Scotland- have an extra day, not sure where to spend it

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2014, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be traveling to Ireland, then on to Scotland in September. We are young 30s and very active people. We love hiking, scenery, castles, and some history.

I'm currently trying to put together a great itinerary for us. We are weather ready (rain jackets, hiking waterproof boots), and rain nor wind nor cold will not stand in our way!!! We have been reading the forums which has helped us put together this itinerary, but I have not found one identical to this to see if we are "crazy."

Our must sees include Edinburgh for a few days, Stirling Castle, Glencoe, Isle of SKye. I think we are most looking forward to hiking, a distillery or two, and of course the castles and history.

Day 1: Flight from Dublin - land around 12:00 in Edinburgh. I think we will do some laundry, rest, and go to a pub this day (coming from 10 days in Ireland)

Day 2: Edinburgh

Day 3: Edinburgh

Day 4: Pick up rental car - go to Callander, Ben A'an hike then on to Glencoe for another 2-3 hour hike (overnight Glencoe)

Day 5: Drive through Fort William - Eilean Donan Castle, and on to Portree (overnight here for 3 nights)

Day 6: Hike Old Man of Storr and Quiraing; kilt rock (drive to) (overnight in Portree)

Day 7: Hike to Fairy Pools, Talisker distillery (Is there something else we could see this day?) (overnight in Portree)

DAy 8 -9: I'm unsure - definitely thought we could go through Stirling on our way back to Edinburgh. But maybe drive somewhere day 8 overnight, then day 9 drive through Stirling, see caslte, then overnight in Edinburgh near airport.

Day 10: Flight home

Please let me know if I should change something, or if I'm driving past something that I need to see. I have been reading a lot on Scotland, and I feel brain over-loaded. If I forgot to post something that will help in your advice/input, please let me know, and I will respond as promptly as possible.

Thanks so much
Old May 1st, 2014, 07:55 AM

You could spend a day near Fort William exploring the desolate Great Rannoch Moor - there is only one access road so to get into the heart of the moor you must walk (or take the train which slices right thru the heart of it - taking the famous Highlands train and getting off at a stop in the middle of the moor could be a fun diversion from driving.

http://www.visitscotland.com/en-us/i...annoch-p246531

https://www.google.com/search?q=rann...=1600&bih=1075
Old May 1st, 2014, 07:59 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>Day 4: Pick up rental car - go to Callander, Ben A'an hike then on to Glencoe for another 2-3 hour hike (overnight Glencoe)<<

>>definitely thought we could go through Stirling on our way back to Edinburgh.<<

I'd do this differently. I'stay one or two night in/near Callander. This is a base for many walks/hikes plus Stirling Castle, Doune Castle, Inchmahome Priory. Then one night in Glencoe.

Then Skye. Take the ferry TO Skye and the bridge back from Skye. The dash back to EDI to stay that last night before flying home.

Alternatively you could do this: Collect car at EDI - drive to Glencoe that day (w/ a slight detour to Killin), hike that afternoon and the next morning. Early afternoon head towards Kyle and take the bridge to Skye. Later take the ferry back to the mainland and drive to the Callander area for the two night. Depending on your flight time you could even stay the a 3rd night since it is less than an hour from EDI.
Old May 1st, 2014, 08:02 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Didn't see PQ's post (he's is always pushing Rannoch Moor )

Please don't stay in Ft William.
Old May 1st, 2014, 08:09 AM

janisj - what is wrong with pushing the Great Rannoch Moor - to me one of the finest things one could do it Scotland - the Scottish Tourist Board link above calls it one of the wildest places not in Scotland but all of Europe.

"pushing" - you too recommend the same ole things over and over again - why are you pushing those things - because they are really neat.

Have you ever been to the Great Rannoch Moor? If so why diss it like you seem to do whenever I mention it?
Old May 1st, 2014, 08:18 AM

You could always book one of the sealife trips on Skye - there's one from Portree that focuses mainly on birds (we saw a sea eagle), and another from the Kyle of Localsh that takes you otter and seal spotting on a glass bottomed boat where you'll probably see jellyfish and whatnot too. The Kyle of Localsh trip has the advantage of departing from a quay with a very good seafood stand (Buth Bheag)

Some of my pics. https://www.flickr.com/photos/494523...7630903321624/
Old May 1st, 2014, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the fast responses, I will spend some time researching and looking at all the info you gave me.
Old May 1st, 2014, 05:27 PM

It starts with a "G" and here's some piccies:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dougla...7642498795624/
Old May 2nd, 2014, 02:38 AM

Nice photos and I covet your Caffe Nero with its old clock tower.
Old May 3rd, 2014, 02:49 PM

I hadn't ever been to Glasgow except to change train to bus (and that was 1980). Spent 4 nights and it was so vivid and tasty and rich and casual and beautiful in many different ways - - loved the West End. I went to Edinburgh for a day but the Royal Mile is so dolled up and dull (apologies, but seriously tourist-prissy) and beyond that, it was hard to find the heart. Was so happy to get back to Glasgow.
Old May 5th, 2014, 12:29 PM

Well I think you should go back to Edinburgh and give its preceints outside of the touristed Royal Mile a chance - the city has a character all its own - I loved Glasgow too but give Edinburgh another chance.

The average tourists will like Edinburgh much more than Glasgow - not saying that Glasgow cannot be fascinating and in many ways I also prefer it over Edinburgh - but for the average first-time visitor I'd say spend more time in Edinburgh and do a day trip to Glasgow.
Old May 8th, 2014, 08:31 PM

I did like Leith (on the south side of the Firth of Forth) and the bus trips down there and along the firth. But the thing that has stayed with me most, to be honest, and which is equally Glasgow and Edinburgh, is this book, that I'm still cartwheeling in, a page at a time, with each page being like a whole world, and whole lifetimes: http://www.amazon.com/She-Was-Aye-Wo.../dp/1873487053