Scotland, a little help

Search

Scotland, a little help

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2005, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scotland, a little help

Me and a friend are looking into travelling to Scotland this September. We are both relatively poor (and american, which will make us very poor) and will, more than likely, stay at hostels, eat pub grub, etc... I've never been to scotland, but I would like to visit Edinburgh for a couple of days, then possibly go see the highlands for maybe 3-4 days. The problem is, is that I don't know where in the highlands to visit. So i'm basically looking for recommendations, I like to cycle and wouldn't mind hiking but I don't think i'll be driving (hence it has to be to where I can take a bus or train)I know this is rather vague, but I just started researching and would like to know other members favorite scotland destinations so I can pick up some possible ideas. any help would be appreciated.

-Bill
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 10:52 AM

For a good all-around 3-4 day tour of highlands for the broke American, I've heard the MacBackpackers tour (macbackpackers.com)is really good. I haven't been on it myself but I've heard it's pretty popular, as long as you're energetic and flexible about your arrangements. It's a combo of small tour bus and transport system and seems to hit some good highlights, drops you off and picks you up at various hostels and you have other travelers to converse with/party with etc. There are also at least one or two other companies there that do about the same thing but I can't recall the names of them at the moment.

Another good website to check out for recommendations for the broke (*ahem* budget)traveler is eurotrip.com.
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 11:23 AM

The other companies doing that style of tour may also be MacBackpackers. I've found that most of the Scotland tours are offered by several websites under different names. But when you read the details of the tour, they are "Word for word" identical.

Keith
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 03:09 PM

You could be right, Kevin. I did just remember 2 more I've read/heard about: Haggis Adventures (haggisadventures.com) and Wild-in-Scotland (wild-in-scotland.com). Once again, I don't have personal experience with any of these but I've read mostly good things about them.
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 10:57 AM

The brochure from www.visitscotland.com identifies how you can get around SCotland without renting a car, using public transit. This site also seems to be a good "jumpoff" site for other links, e.g. walking.visitscotland.com