Reload this Page >

Scotland in June for 2-3 days??

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 1998, 11:10 PM
Deepa

My parents are planning to go to England this june and I was keen that they took 2-3 days and went to Scotland too. How long is the train ride form London to Edinburgh and how is it there? They are not really into sports or biking but would like good scenery, quaint town, history,castles,sort of thing. Which is a good place if not Edinburgh, maybe in Wales? Appreciate any suggestions. Deepa

Old May 15th, 1998, 03:36 AM
Byron

The train journey from London-Edinburgh is around 4 hours. Edinburgh is a great place to spend a few days - castles, the Royal Mile, Princes St, good pubs, food etc etc. and I would think that if you didn't have a car it would be ideal. Lots of other places of course - up here in Aberdeen we have lots of castles, whisky distilleries, etc but you really need a car for this.

Old May 15th, 1998, 06:10 AM
Ian Morgan-Dick

Glad to see you are planning on visiting Edinburgh, quite the most beautiful city in the UK. I come from Glasgow, but I really despise any inter-city squabbling between us and our neighbours. ANYWAY, you may get the railtimes you are looking from at ScotRail's website;

http://www.scotrail.co.uk/

else, I can tell you that the rail company from London Kings Cross to Edinburgh is the Great Eastern, and the journey is around six hours. Their are so many beautiful places in Scotland (I am a true patriot.) and I particularly like the north west of the country; Sutherland. It is was named the "South Land" by the Vikings, and it is spectacular. The people are friendly, the history bloody, the local food AMAZING and although it may rain now and again, look upon it as "raw whisky". Also the are known as Strathspey, which is a great whisky producing are, and a favourite of Queen Victoria, if you should ever see the movie "Mrs Brown", it was mainly filmed there.

Also, Wales, well I married a Welsh girl, and I had never been there before. She came from the south-west of Wales, and it has subsequently become favourite place of mine. I have just come back from a week there. The train from London (Paddington Station) is very quick service. I really love a town called Tenby, and should you visit there try the Plantagent restaurant, it is fab. It is also the area where the poet Dylan Thomas comes from,and it is worth a read of his poetry or prose to get you in the mood..... Word of waring, although Cardiff, the capital of Wales is okay, Swansea is...er..... "not so nice." Also if you go as far west as Fishguard, you can jump on the Catamaran over to Ireland for the day..... very inexpensive, and fast.

And finally, back to Glasgow, worth your time to zip through from Edinburgh, 50 minutes on the train, and the best museums in Scotland, and the best shopping in the UK!!!

Old May 15th, 1998, 07:27 PM
Lolita

I highly recommend the Guide Friday bus tour of Edinburg. We also took a local tour to Loch Lomond which was incredible! It is so beautiful. Scotland is beautiful and the people are really friendly! You'll love it.

Old May 28th, 1998, 11:30 AM
Sue

Hi: Yes, I would diffently spend 3 or 4 days in Scotland. Check into the train passes. Can take day trips into many towns. My favorite was Pitlochry, about an hour outside Edinburgh. We stayed in Edinburgh four nights and would of liked to have stayed longer, lots to see.