Schengen countries and passports

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2019, 08:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning on flying from the US to Amsterdam and visiting the city for a day. The next day I will fly from Amsterdam to Frankfurt and spend a few days in Germany. After my time in Germany, I will fly from Frankfurt back to the US. If I'm not mistaken in the research I've done, when I travel between Amsterdam and Frankfurt, there won't be a passport check, correct? Since I will only get an entry stamp when I arrive in Amsterdam and an exit stamp when I leave Frankfurt, will it look suspicious on my passport when I arrive back in the US and it doesn't have an exit stamp from the Netherlands nor an entry stamp into Germany? Probably silly questions, as I'm sure that people from the US enter one Schengen country and leave out of another when headed back home all the time. I'm a novice when it comes to international travel. Just making sure I do things correctly. I appreciate the help!
Old Jun 22nd, 2019, 08:36 PM

Entering one Schengen country and back from another is a routine event.
On decades of traveling, the US immigration has never given a hoot about visiting EU countries. You might get inquiries if your passport has a stamp from the countries which appear often in tweets. Netherlands and Germany are not such countries.
>>> when I travel between Amsterdam and Frankfurt, there won't be a passport check, correct?
Not by the passport control at the airport as a normal practice.
However, Schengen countries are allowed to check passports if they deem necessary.
Also, the carrier would check the passport sometime before or during the boarding process.
More relevant concern should be compliance with the Schengen 90 day rule, validity of your passport beyond your visit. and how you secure your passport from getting lost or stolen.
Old Jun 22nd, 2019, 11:30 PM

If the aiporr, train station, port has a passport control. they check. I flew into Frankfort in 2009 and took a train into Amsterdam, I do not remember my passport being stamped. After that, took a train from Dusseldorf to Milan through Alps, I had my passport stamped at one of the boarder control( I beleive French).
Old Jun 22nd, 2019, 11:31 PM

I would calculate some extra time for leaving from Frankfurt.
In addition to the often crowded general security checkpoint, the layout of the concourses is not exactly user-friendly. The concourses are in fact pretty long piers (at least for the A or Z gates), so it is extra important to keep an eye on signage. And there may be a secondary screening near the gates where your flight to the US will depart from.

When traveling from AMS to FRA, you may need to show your passport when you check-in luggage (if applicable) and when boarding the plane.
You don't need your passport to go through security (just your boarding pass).
As there can be spot controls for passport/ID at AMS, there can be such upon arrival in FRA. Though both would be highly unusual (and are more likely to happen if you were flying shortly after one of those "incidents".
Normally, you won't see any immigration officer on your way from AMS to FRA.
After landing in FRA, you walk straight to baggage claim and leave that area via the blue exit (for arrivals from the European Union) which usually also the green exit for "nothing to declare". If I remember correctly, there is a quick exit from some piers which by-passes baggage claim. You obviously don't want to use that one if you have checked any bags.
Old Jun 22nd, 2019, 11:38 PM

The purpose of the Schengen agreement was to enable seamless travel between member countries, just like travel between states in the US. The US immigration officials encounter it many times every day—lots of people travel to more than one country while in Europe.

Last edited by Heimdall; Jun 22nd, 2019 at 11:44 PM.
Old Jun 23rd, 2019, 12:34 AM

I'm not even sure you will get entry and exit stamps in the passport. It is all done electroincally nowadays.

If you are going by train there can be a spot check on the train, it happens more often on trains than flying.
You do need to have your passport with you and handy at all times.
Old Jun 23rd, 2019, 01:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
as heti says, the stamp is not used that much nowadays. All done electronically.
Old Jun 23rd, 2019, 02:01 AM

I haven't gotten a stamp in my passport for years. I have heard that you can ask for one, if you want it as a "souvenir," but I don't know if that's true and I've never bothered. Travel among Schengen countries is pretty seamless these days.
Old Jun 23rd, 2019, 05:35 AM

Passport stamps are rare these days, although we got two this month in the Caribbean. However, in April and May, we changed planes in Amsterdam, to and from Copenhagen. And, our passports were STAMPED in Amsterdam BOTH times. And, for whatever reason, we had to have our passports "checked" THREE times by airplane staff before boarding on our return flight from Amsterdam (and everyone had them checked at least twice). But, of course, nothing to worry about.
Old Jun 23rd, 2019, 07:49 AM

Is your passport from the US? if so, there's no problem at all. If you're not a US citizen, you might ask for anything entrance and exit stamp. It shouldn't be necessary, though.
Old Jun 23rd, 2019, 08:43 AM

I always get my passport stamped going into and leaving the Schengen area, the one time I had to "ask" for it to be done in many years, was last year in Rome. The only time my passport is NOT stamped is when departing from the UK. So in my case at least, passport stamps are not a thing of the past.

The US border guys won't care about stamps, but they do care about fresh produce and meat products. So don't bring any sausages back.
Old Jun 23rd, 2019, 09:03 AM

Passport stamps are not a thing of the past. Just passed thru LHR on Friday, whilst waiting for luggage, there was a poster above the luggage carousel reminding people to get their passports stamped (for those who need it eg those on work visas etc.) and if they had forgotten to get an immigration officer to do so, they need to go and find one and get the passport stamped (or words to that effect).