Scopello or san vito lo capo or ????

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2020, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning trip to Sicily in May, although partner is already balking due to virus fears.

Trip mostly planned but want to spend about 4 nights in or near one of these towns before driving to airport near Palermo. It will be too cold to swim and San Vito seems really touristy. Pros and cons of each place, or other idea for eating, dawdling, scenery..

Also, will arrive Catania. Thinking 3 days there..anyone have a great place to stay? Gambero Rosso calls it one of Italy's hottest new gastronomic capitals. We shall see. We just have to get out of this virus calamity cause I sure do not want to do this trip, with all the driving, alone.

Last edited by ekscrunchy; Mar 7th, 2020 at 05:44 AM.
Old Mar 7th, 2020, 05:53 AM

San Vito is a tiypical Italian holiday resort with the best beach in the closer area, tons of restaurants and bars wichi may all be closed in May.
Scopello is a small village with no beach at all.
Both places are linked by hiking trails through the Zingaro park. Many small coves/beaches lie along the direct Scopello - San Vito trail.
IMO 4 nights is too much for both places,unless you plan to explore all hiking trails of the Zingaro Park.
Old Mar 8th, 2020, 12:59 AM

May can very well be beach weather in Sicily. Facilities, such as beach loungers, may not be available though.
We really enjoyed San Vito but one day was enough.

Mondello is very nice, too. It has more to do and some very good restaurants. And it's close to Palermo if you want some big city life.
Old Mar 8th, 2020, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

You know Mondello might be best..the others might be too quiet. We are not hikers, by any means although I like to walk if it is flat.

I bet I can wing it or wait until last minute to book any of those places including Mondello, for May..do you agree. Unfortunately virus now seems to be in Lazio..moving south. As I mentioned, I hesitate to do this trip driving alone.

Thanks to all......I just hope I get to go!

Last edited by ekscrunchy; Mar 8th, 2020 at 05:54 AM.
Old Mar 9th, 2020, 11:00 AM

I understand your last comment completely. "I just hope I get to go" That's our continuous refrain here with 5 trips scheduled for the rest of 2020 the next scheduled to Paris on April 7. All are on Delta which has shown some good faith by updating us and offering good deals for changes, etc and we have cancelable reservations for all our hotels, but still I just keep saying over and over--I just hope I get to go.
Old Mar 9th, 2020, 03:11 PM

Ekscrunchy - We have an 18 day trip to Sicily planned to leave on May 8th. With the entire country now on lockdown until April 3rd, are you still hoping that you'll be able to go? The idea of fewer tourists is appealing, but I worry that things might be shut down. I'm interested in your take although I realize that no one knows how this is going to go!

One of our stops is San Vito - one of our group has family ties there, so it is on her bucket list!
Old Mar 10th, 2020, 03:12 AM

Some Sicilians fear that the situation in Sicily in April/May might get absolutely chaotic
Old Mar 10th, 2020, 04:42 AM
Original Poster

I am still hoping to go (mid May) although my partner is likely to back out, which leaves me to:

1. Drive alone
2. Cut back on stops so less driving
3 Go to Andalucia where I feel more comfortable driving IF I can get a hotel that I want
4 Postpone Sicily until October and stay put for spring

What to do? What is the worst that could happen?

Chaotic in what way?

NOTE: Answering my own question: See NYTimes on nationwide lockdown in Italy "But tourists can still come!"

Last edited by ekscrunchy; Mar 10th, 2020 at 04:47 AM.
Old Mar 10th, 2020, 12:20 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We have been to Sicily twice, , both times the second half of October, beautiful weather. Not crowded.
Old Mar 10th, 2020, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

I am so conflicted. On one hand, my NYC MD tells me she would go tonight if she had the chance (She is fromm Spain, originally). She said most (not all) persons who get really sick would have died anyway from pneumonia or other disease.......ANd keep in mind the chance of crashing down here on I-95 in florida.

I have NO fear at all....what is the worst that could happen? But I do get that many people are not in agreement. When I went to Merida a few months ago I got all kinds of chatter about how dangerous it was in Mexico. In the end everyone has to live life as they see fit. I do not know how many more trips I will have in me, and neither does anyone else. If not for the driving, I'd have already booked by air tickets....

That's me..I guess many will call me an idiot but although I thi of myself as kind of a fearful person, that does not usually apply to travel.....get me on a place to Ethiopia tonight..I am there......! To Italy, I think I am there.... To Spain yes....

UPcoming trip is two months away, so???
Old Mar 10th, 2020, 01:11 PM

I see no reason not to plan for a trip two months away--with good travel insurance just in case.
I have a trip booked for late May and won't decide until mid May--good luck!
Old Mar 11th, 2020, 08:28 AM

Frankly, I cannot see what should be particularly dangerous in Yucatan.

As to Sicily:
some people fear civil unrests, strikes of public transport and petrol stations and things like that if hospitals will not be able to treat all coronavirus patients and if everything remains shut down (schools, restaurants, cinemas, concerts, sport events, beaches, museums, ancient temples.....)

If you book your flights now, chose a airline which will still exist in 2 months.
Old Mar 19th, 2020, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Canceled, or postponed until late October......

Signed, Unhappy camper here in Florida
Old Mar 19th, 2020, 10:34 AM

I understand ecks! Lots of disappointment and much worry these days for all.

I was going to suggest Trapani for you. Nice centro storico, close to Erice, Segesta and San Vito Lo Capo for day trips. The Egadi Islands too.

I stayed in Erice for 3 nts and did trips from there, then 1 nt in Scopello. Scopello off season was literally shut down, but that was 7 yrs ago now!
Old Mar 19th, 2020, 11:23 AM

I sympathise eks, but lets face it there are worse places than Florida to be stuck in right now.
It will still all be there in the autumn, or next year or...
Signed another unhappy camper.
Old Mar 19th, 2020, 11:34 AM

My sympathies as well, having just cancelled an Easter trip to Seattle to see my older son.
Old Mar 20th, 2020, 03:26 PM

I think you're smart to postpone to October. I also loved staying in Erice. It can be quiet at night, but is such a special place. We ate at Le archi di San Carlo both nights we were there, and we did a day trip to Monte Cafano, a bit closer than San Vito lo Capo.
I would suggest watching the movie The Traitor to give you some flavor. I found Sicily more interesting after having watched and read Excellent Cadavers, and The Traitor tells the same story from another point of view.
Old Mar 21st, 2020, 04:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for those tips! I found the first film on Amazon for rent and will watch this weekend.....the Traitor is not yet onlne but will keep looking.....
Old Mar 21st, 2020, 06:11 AM

I also cancelled our trip to SIcily. We were to leave May 8th. Waiting to see how things are before rebooking but hoping for September or October. Everyone in Italy has been so understanding about the cancellations. I feel for those lovely people. 💔
Old Mar 24th, 2020, 10:41 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We will cancel our June trip to Scandinavia, perhaps also our annual summer plans for USA. It is a wait and see. Meanwhile , I will try to find The Traitor to watch. Eks, you are lucky to be out of NYC as I know friends there who have the virus. Take care and rebook for Oct, fingers crossed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -