Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Scotland Itinerary getting better, still needs your expertise!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2013, 04:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to everyone for the guidance on my first post. To review the bidding, this is the trip of a lifetime to Scotland in end of June 2014. My good pal is coming with. We're mid-sixties. This is probably the only time I will get to Scotland and I'm torn between wanting to squeeze in everything I can versus making sure we have time to breathe and just enjoy being there. I'd like to make it a little of everything & I know that lack of focus makes it more challenging. So with the idea of variety, here's where I am so far:

Travel - overnight to Edinburgh

Day 1 - Edinburgh - early arrival, check in (if possible), walk through New Town, Georgian House (around the corner from our rental); Lunch; hop/on hop off bus; find groceries (is there a service that could do that for us?); Dinner; crash

Day 2 Edinburgh Royal Mile & old town

Day 3 Edinburgh Royal Mile cont'd; Nat'l Museum of Scotland

Day 4 Rabbie's Day Trip to Rosslyn & Borders

Day 5 Edinburgh -Botanical Gardens... whatever else we haven't seen (Arthurs's Seat)
[dinner in Leith, hopefully via Water of Leith Walk)

Day 6 -- Stirling/Bannockburn
Hope to be there for the re-enactment either June 28/29/30
(Can we go via Hopetoun House &/or Culross or is that too much?)
Overnight: TBD

Day 7 - Drummond Castle Gardens>Blair Castle> Pitlochry area &
Edradour distillery
Overnight: TBD

Day 8 -- this is where I get lost

Day 9 -- ditto

I was thinking it would be great to do Culloden/Clava Cairns (unless you say not to bother. I like the idea of seeing the great success and the great defeat, like bookends), lunch in Inverness, then start down Loch Ness enroute to Skye. But it's how best & what to see from one area to another that's a problem. I'd love to see Dunnottar, but am concerned that it's far away. Would love to see Craigevar, Fraser, Crathes, Glamis... but also concerned that this is Castle overkill.
And is there one major distillery that we really should include.

Day 10- Loch Ness (with a boat right on the lake OR the gondola up to see Ben Nevis) enroute to Skye via bridge
(Overnight Portree or ...)

Day 11- Skye w/ Tallisker
(overnight TBD)

Day 12 - Skye

Day 13 Ferry to Mallaig, stop at beaches >Glen Coe> Trossachs area for overnight

Day 14 whatever we can fit in before we head to Glasgow or Edinburgh airport & home

Thanks in advance for all your guidance!
Old May 25th, 2013, 05:47 AM

If you like history, Culloden and Clava Cairns are worth the visit. Clava Cairns is actually one of the better kept secrets of that area.

It sounds like you will be overnighting in Inverness. Do make sure to head over to Hootananny to check out some trad music and if you arrive on the right night, some lively celidh sessions. The Castle Tavern has a great selection of cask conditioned ales and has some great pub grub.

There is a pub at the Southern end of Loch Ness in Drumnadrochit called Fiddler's Pub. They have an outstanding whisky selection and is a meeting place for the local whisky club.

If you take the Loch Ness cruise, I'd take the one that starts at the Clansman Hotel instead at the locks. That's just a personal preference.

While in Edinburgh or Glasgow, stop by a Brew Dog pub for something a little bit different.

Have fun in Scotland. it's one of my favorite destinations.
Old May 25th, 2013, 06:57 AM

So you're picking up a car on Day 6?

Suggestions to fit somewhere in your itinerary:

- a drive through the East Neuk villages just north of Edinburgh and a stop in the town of St. Andrews

- a stop (for lunch?) in the cute, palm tree-fronted town of Plockton, just north of Kyle of Lochalsh. Also a look-see at Eilean Donan castle.

- a stop at Glenfinnan along the drive from Mallaig. A scenic spot where Bonnie Prince Charlie landed and started his rebellion, has a small museum.

I'm sure you will get other suggestions. BTW we really liked our visit to little Edradour. Otherwise Pitlochry was too touristy for our taste.
Old May 25th, 2013, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Lovely suggestions, thanks.
Old May 25th, 2013, 08:27 AM

saving for me

(hope you don't mind me tagging along for information, nora!)
Old May 25th, 2013, 08:53 AM

bookmarking
Old May 25th, 2013, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

Soogies & Sarah - delighted to have you along for the ride.
But be forewarned, I keep vacillating!!!!
Old May 25th, 2013, 09:36 AM

Hi Nora,

In Scotland now (Crail).

Last year we did Callander, Skye and Loch Ness and visited some of the sites you are considering. Have a look if you haven't already:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...rip-report.cfm
Old May 25th, 2013, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Indy Dad - great trip report, blog & photos. Yes, read 'em before & was inspired!
Trouble is, I like all of it!
Old May 25th, 2013, 11:13 AM

Hahaha, nora - vacillating is my middle name !

The great thing about Scotland, IMO, is that there is so much I want to see, I really can't go wrong.

Indy - I've read your report - a great read! Love the photos, too. Thanks for sharing.
Old May 25th, 2013, 11:26 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
All those castle are very different - Glamis, Dunnottar, Crathes (the gardens are a MUST), and Craigievar (or possibly Fraser) would be a good sample. I'd do the 'castle trail' on days 8 & 9 before headi g up to the Inverness area.

One distillery is pretty much like all the others so pick one to visit. I'd do either glenfiddich (not the best whisky but a terrific visitor experience, or just any other. Talisker is good since you'll be on Skye.
Old May 25th, 2013, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

Janis, Would you skip Blair and Pitlochry in order to do the others castles?

And could one do, or would it be worth seeing Hopetoun House and Culross? Or either as a day trip from Edinburgh?

I'm vacillating! More time in the Trossachs at the end? Argh, this is so hard!!!!
Old May 25th, 2013, 06:57 PM

"<i>Would you skip Blair and Pitlochry in order to do the others castles? </i>"

Blair Castle is interesting and the countryside around is lovely - but no, I wouldn't do it instead of the Castle trail. Dunnottar, Crathes (the June Border is worth the trip by itself), and Craigievar in total are head and shoulders above Blair Castle.

Pitlochry is just a big village/small town. Nothing particularly 'worthwhile' unless one is going to the theatre.

"<i>could one do, or would it be worth seeing Hopetoun House and Culross? Or either as a day trip from Edinburgh?</i>"

Yes and yes. Both are really interesting - I especially like Culross. But you just have to accept that one can't do everything. I've been to every single place on your plan/wish list, some several times. But I've done it over 30 years and countless visits totaling probably 6+ months worth. IMO it is better to slow down a bit and enjoy what you <i>can</i> manage rather than trying to squeeze in everything. No matter where you go you will miss something as good or even better. Scotland is amazing.
Old May 26th, 2013, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

Yes, the more I read the more I am in love with everything. But yes, I don't want to overdo it and I do want to have time to savor. So, do you all feel like I have a good amount of variety? Do you think if we do Bannockburn during the big re-enactment weekend, that it will see like more of the same (I know, I know, it's not and that's why I wanted to do both in the first place)... but with so little time, I want to be sure we have a good taste. A little of this, a little of that.

So let's say, no Hopetoun House, no Culrosss, we some variation of the castle trail as we feel moved to do...

What don't we have? Is there somewhere you would suggest we spend more time... or LESS time?

Thanks all. Your posts have been incredibly helpful, and inspirational, and educational, and encouraging. I always wanted to go to Scotland. I'm just sorry it has taken so long, and that it will probably be just this one trip. (Or maybe not!)
Old May 26th, 2013, 04:56 PM
Original Poster

Meant to say "that it will seem like more of same if we do Culloden as well."
Old May 26th, 2013, 06:49 PM

Re Bannockburn - IMO while it is interesting in a way and re- enactments are fun, they can also get VERY crowded. It just isn't my own personal favorite. But the new visitors center is due to open next year - That might change things - the new facilities are probably a huge upgrade.

Otherwise - you have a very good variety.
Old May 28th, 2013, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all!
After chatting with my travelling companion, I think we're going to skip Bannockburn's re-enactment. Neither of us really likes crowds, so we'll focus on Stirling and then later in our trip on Culloden. (Actually, I'm checking to see if we can do a tour to include Culross and Stirling through Rabbies.)

So now I need some input on places to overnight. Assuming that we do a bit of the castle trail to include Glamis(?), Dunnotar, Drum, Crathes, Craigever, Fraser(?) --- is there someplace centrally located where we might stay two nights?
Was looking at Dunvegan House and Tor-na-Coille. Since I'm just looking at a map and don't know the roads or actual driving time, I'm unsure what would be best. We'd be coming from Drummond Castle Gardens and be headed (hopefully by way of Glenfiddich Distillery) to Culloden & Clava Cairns.

And on Skye, I know a lot of people have recommended Sligachan as being centrally located. We are ocnsidering that, but would prefer someplace more... more, um, twee? Was looking at Viewfield House in Portree and it gives me pause when guidebooks say "an experience." Fawlty Towers was an enjoyable experience to view, but I don't want to spend precious pennies to experience it first hand! Also, have read wonderful things about The Spoons.

You're probably going to be fed up with me by the time 2014 comes around. BUt I promise I will write a trip report!
Old May 28th, 2013, 06:25 AM

We stayed at Viewfield House and enjoyed it. It's like an old hunting lodge, with lots of heads of dead animals on the walls. A little bit like going back in time. The staff was welcoming. We had a view of the water and the bluebells carpeting the front lawn.
Old May 28th, 2013, 07:20 AM

Just time for a quick comment right now. Re Skye - Portree is the only town of any size and that gives you options for both accommodations and services/places to eat etc.

But it also takes longer to get to other places on the island. You'll have plenty of opportunity for 'twee' in other parts of your itinerary . I'd seriously consider sligachan.
Old May 28th, 2013, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Mimar! I think we would like that. With such little time on Skye, we want to make the right choice.

And thanks Janisj. You are a font of wisdom. I would like to have a Vulcan mind meld with you so that I could know all of your Scotland knowledge! (Oh, sorry. Just saw the new Star Trek, so I'm stuck in Trek metaphors.) Just looked again at the Sligachan website and sent them off an email.

And when you do have more time, suggestions for the "twee" in the other parts of our travels would be greatly appreciated!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -