Scenery in Scotland

Old Jun 24th, 2019, 08:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scenery in Scotland

Hi. Ive seen some spectacular photos of scenic roads in Scotland, but can you suggest any train trips that are beautiful? Like to hear about any area as no specific plans yet. Also, any recommendations for towns/villages to stay in for a week or so that are accessible by a scenic train route and lend themselves to day trips either by public transport or short term car hire?
Old Jun 25th, 2019, 06:12 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
There are several options. Look here - https://www.scotrail.co.uk/scotland-...-rail-journeys

The two best known lines are the West Highland line, which runs from Glasgow to Mallaig (and branches to Oban) - https://www.scotrail.co.uk/scotland-...williammallaig - and the Kyle line, which runs from Inverness to Kyle of Lochalsh where a bus will take you over to the Isle of Skye.

(Not my pictures)

West Highland line, crossing the Glenfinnan Viaduct (as in the Harry Potter movies)

Scene along the Kyle line

The West Highland line is generally regarded to be one of the most beautiful railway lines in the world, and I can't argue much with that. The Mallaig route follows the "Road to the Isles;" you can ferry to Skye from Mallaig (connecting bus service) while if you choose the Oban spur, you can visit the Isle of Mull (tour buses) or take tour boats to Mull, Iona or Staffa. You won't find cars to rent in any but the larger towns it visits, such as Fort William or Oban.

The Kyle line is also exceptionally scenic, and one of the stops, Plockton, is one of the most beautiful villages in all of Scotland. I don't believe there are any car hire companies locally, but it's worth a google I suppose.

All that said, the Highlands are all about remote beauty, and without a car you're quite limited as to how much of that you can experience. The train is great, but the car is the real way to experience the region - in my view.
Old Jun 25th, 2019, 07:22 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>Also, any recommendations for towns/villages to stay in for a week or so that are accessible by a scenic train route and lend themselves to day trips either by public transport or short term car hire?<<

There are great train journeys -- as Gardyloo explains. However basing in a rail hub town isn't all that useful for getting anyplace not exactly on the limited rail routes. Limited local buses are not very practical for sightseeing. So yes - you can train from Inverness to Kyle, or Glasgow to Mallaig -- but once you are there (both of those lines terminate at Skye - Kyle for the Bridge, and Mallaig ) you are stuck on Skye with very little bus service. Same with Oban - gets you ro the Mull ferry -- but once you are on Mull your options are very limited.

Two completely different options would be the new-ish rail line into the Borders where there is slightly better bus service, and Fife where you can take the train to Leuchars and then local buses to St Andrews and (less efficiently) to other sites like the fishing villages, Falkland, etc.
Old Jun 25th, 2019, 08:46 AM

Not exactly what you are asking since we didn't go by train but we just came back from a 3 week driving tour of Scotland and were just award by the fantastic scenery wherever we went. Our route of march was as follows:

Glasgow
Isles of Eriska
Isle of Mull
Inverlochy
Isle of Skye
Torridon
Inverness
Aberdeen
Edinburgh

With the exception of Glasgow and Edinburgh we drove along country roads with very little traffic so driving was easy and unhurried.
Old Jun 25th, 2019, 10:24 AM

Two completely different options would be the new-ish rail line into the Borders where there is slightly better bus service,>

Not so scenic and train takes you to a station well away from the trio of famous abbeys - Melorse, Dryburgh and Jedburgh, all nicely clustered together. But this is not the most scenic part of Scotland but if interested in old abbeys and nice small towns fine.

If never have been to Scotland before I would not spend a few days in the Borders Distgrict but around those two scintillatinly scenic train lines tohers have described-

one possible trip-

Land in Edinburgh - few days - somewhat scenic train to Inverness - then really scenic train to Kyle and Isle of Skye - so maybe stay a night on Skye then head for the ferry to Maillag, where you pick up the really really scenic train back to Glasgow then Edinburgh. It's a hurried trip but if you want one centered around scenic trains can't do better.

For lots on trains check www.scotrail.uk and www.nationalrail.com - www.seat61.com - general info www.budgeteuropetravel.com; www.ricksteves.com.
Old Jun 25th, 2019, 11:15 AM

>>Not so scenic and train takes you to a station well away from the trio of famous abbeys - Melorse, Dryburgh and Jedburgh, all nicely clustered together. But this is not the most scenic part of Scotland but if interested in old abbeys and nice small towns fine.<<

The Borders are VERY scenic. The train ride is just a means to get one into the region - once there, local buses will get you to Melrose, Dryburgh, Jedburgh, Kelso, etc.

