Scotland only or Ireland and Scotland?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2012, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are avid hikers and not the "easy" hikes but the long and challenging day ones. We are NOT backpackers, however. We have 2 weeks available next spring and are trying to decide how to best use our time. We are interested in Scotland and perhaps Ireland but are having a terrible time figuring out how to get from one destination to another , knowing, of course, that we cannot get to all or even most in that time period. Here is what interests us in Ireland: Dingle Peninsula, Kilarney National Park, Kerry Way , Skellig Michael, and Bearn Peninsula. Scotland seems to be best to island hop(??) but which ones should we 'hop" to for best sights and hikes and how much time do we lose doing this? I saw a TV program last night with Kenmare, Ireland as the backdrop and the Gap of Dunlough (sp?) Is the Gap walkable or biking necessary to do it? We have read a few things about Scotland that we'd like to to see: the birdlife of Shetland, the Road to the isles (?), Callandish Standing Stones, Cullin Hills, Old Man of Hoy, Ioana, the beaches of South Harris, West Highland Way, Glen Coe...These are all over the map I realize. Knowing of our desire to hike, which of these offer us the best opportunities to hike amid scenery. Also, we'd like to sea kayak although we'd be first timers. Help!
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 10:15 AM

My wife and I will be doing a similar, less strenuous itinerary. We'll be starting in York and heading North from there.

Ferry to Belfast. Here are a couple of websites I've researched. Take a look at Seat 61's page for a good map to put it into perspective.

http://www.aferry.com/?gclid=CNme4delybACFQhahwodSiImZQ

http://www.stenaline.co.uk/ferry/ferries-to-ireland/

http://www.seat61.com/NorthernIreland.htm
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 10:21 AM

You could fly into Cork City from Scotland and rent a car to go south and west to see the things you want, then fly home from
Shannon.

Gap of Dunloe is definitely walkable.

In a week you could have a wonderful time in southwest Ireland. I will be happy to go along as tour guide.....
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 10:23 AM

Scotland is wonderful. So is Ireland. Both deserve lots of time. With only two weeks it's best to choose one "country". Especially if you are planning to do any hiking.
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 11:13 AM

Good sites for walks/hikes in Scotland:

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 12:12 PM

I'm no hiker, and have walked Gap of Dunloe. It's lovely. Beara has lots of stone circles and unspoiled countryside and shores. I would avoid Kerry more because many other tourists - mostly motorized. Dingle is fantastic, and lots of places to walk. You might also want to look into the Sliabh Liag area of Donegal, or the Glens of Antrim for walks. Glenariff Forest was STUNNING - filled with primal forest and waterfalls.

Scotland - my favorite place is the Isle of Skye. Hills, mountains, beaches, cliffs, and everything in between, in a small area.
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

Wow! I had no idea I'd get ideas this quickly!! Can anyone explain why Scotland is not a "featured" country when scrolling down on Fodor's for all the European possibilities? If I must choose but one country, I'm more apt to select Scotland but I see there are not many suggestions for it.
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 03:32 PM

Have a look on Amazon for a book by my old acquaintance Mile Harding. Footloose in the West of Ireland. I believe 2nd hand start at under $1. You will see there is more to the Island of Ireland than the South West Corner although Mizen, Sheeps Head and Beara are pretty special.

Scotland is a great place for walking, try posting your question on the TA Scotland Forum.
Old Jun 16th, 2012, 05:11 AM

You can't do both in a fortnight- not really. You could barely do the Scottish bit alone. The West Highland Way is 154 miles. It takes most folk at least 6 days. So you need to narrow it down.

The islands are stunning, but they are not, with some minor exceptions, high. And depending on what you mean by "spring" the weather could be horrible. Or gorgeous.

Walking in Scotland is a joy, if you just get the planning right. Incidentally, there are a number of companies who will carry your bags whilst you walk.
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

We ARE concerned about the weather since we plan to hike extensively. We are aiming for early through mid-May. Is this generally a heavy rain period? For one or both countries?We DID find a company that was well-reviewed that is Ireland based and will transport our luggage. If we select Ireland over Scotland, we just need to narrow down what region we wish to hike. I need to re-locate their site and then post it to see what gets the highest marks from all of you and maybe others for scenery.
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 12:25 PM

I've been to Ireland in April and it was sunny, clear and 60 for most of the trip. And in May where it was windy and 50 every day. And June in Scotland where it was 75 - or 45, depending on the day. YOu can never tell, and you should always dress for all possibilities, especially out hiking and away from supplies. Dress in layers, including a waterproof one. Umbrellas were usually useless due to the wind - a good waterproof windbreaker will do wonders.
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 01:36 PM

It is impossible to predict what the weather willl be like, but you do need to be prepared for rain and good waterproof hiking boots are essential. I'm more familiar with hiking Scotland than Ireland and the West Highland Way which Sheila mentioned is excellent.
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 02:37 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"<i>Can anyone explain why Scotland is not a "featured" country when scrolling down on Fodor's for all the European possibilities? If I must choose but one country, I'm more apt to select Scotland but I see there are not many suggestions for it.</i>"

Lats I checked -- Scotland is still part of the UK

There are many MANY threads about Scotland . . . but you need to click on the UK to see most of the.

For a serious walking tour, I'd choose Scotland over Ireland every time. I like Ireland (a <B>lot</B, but Scotland is just more/better/bigger/more varied. And the walking is magnificent.

W/ just 2 weeks -- pick one or the other - don't try to squeeze both into too little time.

Check out specifically this page from the link indydad provided: http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/skye/