Scooter in Mykonos?

Search

Scooter in Mykonos?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2008, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scooter in Mykonos?

We will be on a Greek Cruise in 2 weeks and are thinking it might be fun to rent scooters to get around the island. Specifically to Pelekas where there is supposed to be a nice beach(is it?or is there a nicer one?) and funky restaurant.

Is Pelekas an easy ride from the port? Does anyone know of a reliable rental agency? Thanks!
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

Another try for info...

Has anyone rented a scooter while on Mykonos?

Thanks!
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 06:41 AM

Before you consider hiring a scooter, read this thread:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35017976

My advice is don't do it.
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 09:18 AM

Have you any experience on a scooter? If not, care to learn on steep twisty roads full of fast-moving trucks driven by extremely aggressive drivers?
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 11:46 AM

Don't do it. I read the thread listed above and agree with the postings. I rented a scooter in Rome. No previous experience on them but was told it was like riding a bike. Oh no it is not! I was able to make it across the street before I crashed into a parked car (all of about 5 ft). I bent the handle bar back towards me and when hit the curb and stopped abruptly, I went flying into the handle bar. I broke several bones in my chest and had 3rd degree burns on my leg. Nothing like spending time in a hospital in a foreign country. And then having to pay almost $1,000 (USD) to fix the stupid thing for a 5 minute ride. It would not matter to me if I had years of experience driving them in the US, different road conditions and driving atmospheres makes it way TOO dangerous for me...

Good luck in your decision!
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 12:13 PM

No, no, no -- don't do it!

On the way into Fira from the airport on Santorini we passed by a squashed moped driver on the side of the rode near the windmill. That should have been our first clue.

We went ahead and rented one anyway, wobbled out of control for about four blocks with a huge German shepherd barking and nipping at our heels, before we turned tail and drove back to the rental shop. What a nightmare. The guys at the counter had a good laugh at the crazy American couple from Chicago! They enjoyed the spectacle so much they didn't charge us.

NEVER AGAIN!!!
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

Yikes! Guess we're not renting scooters! My son said to get them when we're in Rome and I thought that sounded dangerous! I guess I was thinking of beautiful, serene Greek Islands and forgetting about crazy drivers and windy roads.

Thanks for the warning!

So...what taxi/guide service should we use???
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 01:37 PM

Hi

I suggest renting a car. I hired a little Fiat with a sunroof and had alot of fun checking the island out.
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 03:14 PM

Hi,

I have actually rented a scooter on Mykonos and loved the experience. I was there with my DH and we rented a scooter that was built for two. We loved riding around the island and went down one steep dirt road to the beach. If you know how to safely ride these it is OK, but I am sure they are dangerous if you are careless. My children also rented scooters when they were there by themselves and in their twenties. They were very careful and did not try to show off and all was fine. I assume speed is an issue. I do not think there are helmets which is a big problem. I also feel scooters in Rome could be a nightmare. There are scooter tours where you are the passager and the dirver is a pro. Have fun.

Yipper
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info! Maybe the little Fiat would be a good compromise, any idea how much for a day?
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 07:53 PM

Hi

The Fiat 500 was around 30 euro in late September 2003.
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 06:39 AM

Scooters will be FINE, especially in a few weeks as tourism is quieting down and the roads aren't as busy.
It helps to know how to ride a scooter.
We've never had any problems and have been 'scooting' in Greece for 25 years. That was back when we had to shift gears, many bikes were relics with bad brakes and there were no helmets.
Now the bikes are well maintained (go to a reputable company), are automatic and wearing helmets is MANDATORY on the main roads. Don't be stupid - go slow, be a responsible rider, drive defensively - yes, as though every car you see is out to hit you! Be aware.
Be sure to get at least a 90 cc bike for 2 riders together - 100cc or 150cc is better and still a 'tame' ride... Don't be a show-off, and you will have a lovely time. There's nothing like seeing Greece from the back of a scooter.
I wouldn't hesitate to get a scooter in spring or autumn, but would NEVER ride one on any Greek island during the crush months. That is when all of the idiots are careening about drunk, going too fast and ending up with broken limbs or worse in heaps alongside the road.
Have fun.