Saying basic pleasantries in Catalan

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2011, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be in Barcelona for 3-4 days this November, and I don't speak one word of Catalan. I've gone through previous threads and they say that most Barcelonians speak Spanish (Castillian) either as a first or second language, and that communicating in Spanish or English will be fine; in some cases, it's even preferable than speaking in Catalan. Nonetheless, I've learned that, as a general rule, it's a good thing to learn basic pleasantries in the local language. The stock list of words/phrases that I learn are the following:

Hello
Goodbye
Good morning/afternoon/night
Yes
No
Please
Thank you
Where is the bathroom
English please, I don't speak <language>

Is it worth it to learn these basic words and phrases in Catalan, or just stick with Spanish? Am I asking for trouble/embarassment if I walk into a store, say the Catalan equivalent of "Good morning" and then give the storekeeper a blank look when he or she responds?
Old Sep 10th, 2011, 03:41 PM

Hola
comiat
Bon dia / tarda / nit

no
Si us plau,
gràcies
On és el lavabo
Anglès, si us plau, jo no parlo <idioma>

got this from the google translator.. you can also use Spanish.. and english. just make an effort. you will be fine.
Old Sep 10th, 2011, 07:24 PM

It's always worth knowing a few words or phrases, it's a sign of caring. If you speak any French, Catalan is similar to Provençal, from the region of Province, just across the border in French Catalunya. It's a beautiful language, well worth learning, if only a few words.
Old Sep 10th, 2011, 07:33 PM

I'm a language junkie, so I say yes, go for it. It's a lot like Occitan, which I've been working on for more than a decade. Go for it, and don't worry about being embarrassed or being able to continue the conversation (you won't). People will be very pleased that you cared enough to learn even a few phrases (and I think you can learn a lot more than what you listed).
Old Sep 10th, 2011, 08:07 PM

When in Barcelona, I always use salutation in Catalan AND Spanish. ( Castellano)
Of several people I know in Barcelona , only one is Catalan.
Barcelona is truly a cosmopolitan city.
Don't. worry.
Old Sep 11th, 2011, 03:23 AM

And remember: Do not ask for a "menu en Espanol." Ask for a "menu en Castillano!"
Old Sep 12th, 2011, 12:43 PM

The intention is nice, but:
You cannot tell when you stand in front of a person, if he/she speaks Catalan as first language or Castilian.
It's easier outside of Barcelona as more/most people there speak Catalan as first language. But in BCN it's almost impossible to guess.

Hi: Hola - same in both languages
Goodbye: Adeu / Adios
Please: Si-us plau (or more common and shorter: sisplau)
You're welcome: De res

Some phrases you may encounter:
Bon profit! -- enjoy (your meal)
tancat -- closed
home / dona -- man / woman
sortida -- exit
cafe amb llet -- cafe con leche (coffee with (lots) of milk)
tallat -- espresso with a little milk
serveis -- toilets
mossos d'esquadra -- police
vi negre / blanc -- red / white wine
forn - bakery (also oven)
Old Sep 12th, 2011, 01:09 PM

I mentined this before, ... once I said to a taxi driver i was sorry but I did not speak Catalan ( in Catalan)
he said " me neither " in Castillian.
I often. have to "fight" with younger staff or waitress who prefer to speak ( practice) English ..while I am trying to use ( practice) my Spanish .
Old Sep 12th, 2011, 03:28 PM
ita

you can get the pronunciation from Google translater
Old Sep 12th, 2011, 03:33 PM
ita

I haven't bought a phrase book because I couldn't find one for Catalan. This post seems to indicate that Castillian is the language to use. Is this correct?
Old Sep 12th, 2011, 03:53 PM

It's good to have some Catalan food words handy; we had lunch in several off the beaten path places in Barcelona that only had Catalan menus. This is a useful site for that: http://www.webarcelona.net/restaurants/az.htm

I think it's nice to learn some basics in Catalan, for when you are a bit further away from the city center (and for smaller towns). A simple moltes gràcies always seemed to be very well received when I used it.

In addition to google translator, I find forvo.com useful for pronunciation.
Old Sep 12th, 2011, 03:57 PM

Cowboy is right that many residents of Barcelona are from other parts of Spain and do not speak Catalán. We speak Spanish and spent a month in Catalonia, including Barcelona, Cadaqués, plus two rural locations.

Everyone was thrilled to communicate with us in Spanish - we were even invited to a dinner party, a gallery opening and a town festival by the owners of a farmhouse we rented. At all of these events, many people spoke Spanish, even to each other. No need to refer to español as castellano either. People in Spain are very accustomed to to Latin American pronunciation and vocabulary.

By the time we left, I found I could understand a lot of printed material in Catalán, but the spoken language was tough to decipher. Knowing French will help, but won't get you very far in conversation.