Scotland after a week at Glen Coe

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2012, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've spent several days reading ### posts on Scotland and the more I read, the more I want to see everything, and now I'm very confused as to where to go for the 8 days we have unscheduled in Scotland! Please help!

Background: My mom and I have 3 weeks booked in the UK starting Sept 5th. We fly into Edinburgh and spend 3n/2 days there, then on the 8th we'll take a train/bus or taxi to Glen Coe where we have a week's hiking holiday booked. Then we have an unplanned week for touring Scotland before we need to take the train to London on the 23rd. The question is what to do for said week?! Skye has been recommended over and over again, so that's very interesting to us. I could possibly rent a car in Ft. William (?) on the 15th and drive to the island and spend 2-3 nights, and then.... suggestions? My mom and I enjoy driving thru scenic areas, walking, and visiting the occasional castle or country house. I would love to treat Sheila (mom) to a stay in a wonderful country house for 2 nights, the Cameron House hotel in Dunbartonshire has caught my eye, but I'm wondering if I can fit it into a reasonable itinerary as I'd probably have to return the rental car to Ft. William. Also, having just spent a week in Glen Coe, is Loch Lomond too similar?

So:
5th - 7: Edinburgh
8th: travel to Glencoe
9 - 14th: hiking holiday at Glencoe
15th - 17th: Skye?
18 -19th: Loch Lomond or ?
20 - 22nd: ??
23rd: train to London from Ft. William, or Glasgow or EDI, depending on where we end up at.

I'm sure this won't be our last trip to Scotland (there's an Arran hiking trip that looks good for next year!) so we don't need to cram everything in to this one visit but based on our last 2 driving trips to the UK, we do tend to cover a lot of ground in a day...

Any and all suggestions are most welcome!! Allison
Old Jul 4th, 2012, 09:23 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm dashing out just now to a 4th of July BBQ -but just a couple of quick comments and will try to post more tonight.

• Cameron House is fantabulous

• Loch Lomond is very different in scenery and atmosphere from Glencoe.

• If you hire from a national chain (hertz, avis, etc) you don't have to return the car to the same place . . . and there are usually no drop off fees.

None of the above is about an itinerary - just some info to help you decide things

Later . . .
Old Jul 4th, 2012, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

Hi Janis (happy 4th!),
I saw your comment a ways back on the Cameron House which is where I got the idea to stay there. The mid-week rate is quite reasonable (well, reasonable for them) and would like to include this in the itinerary if possible. I'm sure Sheila would love it!

I had a quick search for a major car rental such as Avis in Ft. William but couldn't find any. I'll look more in depth, as this would really simplify matters.

Thanks! Allison
Old Jul 4th, 2012, 10:53 AM

Things got delayed so I actually don't have to leave, until NOW! I really <i>am</i> out the door this time.

But about a car, AFAIK there are no national rental chains in Ft William but there are in Inverness.

There are no trains to glencoe and a taxi would cost more than your airfare Does your walking tour provide any sort of transport/transfer/shuttle options to/from Edinburgh or Glasgow, or Inverness or <i>anywhere</i>?
Old Jul 4th, 2012, 12:22 PM

Where do you meet your hiking tour?
Old Jul 5th, 2012, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

Our hiking holiday is in Alltshellach, and our transportation there isn't a problem. They have coach pickups from Glasgow, we can make our own way to Fort William and then it's an approx. £20 taxi to Allteschellach. Or we can even take the Scottish Citylink coach to North Ballachulish from where it is a 400 metre walk to Alltshellach.

Therefore, after our holiday, I'm thinking Fort William will be the closest large enough town to rent a car from to start our driving tour, especially convenient if we want to head to Skye next.

I sent in an online request to Practical Car & Van Rental in Ft. William (they advertise one-way rentals) but I've yet to hear where I can drop off at....
Old Jul 5th, 2012, 06:24 AM

Skye is a wonderful choice for your stated interests - all sorts of stunning scenery, walks, occasional castles. Don't miss the Quiraing, the Old Man of Storr, the Fairy Glen. Check out Three Chimneys if you are interested in a fantastic, high end meal (we went at lunch for a lower expense).

We stayed at the Lodge at Edinbane, a lovely 15th century hunting lodge. Great pub and restaurant on site!

As for your other time - the Trossachs and Loch Lomond might be a wonderful option. Another option might be one of the other islands (Lewis, Orkney, Aran). Either way you will have a lovely time
Old Jul 5th, 2012, 07:03 AM

That is good to know about Practical. They are a franchise network and apparently now there is an affiliate in Ft William. (Sort of like Best Western in a way. Independently owned locations that cooperate/advertise w/ each other)

If they will do a one-way that will solve your problem and you can head just about any direction. Just don't stay IN Ft William.

If Practical doesn't pan out, another option would be to take the coach transfer back to Glasgow and collect a car there and head to Oban/Mull, or Aran, or the Trossachs
Old Jul 5th, 2012, 09:40 AM

My favorite option would be the train from Ft William to Mallaig, then the CalMac ferry to Armadale and a bus to Portree. Lots of choices from there, whether renting a car or taking a bus or a local tour. But then I would take the West Highland Railway from Glasgow to Ft William in the first place. I like trains a lot, and those are great ones.
Old Jul 6th, 2012, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

I spoke to Practial car rental this morning and they do do one-way rentals but it's £600 extra to drop off in Glasgow!! The drop off fee to Inverness is only £100 more so that's more reasonable but it is even further away from Loch Lomond and the Cameron House Hotel. I think I'll need to spend more time looking at a map....
Old Jul 6th, 2012, 07:54 AM

If you drop the car in Inverness you can take a train to Glasgow - about 3.5 hours w/ no changes depending on which train you take.

And if you want, could then take a train from Glasgow to Balloch which is very close to Cameron House. That whole journey would take 4.5 to 5 hours including the change at Queen street station.

Just another option to think about
Old Jul 6th, 2012, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Well, I had a brilliant idea this morning - why not rent a car on the 8th in Edinburgh for 2 weeks, drive ourselves to our hiking holiday, then we're free to go where ever on the 15th and we can drop it off at EDI on the 23rd! Only $475 for whole time and we do have one free day in our hiking holiday so we can drive down to Oban or somewhere that day. Also, if it's torrential weather during this week we wouldn't necessarily want to hike so we could drive around. So although I would have loved to take the train to Mallaig (I too love trains, Ackislander!) I think this is the best option.

I also booked into Cameron House for the 19th & 20th so our itinerary now stands:

5th - 7th: EDI
8th: pick up car and drive to Glencoe
8-14th: Glencoe
15th: Skye via bridge
16th + 17th: Isle of Skye (Portree? Edinbane 1n?)
18th: ??
19th: Loch Lomond/Cameron House
20th: lounging in bliss at CH or sightseeing
21st: ??
22nd: ?? (Callander area for 2n for Trossachs/Sterling?)
23rd: drop off car at EDI by 9am for 10:45 plane to LHR

Everyone's been so helpful so far, so I'd really appreciate just a few more suggestions in filling in the blanks above.
Old Jul 6th, 2012, 10:29 AM

YAY! (Everything really will be easier w/ a car.)

While you are Cameron House, if you are at <i>all</i> interest in Charles Rennie Mackintosh, pop over to Helensburgh and visit Hill House.

Staying 2 nights in/near Callander is a good idea. There is soooo much to see w/i a few miles. Stirling, Doune, Inchmahome Priory, the Duke's road/Loch Katrine, waterfalls, lochs, lovely walks.

Then you'd be a quick drive to EDI the morning you fly out.

the 18th would be a good day/night to stay in/near Oban -or even possibly on Mull.
Old Jul 6th, 2012, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

janisj, you are wonderful! And very quick to reply!! Thanks for all your help...
Old Jul 6th, 2012, 11:09 AM

We just had a drive through Glencoe; wish we had more time and I'm envious of your opportunity.

We spent a few days in Callander and a few in Skye if the photos help:

http://ukfrey.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06...highlands.html
Old Jul 8th, 2012, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Hi Indy_dad,

I have read your blog and actually took your advice and booked into the lovely-looking Annfield Guest House in Callander. BTW - Mac was pleased to hear about your recommending them on Fodors!

My initial goal was to plan our route and then make accommodation reservations asap. (which I'm glad I did so soon as many of my 1st choices were fully booked) Now I can relax a bit and take the next 2 months to leisurely plan our sightseeing itinerary. Obviously this will be influenced by weather and our moods at the time; we might throw the plans out the window or be forced by rain to curl up inside with a good book (hardly a hardship for us!. Anyway, here are our hotel/B&B's

5th - 7th: Parliment House Hotel, Edinburgh (wanted a central, walkable location, so we could zip back for a nap if jet lag set in)

8th - 14th: Alltshellach Country House, Onich for our Glencoe walking holiday

15th: Skye Picture House B&B, Ard Dorch, Broadford, Skye

16th & 17th: Ben Tianavaig B&B, Portree, Skye

18th: Barcaldine Castle, Benderloch, Near Oban (pricey but couldn't resist a real castle)

19 & 20th: Cameron House Hotel, Loch Lomond (another once-in-a-lifetime splurge)

21st & 22nd: Annfield Guest House, Callander

23rd - 26th: London - The Park Grand London Paddington (inexpensive), or Park Plaza County Hall (good facilities), or ???? So many to choose from but prices are high for some very plain looking rooms...
Old Jul 8th, 2012, 09:43 AM

I personally would not stay at the Park Grand. It is not a very convenient location. Park Plaza County Hall is a decent location.

If you want a budget place better located than Paddington -- check in either Victoria or Bloomsbury/Russell Square
Old Jul 8th, 2012, 09:45 AM

Last year we stayed at The Westerton (blue room) in Callander, a wonderful experience! We also stayed at Glen Albyn Lodge at Invergarry on our way to Skye and our host Dennis plotted our drive via Glenelg and the car ferry over to Skye and we came back over the bridge......a spectacular drive! http://www.skyeferry.co.uk/