Reload this Page >

scandinavian cruise

Search

scandinavian cruise

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 1997, 09:53 AM
laura

scandinavian cruise

My husband and I will soon plan a Scandinavian cruise for next summer. We hope to go with another couple. Has anyone had a wonderful time or horrible and want to share?

Old Sep 2nd, 1997, 03:18 PM
hamlet

I took a Baltic cruise 2 years ago. Most of the itinieraries are pretty much the same and you are usually in each city from 9-5 or so and possibly an overnight in St Petersburg. I would advise you to not go during "Midsummer" which is the big holiday over there. That's when I was there and the locals leave town, most shops close and the only people around are cruisers like yourself. It wasn't bad, but I feel I missed out on interaction with the people.

Old Sep 11th, 1997, 02:40 PM
Morrill

I went on a Baltic cruise, from London to St. Petersburg and back, three years ago on Princess cruise lines. It was a mostly older crowd, there were only 20 passengers under 18, and the atmosphere was fairly sedate. Princess offered a wide variety of well planned tours in each port. The staff were very friendly and helpful. There are a couple of long at sea streches which get a little boring. The weather can be wet and a little chilly so don't plan on lounging by the pool. Overall I would recommend Princess, especially if you are looking for quieter atmosphere and a Baltic cruise is great as an introduction to Scandanavia.

Old Sep 20th, 1997, 08:26 AM
Tricia

Laura, I have been helping another gentlemen looking for a ferry he could take from Holland or Germany to Oslo, Norway. In my research I have been amazed at Norway. In one travelers description Norway "breathtaking, aewsome, lush, flowing--I can't believe its not writte up in every travel bible as THE PLACE THAT ONE HAS TO MAKE A PILGRIMMAE TO BEFORE THEY DIE" As for Americans, put it on your must see list. With that said, I found that you can take day or overnite cruises in and out of the fjords (inlets along the coast) and there are ferries from England to Oslo and Germany to Oslo. I have gathered info on Scandinavian Seways and others. See my info posted today on their Christmas cruise. And when I say ferry, these are big white ships that are very nice with overnite accom. E-mail me if you want any more in and here is Scandinavian seaways www.seaviw.co.uk/Ferries.html
E mail me if you want or need more info or the name of the other couples on Fodor's going to Norway -maybe you can share info with him

Old Sep 28th, 1997, 11:06 AM
Upsilon6

I think you will have a wonderful time. My wife and I went on Holland-America's Maasdam through Scandanavia to St. Petersburg in August 1996. Stockholm is magical and sailing through its archipelago alone is almost worth the price of the trip. In Oslo be sure to see the Viking museum, and see the Vassa ship museum in Stockholm. The posting about St. Petersburg is also correct. The Hermitage is incredible for its collection and the architecture, but touring on your own in St. Petersburg is difficult. Don't drink the water out of the tap there and be careful about the food, except of course on your ship.