Scenic route from Montepuciano to Siena

Old May 18th, 2016, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scenic route from Montepuciano to Siena

We are going to Italy for the first time this August. Can you please recommend us a great scenic route from Montepuciano to Siena or Siena to Florence? We have always heard beautiful things about the Val d'Orcia Valley and really want to see in all its glory. Also, what are some good wineries around the area?

Here is our itinerary:
Day 1 Rome
Day 2 Day trip to Almafi; Stay at Rome
Day 3 Drive from Rome to Montepuciano-Siena; Stay at Siena
Day 4 Siena - Florence; Stay at Florence
Day 5 Florence-Venice; Stay at Venice
Day 6 Venice; Stay at Venice
Day 7 Venice -- Fly back to London
We will be renting a car for our entire trip.

If you can offer any advise on this itinerary that would be really fantastic. We would really appreciate on some tips and thoughts!

Thank you in advance
Old May 18th, 2016, 07:57 PM

Your plan can not be accomplished in anything less than 2 1/2 to 3 weeks.

Save a lot of money, and rent a Rick Steves video instead and view these site in the comfort of your living room - wherever you live. Sorry to be so blunt - but your plan is not realistic.

Stu Dudley
Old May 19th, 2016, 12:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Siena to Montepulciano

Start on the southerly ridge road until you get bored by the views, then turn west do to the valley bottom and follow that route through Buonconvento (you could divert to RC Christianity's 4th most important site but up to you) follow the valley bottom until you enter Montepulciano along the east west ridge road.
Old May 19th, 2016, 03:25 AM

Stu is right in that your plan is essentially impossible and I'll add in August. Your day 1 round trip without traffic and any stops is 7 hours in a car.

I think a common mistake when traveling to a place for the 1st time is to want to "do" the entire country. You end up tagging destinations and not really enjoying them because you're so stressed to stay on schedule. On a 6 night stay, I would pick one base to stay like Siena and take day trips.
Old May 19th, 2016, 03:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the responses!

We decided to change to this itinerary:
Day 1 Rome
Day 2 Day trip to Almafi; Stay at Rome
Day 3 Drive from Rome to Sienna in the Morning; Spend entire day in Sienna
Day 4 Spend time in Siena until late morning, depart to Florence and spend the entire day in Florence
Day 5 Florence till the afternoon, leave to Venice to check in on the evening
Day 6 Venice; Stay at Venice
Day 7 Venice -- Fly back to London

Is this better, or should we cut more? Also in our trip we will have a private driver (our friend offered his for free) so we won't really have to find parking and such.

Should we stay in Siena or Montepuciano, which one is worth visiting for day 3-4?

Thank you so much in advance, you guys'opinions are really helpful to us first timers.
Old May 19th, 2016, 04:20 AM

So all you did was cut out Montepuliciano? Sorry, that just doesn't cut it.

And unless your driver is Mario Andretti (and you'd better hope he isn't), you're still looking at 7+ hours in the car on the first day. In August, possibly 10. How is that fun?

You should pick 2 places at most to visit. One would be better, with daytrips, but roaming all over the country is not going to be a vacation. Every single place you have chosen will be shoulder-to-shoulder visitors in August and likely infernally hot.
Old May 19th, 2016, 04:48 AM
J62

Just as Rome wasn't built in a day, Rome isn't visited in a day. What do you want to see in Rome on your 1 day there?

Ditto for your one day (afternoon + morning the next day) in Florence.

If you list what you want to do in those cities with your limited time it can help inform how long to stay.
Old May 19th, 2016, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

Should I then cut Siena and Amalfi altogether so the trip would be Rome-Florence-Venice?

Would this be more ideal? 1 night in Rome, 3 nights in Florence, and 2 nights in Venice.

Hopefully we could still see the Tuscan valleys from Rome to Florence!
Old May 19th, 2016, 05:23 AM
J62

If you are doing Rome/Florence/Venice only then you would not want a car. It would be a time, hassle, and money burden.
Old May 19th, 2016, 06:19 AM

Narrow it to 2 destination - not 3. If you want to visit the Val d'Orcia:

- Fly to Venice or Rome & stay for 3 nights

- Train to Siena and stay in Siena, or train to Chiusi & stay in Montepulciano for 3 nights

The Val d'Orcia is at its best in early spring or mid-Sept/Oct - not August
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...y-171368-2.cfm

- Fly home from the Florence/Pisa airport.

