices I looked into were out-of-the way or booked.

September 9th -Arden House -- I looked in Linlithgow upon Janis' suggestion.

September 10th depart Edinburgh airport.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 01:24 PM

Sheila's route from Edinburgh to Skye a bit more detailed description of what I suggested a few days ago. She added the really good idea of visiting Culross enroute - which is a lovely place.

the Rob Roy Center she mentions is in Callander and then Balquhiddar and Killin are short detours between Callander and Crianlarich and then on to Glencoe. Dunblane and Doune Castle are just outside of Stirling.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 01:36 PM

thanks guys!
Misha good luck!
I dont want to hijack the thread, but I have a question too. We will be in Scotland in the first week of october, (tuesday & wednesday in edinburgh then thursday-mondayam on road) and therefore have one more day than misha. My worry is that some of the castles in the trossachs area (castle campbell, some others) are closed midweek(thurs and fri). Would it be crazy to drive from Edinburgh directly to skye? then spend 2 nights there, and 2 nights in trossachs area after? If I should post a new thread let me know. Thanks
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 01:51 PM

Steviegene: You might want to start a new thread - but both of you are sort of sharing info/ideas so it might not be necessary.

As for your question - Edinburgh to Skye would be a really long drive - doable but I wouldn't want to do it myself. Castle Campbell is lovely - but I wouldn't rearrange everything just to get to Dollar/Castle Campbell. Doune Castle is on your route and it is open every day -- as is Stirling Castle.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

Shiela and Janis and Noe

Thanks for the detailed itineraries. Do you think on the way down we'll get to Stirling in time to see the castle?

I am excited about the Sheraton and feel like I have more than I can cover in Edinburgh. I have a pretty good idea about Skye. But, considering our limited time if anyone has MUST SEEs I would love to read about them.

Also, Sheila, did you purposely avoid mention of the properties other than the Sheraton becaise they are not what you would suggest or because you had alredy written so much and were exhausted.

I thought I read somewhere that you enjoyed the Pierhouse. Am I wrong?

Stevegenie, I am happy for you to ask questions here. It will be so helpful. Three more days!!!

Old Aug 29th, 2006, 03:53 AM

Even though I live in Edinburgh, I have stayed at the Sheraton (I forgot that on the other thread where I listed Edinburgh hotels I've stayed in). The rooms are quite nice in an international, could-be-anywhere style. But as Sheila says, the spa is fabulous : if you can make time I'd highly recommend paying for a 1/2 day's use of the various saunas, steam rooms, indoor/outdoor massage pool etc. It's just amazing swimming into the outside area on the rooftop, especially if the weather is cold (the water is warm !) : maybe not the most exotic view, but quite surreal & hard to believe you are in Edinburgh.

The Santini & Santini bis Italian restaurants (in the Sheraton) are OK but IMO pricey and you can do much better elsewhere. If you want any specific restaurant recommendations, just ask. Sheila always recommends the Marque which I like too & it is right across the road.

The location of the Sheraton is very convenient - a short walk from the airport bus route (get off on Shandwick Place) and Princes Street; and directly across the road from the Traverse and Lyceum theatres and the Usher Hall (for concerts). Although there won't be much on since the festivals will have just be finishing/have finished & there's a bit of a lull before the regular theatre & concert seasons get going. In case you're interested, there are International Festival performances on Saturday 2nd (see www.eif.co.uk) and the closing Fireworks Concert in Princes Street Gardens on Sunday 3rd. All tickets for the latter are long gone but if you don't mind crowds, it's fun to get to Princes Street (which will be closed to traffic) an hour or two before the concert & take up a position in the road to watch the fireworks which are fired over the castle, with the music relayed through loudspeakers. (It's not the same seen from the other side of the castle, where the Sheraton is.)

I assume you're only renting a car on your departure from Edinburgh ?

I've only been to the Pierhouse in Port Appin for lunch but had the best scampi I've ever tasted there : it made me think that I'd never actually had real scampi before.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 05:07 AM

misha, only 3 days!
Im excited FOR you!
You had better post every detail of your trip as soon as you get back - mostly to help me plan mine!
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 05:29 AM

I'm excited for misha too, and jealous!!

It sounds like it's all working out. I'm going to look into that Sheraton also.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 05:53 AM

I simple mentioned the Sheraton, misha, because you asked for comments.

I love the Pierhouse but thought you knew that.

I don't know either Tigh an Dochas or Arden House so made no comment.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Caroline, thanks for the heads up on the spa, ief and fireworks.

What restaurants do you think are NOT to be missed. We are adventurous eaters and also love ethnic foods. But, will probably have to arrange a night of more formal "fine dining" for a group.

Stevegenie, I will post very soon. I totally understand what you must be feeling.

Shiela, I asked again because I (and I think other novice Scottish travellers) eagerly wait for the verdicts of the experts on this thread and read and reread every word you guys write. Honestly! Its like you all are benevolent stars.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Actually, I saw a list of "not to be missed" high end restaurants by caroline from April. Are there any other "hot" new chefs in town? Also, info on the ethnic non-vegetarian stuff would still be appreciated.

Lastly, Sheila and Janis -- that last day itinerary you mentioned. Would that allow us to tour Stirling Castle?

Thanks
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 04:52 PM

misha, my $.02 would be that you do Stirling castle on your way TO Skye. You will get there in the morning and can see it along with Dunblane and Doune before doing the rest of Sheila/Janis's excellent itinerary. If you leave Stirling for your return, you will be worrying about making it in time, etc.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 08:14 PM
Original Poster

Noe that makes sense.

Somewhere earlier you had mentioned that if we did the Glencoe itinerary on the way up another option for the way back could be Roy Bridge > Laggan > Blair Atholl > Pitlochry > Perth > Linlithgow?

I so appreciate the time that all of you Scotland experts are taking to help me out. I don't think I know any place as well as you all know Scotland.

How do you compare this with the return trip Shiela and Janis have detailed?

Also, does anything need to be cut out of my first day itinerary if I do Stirling? How do you compare it to Blair?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -