Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Scandinavia - weather, things to buy, etc.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 11:57 AM
Sharmar

Hi: We're going to be going through Scandinavia in September. We'll be traveling through the region for 20 days with overnight stays in Copenhagen, Stockholm, Lillehammer, Geiranger, Ulvik, Oslo and Randers. <BR><BR>What can I expect the weather to be like? Any packing suggestions would be great!<BR><BR>And favorite items that I should look for to bring back for myself or as gifts? I'm not sure what the area is known for when shopping.<BR><BR>Any favorite restaurants or special types of foods or desserts I should try? <BR><BR>Thanks for any and all suggestions! I can't wait to get over there. It's my first European visit!

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 01:49 PM
xxx

I've been thinking about going to this region as well. Your trip sounds wonderful. <BR><BR>I'm not a seafood eater and not too excited about Indian and Persian food, so any non-seafood suggestions would be good.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 08:20 PM
xxx

Doesn't anyone go to this region?

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 08:59 AM
Sharmar

Anyone with any suggestions?

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 06:55 PM
Susan

Hi.<BR><BR>I have only been to Stockholm, but thouroughly enjoyed it. Our two favorite activities were visiting the Vasa museum (you must see) and seeing the Skansen (outdoor air museaum with buildings from various regions and times).<BR><BR>I enjoyed shopping for house items made in the Scandinavian design tradition. Very clean, simple, elegant lines. I bought a number of glass items (Kosta Boda, etc). A surprise favorite was linen kitchen towels - blue and white and very functional.<BR><BR>Sorry, don't remember any specific restaurant highlights. But I was glad we tried the traditional Scandinavian smorgasbord. I enjoyed all of the way to present fish, pickles, breads,etc. I would recommend it, as a regional specialty that isn't easily found in other areas.<BR><BR>Best wishes, Susan

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 09:17 AM
xxx

Clogs? Are these people known for anything else?

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 10:06 AM
Clogs

Sorry, no clogs in Scandinavia. Netherlands is not in Scandinavia.

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 10:35 AM
yes clogs!

Clogs, not wooden shoes!! Clogs are everywhere in Scandinavia. Had an exchange student from Sweden years ago...she brought me locally made clogs as a gift. Clogs have a wooden sole and a leather or fabric upper!!

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 10:45 AM
BTilke

Some things bring back from Scandinavia:<BR><BR>Art glass. I particularly like the glass birds by Toikka. Also, glassware. Swedish "crystal" has no lead in it; I prefer that to lead crystal. The Ultima pattern from Ittala is very attractive. <BR>A tea service from Royal Copehagen<BR>Anything from the master silver craftsmen at Georg Jensen, but especially hammered silver. <BR>Christmas ornaments and decorations. The Scandinavian countries product absolutely beautiful Christmas decorations. The wooden decorations are gorgeous. <BR>Sweaters, especially the Nordic designed sweaters with beautiful pewter buttons<BR>Clothes by the designer Kriss (I think it's Kriss with a double "s" at the end, not one).<BR>Fabric or bedlinens from Marimekko. Marimekko also makes wonderful kids' clothing. I sent my niece in CT a Marimekko outfit bought at Fortnum and Mason's in London and everyone raves about how beautiful it is (and of course, how gorgeous my niece looks in it!).<BR>

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 10:46 AM
Benita

Sharmar:<BR><BR>The weather in September will definitely be fall-like. Should not be very cold yet, but do expect some rain. Bring jackets, sweaters, and a light raincoat, also an umbrella. You'll enjoy the beautiful fall colors in the nature though, when trees are red, orange, yellow. <BR><BR>Kids will be back in school by then so it should not be very busy at any attractions you may catch. Of course, some of them will already be closed for the season, though, since the summer time is the busiest tourist season in all of Scandinavia.<BR><BR>In Copenhagen you MUST go to the Tivoli amusement park. It's very centrally located and just a very fun place, even if you aren't into rides. There's a couple Royal Palaces that you may want to visit and naturally museums and old beautiful churches. And of course the Little Mermaid statue is cute. Also the Stroget pedestrian street is a must. There's so many shops where you can find just about anything to buy. Danish glass and Royal Copenhagen porcelain is pretty and wellknown. <BR><BR>Danes are known for their "smorrebrod" open-faced sandwiches, which come in dozens of varieties. They're available in most restaurants and are inexpensive, too. We were in Copenhagen last summer and will be there again in about a week before catching a cruise out of there, and there's a Turkish restaurant serving a great buffet, that we tried last summer and are going back to again. I wish I could remember the name of it, it's located maybe 3-4 blocks from the SAS Royal Radisson Hotel, where we're staying again. Oh, and don't forget the Danish pastries. There's a bakery called La Glace that's very good. Go early in the morning!<BR><BR>Remember that Lillehammer hosted the winter Olympics not too long ago, so perhaps visit the stadium? It's been 25 years since I was in Lillehammer, so please forgive me for not remembering much about it. It's not a very big city, but very pretty. Oslo is nice but, here again, can't remember any specifics about it.<BR><BR>We'll also be in Stockholm on our trip, that's where our cruise will be ending. I've been there before but quite some time ago, but it is one of the most beautiful places. Lots of water, bridges, don't miss the Royal Palace in "Gamla Stan" (old town).<BR><BR>Swedes are also known for their glass and wooden products, also linens and clothing. Do try the "smorgasbord" buffet, as Susan suggested, there's such a huge variety of food, especially if you like herring and other fish, you'll love it. And if reindeer meat is available in either country, do try it. There may also be elk meat, which is good, and probably a lot of local berries, such as lingonberries (kind of a small cranberry, but often served with main dishes), the Arctic Brambleberry (there's a great liquor made by Lapponia or Suomen Marjat, Finnish companies), and the Cloudberry, a golden colored raspberry look-alike. Very rare and so delicious. And the Swedish Meatballs are always served on the buffets, same as many kinds of mostly vegetable casseroles. I could go on and on....<BR><BR>I hope you have fun! And by the way, Swedes DO make and wear wooden clogs, some people love to wear them although I could never get them to stay on my feet very well (I have narrow feet).<BR><BR>Have a great trip, you'll enjoy Scandinavia. I'ts very clean, modern, and civilized.<BR><BR>Benita

