Reload this Page >

Scotch Whisky not exported

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 06:23 AM
I HAVE QUESTION

I have a good friend that loves Scotch Whisky and I want to bring him back a small bottle of something he can not get in the States. What is a good brand that is local to Scotland and not exported to US. Would make a unique gift I think.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 06:40 AM
Lanny

I hope you mean single malt Scotch and not that dreadful blended stuff. Most single malts can find themselves to discriminating liquor stores world wide, but some of the distilleries are very small and they have few, if any bottles to export. One I visited a few years ago, bringing a bottle back for my collector brother, was Edradour. I live in Canada but have excellent access to single malts here, and I have never seen it sold here in Canada. <BR><BR>You can buy single malt Scotch all over Scotland and you will see a vast array of it everywhere you turn, from stores dispensing spirits to general merchants who sell scotch alongside Scottish wollens! If you are going through London Heathrow there is a single malt scotch shop in the departure lounge you could also visit. <BR><BR>Before you buy, find out from your friend what type of single malt (s)he likes because where they are distilled really makes a difference. Is this person into the peaty malts common to the Islay and other locations in the western Isles, to Highland malts, or to Speyside malts. <BR><BR>In any case, you will have an excellent selection to choose from. <BR>

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 07:09 AM
Sheila

Do you mean a malt?

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 01:26 AM
Patricia

Make sure you choose something that you can find ONLY in Scotland. We just came back from there and had some distillery tours on the Speyside..<BR><BR>Whisky is very expensive there and they said that if have them available on the US, they will be much cheaper!! WE just bought very rare single malts and they were very expensive... but fabulous...

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 03:29 AM
frank

There is nothing wrong with "that dreadful blended stuff" per se - some of it costs &pound;150 a bottle, in quality blends a little grain alcohol is added to dilute stronger tasting malt & keep the tar in solution.Some of Scotlands best whisky is blended.Blending is an art.<BR>There are some cheap blends which use grain to save a little on malt, but they are obvious for what they are.The tax is so high that it saves little.<BR>Some single malts are, frankly, not very good, I wouldn't thank you for one.<BR>My own favourites are Islay single malts.<BR>I doubt if there is anything you really can't get in the US, but rare whiskies are easier to find here.<BR>If you are not a great taster of whisky go for an amusing name such as Sheep Dip (good whisky).<BR>Or try visiting a good distillery near/on your itinerary, get a presentation box.<BR>I once saw an American buying a bottle of whisky over a bar which he could have bought for half the price at the shop round the corner.(in Skye)Never buy in a bar.Expect to pay over &pound;20 for quality whisky. <BR>

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 04:39 AM
curt

Well, an interesting question and one that I had as well. We were in Edinburgh two weeks ago and I too wanted to bring some whisky back to a friend and wanted to get something that he would not be able to get in USA.<BR><BR>Within the walls of Edinburgh Castle is a shop that sells whisky (avoid the Whisky Heritage Center outside the castle, it is EXPENSIVE). They have an extensive selection of whisky in the little airplane size bottles, and of course regular sizes (they are also quite fee with their samples). As I was asking the clerk which brands would be hard to find in States, a fellow overheard us. Turns out he was a rep for a disteller in there to stock shelves and he proceeded to assist us and showed us the ones that are either not exported or very low exports. He also steered us to what he deemed to be really good whiskys. Thanks to him we were able to pick up several small bottles of really nice whisky which will be a great Christmas surprise for our friend. I do not recall the names at this time but I will get the names when I am at home tonight and post them tomorrow. These small bottles ran from 3-4 pounds each.<BR><BR>Another important thing to remember, and it was very pointedly brought to my attention, is that you must ask for whisky, not Scotch. When I first entered the shop I told the clerk that my friend was a serious Scotch drinker, and the clerk said "Does he drink Scotch or does he drink whisky?" and I said he drank Scotch whisky and again the clerk said "Does he drink Scotch or does he drink whisky" and then it finally got through my thick skull. It is WHISKY, never Scotch, only WHISKY.<BR><BR>Look for the names tomorrow OK?

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 07:34 AM
frank

Forgot to mention - there is a way to get a unique whisky - you can have your own blend made.Tell the blender what kind you like & he'll make up something similar.Some pubs do this & have their "own brand " whisky.<BR>Problem is you have to leave it it in the cask for at least 3 years (preferably 10) after blending, also you may have to take a whole cask, which I believe has big tax advantages.<BR>Only for the dedicated.