Stu Dudley
Old May 19th, 2016, 11:08 AM

One night in Rome would border on ridiculous. If that's all you've got, skip it. 3 nights in Florence is fine if you are totally inot Renaissance art.

Again, pick two places. No car. Take the train. Fly into one, out of the other.

<<Hopefully we could still see the Tuscan valleys from Rome to Florence!>>

But you can't unless all you do is fly to Rome, spend a few days, then take the train to Umbria or Tuscany, spend the rest of the days, and fly home."

You really need to add a couple of weeks to this itinerary or get real about what is possible to see in the very short time you have.
Old May 19th, 2016, 12:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It's hard to know what the point of your trip is. Do you just want to see the Tuscan scenery, or did you hope to see the usual tourist attractions in Rome, Siena, Florence and Venice with perhaps a glimpse of the Tuscan countryside?

If this was my trip and I just wanted to enjoy the countryside, I'd fly into Florence airport and head immediately to a lovely villa or small town to use as a base. I'd spend 5-6 days exploring the area proximate to the base location and perhaps spend a night or two in Florence before flying out.

A private driver is wonderful, but if he's as unfamiliar with the area as you are I'm not sure how well the exploring will go. Tuscany is 9000 square miles (23,000+ square kilometers), so you'd need to pick your base carefully in order to see what appeals to you most. Even with 5 days, you'll only get a sampling of Tuscany.
Old May 23rd, 2016, 08:04 AM

I would second what Jean says.

If you want to "do" the major cities do so by train only. It would still be far too rushed for me but you could spend 2 days in Rome, Florence and Venice connecting all three by train. Limit your day trips and enjoy what these cities have to offer.

If you are interested in a more scenic option the idea of heading straight to southern tuscany in a car is a good one. Base yourself in the Val d'orcia area and you will have countless hill towns and day trips to do. The food and wine is wonderful and just about every drive is a scenic one.

Plan your travel like you will be back - slow down and enjoy. If you try to rush Italy you will walk away frustrated.
Old May 23rd, 2016, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the further comments! So basically we will only have 7 days in Italy, and must be arriving in Rome (to meet our friend) and flying out from Venice. Unfortunately our plane tickets are not changeable.

If that the case, should I just cut Florence off? Our overall interests is to enjoy the historic cities (highlights such as Rome and Venice) as well as visit the scenic countryside Italy is well known for.

Are there any way I could incorporate the countryside between Rome and Venice in this seven days trip? Or these two towns are far from enough.

Really do appreciate all of your help
Old May 23rd, 2016, 04:39 PM

If you MUST start in Rome to pick someone up (time consuming), and then you need to get to the Rome train station, train to Venice, vaperetto to your hotel, and MUST depart from Venice on day 7 (hard/time-consuming to get to the airport), then I would save the Tuscany countryside for another trip. What you have on your plate so far is really only 2 1/2 site-seeing days in Rome (assuming day 1 is arrival day) & 2 1/2 in Venice - which is less than what I consider to be minimum time in each spot. How could you possibly fit in another 2 train trips, car rentals, driving around???????

Stu Dudley
Old May 24th, 2016, 09:36 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>>Also in our trip we will have a private driver (our friend offered his for free) so we won't really have to find parking and such.<<<<

Yes, you will. Any driver will have to find parking. In most of these cities/towns, you are not allowed to drive into the centers (including Rome).

Option 1
Spend first 3-4 days in Rome, then meet the driver for transport to Venice (although train is faster and more convenient) via some countryside that is on the route to Venice.

Option 2
Have driver pick you up at the airport and head towards northern Lazio, southern Tuscany or western Umbria. Spend first night in the area you select and then have the driver drop you in Rome the next evening. Spend 3 days in Rome and take the train to Venice for the remainder of trip.