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 12:37 PM
Elsa

Amen to Benita's last statement, especially.<BR><BR>Another product of Sweden is the wooden, carved Darlana (sp?) horse. I THINK (but someone correct me if I'm wrong) that the most popular color is the orange, but I have also seen them painted in navy as well as black. They have a Swedish design harness painted on them. Don't wait to buy them at the airport (thinking "duty-free"), b/c I'm not sure if there will be any for sale there.

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 12:48 PM
Benita

Some more products I thought of after I'd posted my previous reply:<BR><BR>BTilke mentioned several items that are actually made in Finland, not Sweden or Denmark (such as Toikka, Iittala, Marimekko), but I guess Sharmar just wanted ANY Scandinavian products.<BR><BR>Well, there's some beautiful and wellmade porslin and ceramic dinnerware and decorative items made by the Finnish company called Arabia. And of course Iittala has an extensive selection of glassware. Hackman is a company that makes flatware, their classic Savonia pattern has been around for at least 25 years, I have a set for 16 that I've had for probably that long, and it's still just like new. Other Finnish glassware manufacturers are Humppila, Nuutajarvi and Riihimaen Lasi. <BR><BR>If you need gift ideas for males, consider Rapala fishing products (lures, fillet knives etc). They're excellent quality. And of course Fiskars makes scissors, cutting knives etc. Also Finnish plastic bowls for serving and/or storing of food are good quality (can't remember a certain brand, though).<BR><BR>Once again, enjoy your trip!<BR>Benita

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 04:30 PM
Benita

One more comment, and then I'll quit.<BR><BR>Elsa, I know exactly which wooden horse you're talking about. They come in different sizes and are painted in many colors, I believe red being the most common. They're from the part of Sweden called "Dalarna", therefore the name, but they're available anywhere in the country. Very popular especially around Christmas time, as are the goats made out of straw, and the straw hangings for your windows and ceiling. Very typical for Scandinavia.<BR><BR>Benita

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 10:40 PM
Sharmar

Thanks for the suggestions! I can't wait to get over there and see this beautiful region. More suggestions would be much appreciated!

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 12:46 PM
Tim

Great itinery! I wish I could be more help, but I'm not a big shopper. Have fun.

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 01:08 PM
mpprh

Hi<BR><BR>1) Souvenirs ................ check the above and buy what you fancy. Aquavit is something unusual. Smoked salmon is good value. And amaze your friends with a few tins of surstromming.<BR><BR>2) Weather ......... check here for weather history -<BR><BR>http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/weather/historical/historical.htm<BR><BR>Lowest recorded temp in Stockholm for Sept is -5C ( 23f), Highest is 26C (79f). As a general rule ....... the further East, the drier it will be.<BR><BR>3)A visit to the ski jump behind Oslo provides wonderful views.<BR><BR>4) There are no big cities in Scandinavia. Each has its charm, but all are small enough to explore easily.<BR><BR>5)If you stray too far from the capitals, be aware that in September the Scandinavian summer is over. Many rural hotels and restaurants will not offer a full service. Some will even be closed for the winter.<BR><BR>Have a good trip<BR><BR>Peter<BR>http://tlp.netfirms.com<BR>

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 04:36 PM
ttt

topping for David

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 03:08 PM
Gina

Where do I find these wooden, carved Darlana (sp?) horses? How much should I expect to pay for one? Are they around a foot high? Thanks

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 03:34 AM
elina

You find those horses in all places they sell souvenirs, you just cannot miss them. And they come in all sizes, from tiny, tiny ones till the height of your navel.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 08:43 AM
xxx

Do these little wooden horses only come in red, or can I find one in other colors? How much do these horses cost on average?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -