Scotland in May - Where to Stay

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28th, 2005, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having read many of the wonderful posts on Scotland (esp Sheila & Janis) my wife and I are still undecided as to the best base locations for our 2 weeks in Scotland. Arrive in Glasgow on morning of May 18th and leave morning of June 1. We are interested in seeing Edinburgh, Stirling, Inverary, Trossachs, Loch Ness, Culloden, Inverewe Gardens, etc, etc and would like to limit our stay to 3 locations and do day trips. We will have a car the entire time and as yet we have made no reservations for lodging. Any recommendations greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 05:26 PM

Well, I would say that a few days stay in Edinburgh would allow you to easily do a day trip to Stirling.

We spent 3 days in Dunkeld which is south of Aviemore and north of Perth in a lovely part of Scotland. From here, you could do day trips to Loch Ness, Culloden and the Trossachs.

Haven't stayed there myself but I understand that many people also like staying in Inverary. We stayed in Port Appin north of Oban which was absolutely lovely but maybe a little isolated for day trips.
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 04:10 AM

I would stay for your first set in Callender or Aberfoyle; then in Kilmartin somewhere, then in Glenmoriston.

how does that work?
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

Sheila/Betty,
Thanks for reply. However, my wife has pointed out that I failed to include Isle of Skye, which is the main reason we're going. Would we be better off spending 3 nights in 4 locations, still leaving 2 nights, with the last night for Glasgow (early flight). Any help in assuring my wife I know what I'm doing would be appreciated.
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 06:51 AM

Ah. That does make a difference.

Given that, I would aim for 4 locations. They would be Stirling- do Edinburgh and Trossachs from there. Don't take the car into Edinburgh. It's just be a pain.

Then Kilmartin/Loch Awe.

Then Skye, but I'd make that just two nights.

Then Glenmoriston from where you can do Poolewe, Culloden and Loch Ness.
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 07:49 AM

In May, my favorite B&B in Edinburgh has always been the Elmview. It is in a perfect location for seeing all of Edinburgh. I would suggest spending at least two nights in Edinburgh. This August, I am staying at a B&B near Loch Ness. The name of it is the Feith Mhor Lodge. I have not stayed there before, but I like the look of it and the price is very reasonable. Have you considered staying on the Isle of Skye? There are several nice places to stay there. If you are sticking to three locations, I would suggest Edinburgh (much more interesting than Glasgow), Loch Ness and then somewhere in the Trossachs (Loch Lomond area). Have a great time.
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 08:23 AM

Jeffholcomb,

We're trying to decide on an Edinburgh Guest House. Elmview is on our list. How long of a walk to Princes Street/Royal Mile? We want to park our car and just walk everywhere. Have you ever stayed at the Kew House, Walton Hotel, Amaragua, 17 Abercromby, or 41 Heriot Row?
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 08:33 AM

The Elmview is in easy walking distance of Edinburgh Castle and the royal mile. It is a little more of a walk to Princes Street. The owners of the Elmview would be happy to give you quick and easy directions. The other things that I like about the Elmview are the large rooms including small refrigerators, which are definite money savers. Also the bathroom are large and tiled with plenty of hot water. There is a private entry and this is also very appealing. Check out their website. www.elmview. co.uk (I believe) or just type Elmview into Google and view their website. It really is a very top notch B&B (wonderful breakfasts).
Old May 1st, 2005, 05:28 PM

we stayed in Callendar at the Leny Lodge self catering. I can't recommend it more highly. If you can't stay for a week in the self-catering, they also run a B&B.

Very central location for touring.
Old May 1st, 2005, 10:06 PM

Hi,
Just wanted to warn you that Edinburgh is hosting the final of the Heineken Cup (European rugby championship) on May 22, which means that accommodation in the city will be quite hard to find. I'm speaking from experience as we have been trying to organise accommodation for a wedding party and it's been difficult to say the least (none of the city's main hotels had availability when we enquired back in February). Some establishments have also put their prices up for that weekend.
So, you might want to avoid heading to Edinburgh over that weekend (unless of course you are a rugby fan!!) as the city is likely to be quite busy.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 05:44 AM

My favorite B&B in Skye is Tir Alainn(means Beautiful Country in Gaelic), just south of Broadford in Skye. It is clean, neat, and the host is delightful company. THere is a wonderful view from the front rooms...
http://www.visitskye.com/
Old May 3rd, 2005, 03:23 AM

Since you will have a car I would not recommend anywhere in the city centre, such as Abercromby Place or Heriot Row, as it will be very difficult for you to park (little parking & that mostly for residents only). Have you considered getting the bus/train from the airport to Edinburgh & only picking up a car when you leave Edinburgh ? Or doing Edinburgh last but turning your car in when you get here ?

There is a discussion on another thread about the best way to get from Glasgow airport to Edinburgh by public transport. BTW Sheila & everyone else who engaged in that discussion, I emerged from Queen Street station yesterday morning & saw an Airlink bus dropping people off right outside, so no need to walk between the bus & train stations !