Schonbrunn Palace questions.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2017, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning o going to the Palace and grounds in mid-October. Just wondering if it is worth buying the ticket that includes the privy garden, orangery, maze, and Gloriette. At that time of year gardens will not be at their best. Also, on the website it states that the Gloriette is currently being restored and scheduled to be completed Dec. 2016. Is it now open? The terrace and cafe are open, do these require tickets?

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 14th, 2017, 11:56 AM

Hmmm. I went in november and thought the most visually pleasing part of the visit was looking at the palace from the gardens & I didn't walk all the way to the Gloriette. It's possible that if I saw the gardens in full bloom I would have loved the flowers, but much of what is historic & impressive about the gardens is its formal architecture, the grand geometric layout of evergreens + statuary.

For what it is worth, I did not enjoy visiting Schonbrunn anywhere near as much as I did the Belvedere & the Winter Palace. I found both of them so much more beautiful in design & decor, inside & out.
Old Aug 14th, 2017, 12:10 PM

Cafe, if it is open, does not require ticket. Except for tables right at the windows, there is no view of the garden from the inside. Most people were sitting at the outdoor terrace tables, but it was too hot for us.

The charge for Glorietta is to climb up to the top deck. To see the difference in view from the ground level at Glorietta vs. top deck, just search the web images. If it is open, you can pay at the last minutes to go up. By the time we made it to the Glorietta, we were too tired to climb up. We just took a seat in the cafe for a drink.

There are short and long tours of the interior. I thought the better part was the second half covered by the Grand Tour.

I visited the place in late September at the opening time. It was a zoo inside the palace. The palace and the garden are large. By the time we visited the palace and the Glorietta, we were ready to get back to Vienna.
Old Aug 14th, 2017, 01:05 PM

The mini tourist train (on wheels) which does a circular route up to the gloriette was great fun and rescued my very tired feet. The sweeping view from there looking down toward the palace is excellent.

https://www.viator.com/tours/Vienna/...d454-3554TRAIN
Old Aug 14th, 2017, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks I think we will buy the ticket for the 40 rooms, walk around the park that is free, and then go up to the Gloriette. If we want to climb to the top (sadly I think my climbing days may be over) we can get a ticket then.