Scala Reale questions

Oct 21st, 2003, 07:15 AM
BLN
Original Poster

Scala Reale questions

For those of you with experience with Scala Reale --

I emailed them 2 weeks ago (10/8) and still no response. Last Monday (10/13) I called and left a message saying I had emailed, could I get a call back or response to my email... still no answer. I had a few questions I wanted them to address.

Is this normal? It's making me kinda uneasy.

My husband and I will be in Rome over Thanksgiving and are interested in taking their Vatican and Forum tours - I hear nothing but good things, of course.

Also, we're renting an apartment - how will they get the orientation packet to me since it's not a hotel where they can just drop it off (and I sure as heck want the packet for my 20Euro!)??

Any comments? Know what happened to them over there at Scala Reale?

Thanks!!
Oct 21st, 2003, 07:27 AM

We used Scala Reale two years ago, and I do remember that it took a little while before they responded. But they did and in plenty of time.

We took the Vatican/Sistine Chapel tour and were very glad we did...the guide was wonderful.

Try sending another email and also ask them about where they would leave the orientation material. It was left at the front desk at our hotel, but they must have a procedure for apartments as well.

Have a wonderful time.
Oct 21st, 2003, 08:08 AM

We are just back from Rome and used Enjoy Rome tours basically because the cost of Scala Reale and thoroughly enjoyed the tour. I know that Scala Reale has a wonderful reputation but I personnally thought their prices were outrageous and can't imagine the tour being that different. That being said I've never taken a SR tour so I can't say for sure.
Oct 21st, 2003, 08:12 AM

We had a quick (2 days max) response when we e-mailed them, but that has not been recent. However, I think you are right in keeping at it. They are a SMALL operation and sometimes get overwhelmed with inquiries.
Oct 21st, 2003, 08:20 AM

My Scala Reale walks were some of the highlights of my trip to Rome.
The primary tours are 4 hours long, and I felt they were an excellent value.
I'm surprised to hear that they're being slow in responding because I found them very efficient, but maybe something is up--hang in there a while.

What I also liked about them is that their great packet of information (including map, restaurant suggestions, etc) was waiting for me at my hotel.
When a scheduling issue came up, they both left a phone message and a fax for me at my hotel. Also, their office is staffed into the evening, so I was able to talk to a person the evening before one of my tours.

You might try calling again to see if you can speak to someone. good luck
Oct 21st, 2003, 08:56 AM

BLN, your best bet is to call them 06-474-5673.

You can also check out their scheduled tours on http://www.contextrome.com/cart/scalareale.php and book a tour online.

I had to call them because there weren't any scheduled tours for the dates I wanted. I talked to Petulia and within seconds, she had my requested tours/dates up on the website and I was able to book online.
Oct 21st, 2003, 05:58 PM
BLN
Original Poster

Thanks guys, I sent another e-mail and if I don't hear from them in a couple days, I'll give them another call!
Oct 21st, 2003, 09:56 PM

This is one of their busiest periods. I'm sure almost every docent available is working. Matt, their best administration manager, has moved back to the U.S. with his lovely wife. I'm sure they've had difficulty replacing him. Be patient. I'm sure they'll get to you when they get a chance.
Oct 22nd, 2003, 12:39 PM
jmp

My husband and I were in Rome last week and we took 5 Scala Reale tours. They were the highlight of our trip.

We took the orientation stroll, Navona, Arenula, Ancient Rome and the Vatican tour. Liz was our guide for both Ancient Rome and the Vatican tours and she is wonderful. (see if she is available for your tours, although all of the guides that we had were very good)

Try to call Scala Reale - don't give up on them - they are terrific!

If they can't get to your apartment to get you your packet, your first guide will have it with him or her. If not, they will call the office to get you one - they are very efficient.

Have fun!
Oct 22nd, 2003, 01:01 PM

I tried to join Scala Reale for our trip in Feb/Mar, but received a reply asking us to re-apply in the new year.

Being the obsessive type, I'd like to have everything booked long before January for a trip at the end of February.

How near our arrival dates might I expect them to be able to give membership access? and, we hope, book tours?

Any guestimates welcomed.
Oct 23rd, 2003, 07:47 AM

Koshka, same thing happened to me - I tried to book a December tour with SR back in June and they told me to contact them again after the summer.

So I did - I called them Sep 17 and within seconds, Petulia had the dates I requested on www.contextrome.com. So that makes it 3 months before our tour dates.
Oct 23rd, 2003, 08:25 AM

Thank you, jmoy.

We're currently four months and four days from our departure.

(not that I'm counting, mind you! )

I'll try again when we reach the Three Month mark.
Oct 23rd, 2003, 04:12 PM

Koshka, no problem! 'Glad to know that I'm not the only one obsessive about planning these things way in advance !
Oct 27th, 2003, 02:32 AM

Hallo! Please bear with me as I fractured my finger last week and cannot type as fast as I usually do. I'll try to aswer all your requests as soon as possible.
Thanks for your patience.
Oct 27th, 2003, 12:11 PM

Ciao, Petulia,

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Koshka
Nov 8th, 2003, 06:15 PM
ksr

I am going over Thanksgiving also. Where can I get info on these tours. Someone posted about taking 5 tours. Which one or 2 were your favorites? Also what is expensive???

ksr
Nov 11th, 2003, 10:38 AM
BLN
Original Poster

ksr -- the more in-depth tours are 4 hours long and are 50 Euro per person. (Plus a 20 Euro fee for joining Scala Reale.) www.scalareale.org will answer all your questions.

As a follow up to my original post, I heard from Scala Reale not long after this post and they have been very responsive ever since. We are really looking forward to our tours!