>>If never have been to Scotland before I would not spend a few days in the Borders Distgrict but around those two scintillatinly scenic train lines tohers have described-<<

I wouldn't recommend the Borders for a first trip either - but with the limitation of wanting to do the trip by public transport I merely laid it out as a more realistic option than trying to do say Skye on foot . . .

But another thread will now go off the rails so to speak so I'll step away and leave you to it . . .
Old Jun 25th, 2019, 12:36 PM

Janis

I’ve no idea why you are being so argumentative and no idea why every post has to be so “au contraire”.

Nobody could possibly arigue that the Borders routes match those that Gardyloo is suggesting,

This is getting really boring and most can’t be bothered posting about the U.K. anymore.
Old Jun 25th, 2019, 12:47 PM

To clarify -- I'm not arguing with Gardyloo at all - I totally 100% agree with what he wrote. . . including this bit >>All that said, the Highlands are all about remote beauty, and without a car you're quite limited as to how much of that you can experience. The train is great, but the car is the real way to experience the region - in my view.<<

I also agreed the train journeys are gorgeous. It is Pal who pops in to say 'sure take the trains and then somehow manage Skye (in his example) sans car.

I was trying tp offer semi-practical options where the OP could manage without driving. Not better than the Highlands/Islands but more 'doable'. I actually think that if someone insists on exploring rural Scotland w/o driving, a small group like with Rabbies is a MUCH better idea than trying to suss out infrequent buses.
Old Jun 25th, 2019, 12:52 PM

So as I said -- I'll step away -- I try to help, using the criteria offered by the OP -- They would not be my choices but just options. And yes - it is getting very hard to post about the UK because we end up having to dispute incorrect/out of date info/advice over and over and over again and just come across looking like the bad guy.
Old Jun 25th, 2019, 12:59 PM

OP wants trains - what are the scenic trains thru the Highlands except the two mentioned - they really have too little time for much especially if they want to see Edinburgh to do more than those two and use Skye as a utilitarian bridge - staying one night near the Malliag ferry. They have no time to do anything on Skye except that - tying two of Europe's most dramatically scenic railways together. They could take the bridge bus from Kyle and easily bus as I did over to the Mallaig ferry - staying in Armandale, a nice enough town:

https://www.google.com/search?biw=10...mg.yYOapvvSKL4
Old Jun 25th, 2019, 03:52 PM

OP wants scenic trains and the West Highland Line and the Kyle Line are amongst the most scenic in Europe.

Below are lots of images of that loop -including how to book tickets, etc. Don't even think of any railpass for your short trip. Really try to wrangle a few extra days to say make bus forays into the more rugged Highlands from say Inverness perhaps..

THE WEST HIGHLAND LINE

The West Highland Line was often used in filming Harry Potter - one viaduct is especially famous for it. It also on weekends and in season has special steam-hauled trains with old carriages - just like Harry Potter and pals used!

And the train crosses one of Europe's largest protected natural areas - the desolate Rannoch Moor:

https://www.google.com/search?biw=10...TsD5QQ4lYILSgC
https://www.scotrail.co.uk/scotland-...williammallaig

For a unique stay there is a train station-hotel right in the center of the moor. If into walking take some time to use footpaths that lace the moors.

https://www.google.com/search?q=west...h=554&dpr=1.75

THE KYLE LINE

The Kyle Line - Home

https://www.google.com/search?q=the+...h=554&dpr=1.75
Old Jun 26th, 2019, 11:37 AM

https://www.thetrainline.com/train-t...y-to-inverness

Details about booking Edinburgh to Inverness train if contemplating taking the loop of scenic trains - this line is not awesomely scenic but plesantly so but if book early can save a ton over full fare.
Old Jun 26th, 2019, 02:34 PM

Should have given Scotrail's site instead of thetrainline.com as Scotrail runs the trains and tickets may be cheaper if bought direct.

https://www.scotrail.co.uk/timetable...h-to-inverness

And they call it phenomically scenic as it get towards Inverness, the Capital of the Highlands and Scotland's most northerly city.
Old Jun 27th, 2019, 05:53 PM

I've a soft-spot for the Glasgow to Crianlarich rail trip. It's only 2 hours each way but the scenery along the Gairloch and then Loch Lomond is quite special. I did this journey a lot just after I retired and it was my treat to me. Usually I'd an hour or so at Crianlarich and that suited.
Old Jun 28th, 2019, 12:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for info and suggestions.
Old Jun 28th, 2019, 12:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. Good ideas.
Old Jun 28th, 2019, 12:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. Sounds lovely
Old Jun 28th, 2019, 12:20 AM
Original Poster

Very appealing and useful info. Thanks.
Old Jun 28th, 2019, 12:21 AM
Original Poster

I appreciate your comments. Thanks.
Old Jun 28th, 2019, 12:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks janise. Could you explain what Robbies is please?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -