Search

Scotland

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2000, 11:57 AM
Kathi

Scotland

Traveling to Scotland in April/May;Husband golfer, wife shopper any suggestions?

Old Dec 29th, 2000, 01:15 PM
Amik

Kathi, <BR>You do have to be a bit more specific and detailed if you expect people to reply seriously... <BR> <BR>I am sure you can get A LOT of info going back through previous postings (searching for "Scotland"). <BR> <BR>However, if you are still looking for good B&B in Edinborough, or in Portree, Skye, e-mail me and I'll send them to you. <BR> <BR>AMIK.

Old Dec 29th, 2000, 01:23 PM
Tony Hughes

Take up golf? Get hubbie to take up shopping? Seriously, where does he want to go, where do you want to go? <BR> <BR>Golf courses everywhere but so very boring IMHO. Shopping - depends on what you are looking for.

Old Jan 3rd, 2001, 01:55 PM
Sheila

Given the somewhat broad question as referred to by m'learned friends, and making the assumption that you ain't staying in one place for the whole trip, I'd suggestBR><BR>Glasgow-great shopping, close to troon and Turnberry-you choose who does the commute.<BR><BR>Edinburgh-OK shopping, close to Gullane, and within striking distance of the great links course in Fife, including St Andrews (for details on how to get a tee on the Old Course, run a search in here)<BR><BR>Perth-OK shopping- close to Rosemount and Gleneagles<BR><BR>Dornoch- no good shopping, but how could you give Royal Dornoch the by.<BR><BR>And finally, one of the most fun courses in Scotland, Machrie on Islay. Shopping eclectic but interesting.<BR><BR>please revert for more information if required.

Old Jan 5th, 2001, 07:25 PM
kathi

Thank you Amik, Tony, and Sheila - Sorry for being so general, we were just given tickets to Scotland for Xmas and have never researched Scotland before, My husband wants to play the old course at St. Andrews, Gleneagles, and Turnberry. do you think this is reasonable in a wk w/o killing ourselves on a road trip? Also, would love B&B suggestions. <BR>Thank you!

Old Jan 6th, 2001, 02:41 AM
Tony Hughes

Easily in a week, Kathi

Old Jan 6th, 2001, 08:00 AM
Sheila

Absolutely no problem with time.The only problem may be access to the courses. I don't know about Turnberry but the directions for getting a tee at St Andrews are on here; together with lots of people blithely saying that they got on when they turned up.<BR><BR>Gleneagles is wholly commercial these days; but I think a lot of their tees are taken by corporate groups. It's also worth checking in advance. Please not that there are 4 courses. the one your husband wants is the King's (assuming he's a total masochist)<BR><BR>For a nice Inn near Gleneagles try the Tormaukin in Glen Devon. Nice country pub with rooms, and good food and wine. c£40 per room/person (I think)<BR><BR>I don't know Ayrshire at all, but around St Andrews, the Rusacks Marine is the posh one and I love it, but <BR>only stay there when someone else is paying. The Rufflets is just outside <BR>and is a very nice country house hotel. It's somewhat cheaper but still <BR>not exactly economy. The Old Course is, of course, the top of the range. <BR>The one I've paid to stay in is the Golf (01334 472611). If you stay <BR>there, ask for a sea view. There are masses of mass market hotels and <BR>guest houses and you will not find it a problem to get somewhere that <BR>suits. But you might want to stay in one of the more characterful places <BR>(not that there's anything wrong with St Andrews) in the East Neuk like the <BR>Golf Hotel or the Ship Inn in Elie or the Craw's Nest in Anstruther.<BR><BR>Or, if wanted a really good meal, one of the best restuarants in <BR>Scotland is the Peat Inn at Peat Inn near Cupar and it has rooms. Also not <BR>cheap.