Reload this Page >

Scotland: Must See/Don't Bother?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 1999, 10:36 PM
Carolyn

Will be in Scotland for 7 days. Two days in Edinburgh then ......? Will have a train pass. Flying out of Aberdeen.

Old May 30th, 1999, 06:40 AM
Sheila

I'd love to help with this but can you narrow down your interests a little? <BR> <BR>How many of you? What do you like? What do you hate? Why did you pick Scotland in the first place?

Old May 30th, 1999, 12:00 PM
Carolyn

Sheila, <BR>Thanks for answering! There will be 3 women in Edinburgh and 2 women for the remaining time. <BR> <BR>Picked Scotland because we will have spent a week in London, week in Ireland and was told we HAD to see Edinburgh. <BR> <BR>Because our trip is ending in Scotland, figured we would spend the rest of our time there. If I didn't see Scotland on this trip, probably never would. Understand there are a lot of great castles in Scotland. Any good ones to stay in? Want to see whatever Scotland is noted for but don't know what that is except for Edinburgh Castle! Don't want to do a lot of museums unless they are must sees.

Old May 30th, 1999, 01:58 PM
Sheila

OK 5 days in Scotland leaving Edinburgh and finishing up in Aberdeen including good castles and missing out museums. That narrows it down (not!) <BR> <BR>Firstly I will take you north only; thus missing out the Borders. If you think on reflectio you would like to go south as well, let me know. I'm also assuming you are using public transport. Come back to me if that's wrong and you want to spread your wings a bit further. <BR> <BR>Leave Edinburgh reasonably early in the morning and go to Glasgow by train. Visit the Burrell Gallery, and shop till you drop. have tea in the Willow Tea Room and admire the Charles Rennie Macintosh Interior. For supper try somewhere very Glasgow which will depend on your budget; as should your accommodation. Visit a good Glasgow pub- the Scotia or the Bona Accord <BR> <BR>Next day take the train to Fort William and then Mallaig. It's one of the most beautiful train journeys in the world. Arrange in advance for a hire car to be available for you in Mallaig. I have no idea how to do this but it has to be possible somehow. <BR> <BR>Take the ferry to Skye and spen the whole of the next day there. You can visit Dunvegan Castle, the Cuillin mountains, Portree, Isle Ornsay, Broadford Uig, the Clan Donald centre and many more. Scenery terrific. Accommodations available include the Rosedale hotel in Portree and the Isle Ornsay Hotel, both of which are excellent but in different budget categories. Have supper at the Seagull in Broadford. An available castle is Kinloch Castle owned and run by Lady Clare MacDonald who is also a gourmet chef (but if you only want to stay in one, then wait for my later recommendation) <BR> <BR>Day four, take the train from Kyle of Lochalsh (having arranged to leave your car there) to Inverness. This is the other most scenic railway journey in the world. Visit Inverness and take one of its open top bus tours. <BR> <BR>Take the evening train to the village of Insch in Aberdeenshire where you should have arranged for someone from Pittodrie House Hotel to collect you. Pittodrie is a stunning Country House Hotel on the slopes of Bennachie in west Aberdeenshire. Its core is a 114th century tower house (Castle, but it hasn't got a ghost. <BR> <BR>Next day, get them to drop your luggage at the airport, spend the day in Aberdeen, and aim for the airport in time to catch your flight. <BR> <BR>Simple if busy! If that seems like a plan let me know and I can embelish it a little <BR> <BR>Stay <BR> <BR>Leave Edinburgh

Old Jun 4th, 1999, 09:39 PM
Carolyn

Sheila, <BR>Thanks so much for the ideas! <BR> <BR>Just a few questions. You said go north missing out the Borders. What does that mean? Yes we will be using public transportation - the train pass. <BR> <BR>Why do we need a hire car in Mallaig? Does that mean a rent a car or have someone pick us up and drive us somewhere? <BR> <BR>How do we get to the ferry? Do we take the car on the ferry? <BR> <BR>After taking the ferry to Skye do we return to Mallig that night? <BR>How do we get to Kyle of Lochalsh?Is the <BR>Pittodrie the castle that you recomment if we stay in only one? <BR> <BR>Seems like a good plan to me. Get an opportunity to take some nice train rides over beautiful scenery. Really like the idea about taking the ferry since we won't have done that yet. <BR> <BR>Any further details would be great!!

Old Jun 7th, 1999, 06:46 AM
Sheila

<BR>When I say miss out the Borders, all I mean is to travrl through them, rater than stopping and looking around. <BR> <BR>You need a hire car (rental) at Mallaig because there are no trains on Skye and although there are buses they are not very good. It would certainly be your best oprion for enjoyment to hire a car. <BR> <BR>The train in Mallaig stops about 50 yards from the ferry terminal; so you either walk or drive- yes you do take the car on the ferry. <BR> <BR>the inadequaltely expressed plan was for you to stay one night on Skye and to come off over the bridge rather than go back to Mallaig on the ferry. Sorry not to have been clearer. <BR> <BR>The bridge goes from Kyleakin on Skye to Kyle of Lochalsh on the mainland. <BR> <BR>Yes Pittodrie is a former castle turned hotel. If you stay in only one it would be my choice but you could add the Kinloch Castle on Skye; and I'm sure I could find one in or near Glasgow if you want. For what it's worth the Isle Oransay is one of my all time favourite hotels. I'd rather stay there than Kinloch Castle. <BR> <BR>It's disconcerting to have a plan swallowed hook line and sinker. <BR> <BR>If you're generally happy let me know by e-mail and I'll send you more details that way.