Search

Scandinavia: Itinerary and travel help

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scandinavia: Itinerary and travel help

Hi!

My husband and I are very excited to be taking our first trip to Scandinavia this summer. We fly into Copenhagen, arriving the morning of 6/20, and have until 6/27 to enjoy a taste of the region.

I've been doing some research, but, frankly, my head is spinning a bit from all the options. I'm hoping some of you savvy travelers who've spent time in this region might be able to make a suggestion or two.

We'll definitely be doing the Nutshell (preferably over 2 days), would like to see Stockholm, Viking ships, a stave church, and are generally interested in history/culture/outdoors over art/food. I'd like to travel by train as much as possible, but am having trouble figuring that out. (no night train from Copenhagen to Stockholm 6/21 or 6/22, the night train from Stockholm to Oslo has 4 changes?, etc.)

Many, many thanks in advance!
Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 08:58 PM
kja

It's a beautiful area of the world! But with just 7 days, you might want to consider visiting just 2 locations. Seeing the highlights of Copenhagen and Stockholm could easily take a full week. Give some thought to how much time your are willing to spend traveling from place to place rather than actually seeing things.

Hope that helps!
Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 10:19 PM

A Viking ship and a stave church can be seen in two museums practically next to each other in Oslo.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca/...th/4214130789/
Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses!

kja, I'll take a second look at cutting down to just Copenhagen and Stockholm or Oslo. We're not likely to be in that part of the world again for a while, so we're certainly interested in seeing as much as possible while we're there. But that does have a limit. I was hoping to do some of the travel on night trains to save our waking hours for seeing/doing. Anyone have tips/info on why I'm finding no trains around Midsummer and/or the many changes?

Michael, thanks for the tip! I'll check that out. I love one-stop shopping, so to speak.
Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 12:58 PM

BTW, the dating of the pictures is accurate.
Old Mar 10th, 2013, 06:54 AM

Hi,

There are no night trains between the Scandinavian capitals. The only exception beeing a sleeper train between Malmö and Stockholm (Malmö is just a short train ride on a regional Öresund train from/to Copenhagen).

Trains from Copenhagen to Oslo are scarse and slow and always involves a change of train in Gothenburg. Most people fly between Copenhagen and Oslo. Plenty of cheap flights. Check out Norwegian Air Shuttle (www.norwegian.com) and Scandinavian Airlines (www.flysas.com).

There are direct day trains between Oslo and Stockholm (quite slow) and some services with a change of train in Karlstad. However, no direct night service. Most local people would fly even on this segment. Check out the same airlines as above.

There are also direct flights between Bergen and Stockholm. Once again, check out Norwegian Air Shuttle and Scandinavian Airlines but also Finnair.

Your trip will be very rushed if you want to throw in all places (Copenhagen, Oslo, Norway in a nut shell and Stockholm). In my opinion Stockholm is the most interesting and beautiful capital of the three followed by Copenhagen and Oslo. However, the fjords in Norway are just stunning and shouldn't be missed.

I would probably have focused on Copenhagen and the Norwegian fjords OR on the Norwegian fjords and Stockholm.

Copenhagen and the the Norwegian fjords:
1 See Copenhagen
2 Fly Copenhagen Oslo
3 See Oslo
4 Train Oslo - Myrdal - Flåm
5 Boat Flåm - Gudvangen
6 Bus/train Gudvangen - Voss - Bergen
7 See Bergen
8 Fly Bergen - Copenhagen

The Norwegian Fjords and Stockholm:
Cut out 1 and possibly 3
8 Fly Bergen - Stockholm
9 See Stockholm
10 Fly Stockholm - Copenhagen or sleeper train Stockholm - Malmö - Copenhagen

The first itinerary feels more relaxed.

Have fun!
Old Mar 11th, 2013, 05:43 AM

Btw, the overnight ferry from Copenhagen to Oslo is also an option. Travel by night and save money on accomodation!

Link: http://www.dfdsseaways.co.uk/ferry-r...enmark-norway/
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

Thank you SO much, hoxa61! This is so helpful. I've been sorting through info on so many websites and books, and I just knew someone (you, apparently would be able to set me straight.

We're headed to Paris for the summer, actually, and tacked on this extra week when we found a great airfare into Copenhagen. We've always wanted to travel in Scandinavia, specifically to Stockholm and the fjords (not really Denmark, although I'm sure it's going to be great), but we're committed to that Copenhagen arrival.

Anyway, you've been hugely helpful. Thank you!! I'll post back when we've made up our minds.
Old Apr 13th, 2013, 11:43 AM

To hoxa61, we are also traveling to Copenhagen and I'm thinking Bergen for the fjords. I like your itinerary for eight days, but we plan on a total of about 2 weeks. I was thinking of flying into Bergen from Atlanta, GA and back from Copenhagen. Would love additional help to expand the itinerary you outlined.
Old Apr 13th, 2013, 11:45 AM

Sorry mango805 didn't mean to intrude on your topic line. Will start my own thread if need be.
Old Apr 13th, 2013, 03:26 PM
kja

anjun - probably best to start your own thread.
Old Apr 13th, 2013, 10:08 PM

If it were me, with 7 days, I'd either do Copenhagen - Stockholm, with a visit to the Stockholm archipelago thrown in, or Copenhagen, ferry to Oslo, Oslo - Ålesund. There are good domestic flights between Oslo and Ålesund, or you can take an express bus from Oslo.
Old Apr 14th, 2013, 07:50 AM

<i>Oslo - Ålesund</i>

Ålesund over Bergen? I would not recommend such an alternative.
Old Apr 14th, 2013, 11:32 AM

Why? Flights are easy out of Oslo, the city itself is quite beautiful and Fjords are on its doorstep. And there's Hjørundfjord!

You get this: much to be preferred over NIN, in my opinion

http://www.visitalesund-geiranger.co...ord-Experience

Personally, the NIN beaten track is just that. I've been to Flåm and its railway: much overrated. But Bergen's nice too, that's true.
Old Apr 14th, 2013, 01:03 PM

<i>Fjords are on its doorstep.</i>

But not as dramatic as Geirangerfjord or Sognefjord.
Old Apr 16th, 2013, 11:30 AM

You get to Geirangerfjord easily from Ålesund, indeed, the link has a daytrip, largely by boat.

http://www.hurtigruten.us/utils/news...rting-in-2013/