scotland - itenary help

Search

scotland - itenary help

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
scotland - itenary help

planning to drive down to scotland from london for about 4-5 days. we are 3 adults and a toddler . would like to do lake district and york en route. can someone suggest if one should stay the night in these 2 places or just a day would be good enough. as we plan to do york while going and lake district while coming bak. in scotland - where all should we go? edinburgh and inverness? this is an impulsive trip -plan to leave this friday26thjune-. we have absolutely no idea, so thought would ask here as i planned an earlier trip to greece this way and it was most amazing. thanks in advance.
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 07:19 AM

If you drive DOWN to Scotland from London, you'll end up in the English Channel.

What's the 4-5 days -- the total for your loop to Scotland and back or the amount of time you have in Scotland? If it's the total time for your loop, you won't have time for anything other than Edinburgh.
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 07:22 AM

It will take you likely most of 1 day to drive to York from London...it takes a lot longer than you think to actually get out of London. Where are you departing from - Heathrow?

It will also likely take you about 8 hours to get from the Lake District back to London. And likely another day to get from Scotland to the Lake District.

Keeping that in mind, I would spend 2 nights in York so you have 1 full day there, and 2 nights in the Lake District so you can spend 1 full day there...although 3 nights there would be better as there are lots of things to see and do.

This time of year I would have some reservations in place as its getting to be summer.

As for Scotland, how much time do you have? Edinburgh deserves at least 3 full days.
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

hello, we would be departing from central london and plan to leave our friend's house at 5am.we have set aside 3 days for edinburgh, thought of 1 night in york and 1 in lake district. we have 5 days besides the driving time. what are the best things to do and see in these places and any suggestion on accomodation
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 11:40 PM

I would set another night aside for the Lake District. It will take you most of the day to get there from Scotland, then you have 1 night, and it will take most of the next day to get to London, leaving you no time to actually explore or enjoy the Lake District. Why bother? If you have 2 nights there you can spend the day in Ambleside, take a cruise on the lake, maybe take a hike...

For 5 days in Scotland, do 3 in Edinburgh and then 2 in a smaller town...I cant recommend one as I have never been outside of Edinburgh. Perhaps someone else can chime in here.

As for accomodation...what is your price range?
Old Jun 24th, 2009, 03:40 AM

That's an awful lot of driving to do in a few days. Are you familiar with UK motorways and just how busy they can be on a summer weekend? To give you some idea, I had to do a round trip from the south coast of England to Yorkshire 2 weeks ago, a journey of just 200 miles each way. This took 5 hours each way, an average speed of 40mph due to the heavy traffic and roadworks everywhere on our hopelessly overcrowded road network. To get to Edinburgh is just slightly less than double this distance/time. Inverness is another 160 miles / 3.5 hours from Edinburgh, and why would you want to go to such trouble to get there anyway/ It's not nearly as interesting as Edinburgh or plenty of other destinations nearby.

I'm still not clear if you do have 5 days actually in Scotland - if so, then your trip will be exhausting for the driver, but doable. If you only have 3 days IN Scotland (the other days being consumed by driving and short stopovers en-route), then I'd seriously question whether this would be worth the hassle, even just to go as far as Edinburgh. Only you can decide though.
Old Jun 24th, 2009, 04:11 AM

I completely agree with Gordon...I was assuming 5 full days in Scotland...otherwise this is not worth it.
Old Jun 24th, 2009, 05:41 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"<i>planning to drive down to scotland from london for about 4-5 days</i>"

"<i>we have set aside 3 days for edinburgh, thought of 1 night in york and 1 in lake district. we have 5 days besides the driving time.</i>"

Maybe it is just me - but I am totally confused . . .

Exactly how much time do you have?

5 days + 2 days to drive up and back? 5 days + 3 in Edinburgh + 2 days to drive up and back? 5 days + 3 in Edinburgh + overnights in the Lake District and York (which would mean 4 days just driving up and back)?

Soooo - how many days/nights from the time you leave London until you arrive back in London??
Old Jun 24th, 2009, 07:27 AM

Clarification is in order. Also, please learn how to use upper case when called for.