Search

Sarlat Chambre d'hotes and walking itinerary suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2013, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sarlat Chambre d'hotes and walking itinerary suggestions

Hi All,
We are walking for 11 days in the Dordogne and will be in Sarlat the second week of September for two days. Can anyone suggest a chambre d'hote close to town?

We are still putting together our itinerary. So far we plan to train from Bordeaux to the region then will likely start walking the GR and local trails to St Cyprien,Beynac, La Roque - Gegnac, Castlenaud-La-Chapelle, Domme, Sarlat. From this point on we still in the planning stages. We would like to go to Carennac, Bretenoux, Beaulieu-sur-Dordogne, Collenges-la-Rouge, Martel, Meysaac, Turenne, then train to Bordeaux from Brive. Any suggestions for our routing?
Thank you.
jjwelt
Old Aug 4th, 2013, 05:03 PM

There is a chambre d'hôte in Sarlat proper, behind the Manoir de Gisson. Unfortunately I do not recall the name. The prices were surprisingly low (around 50€ if I recall correctly) for being in the middle of Sarlat.
Old Aug 4th, 2013, 05:10 PM

Check the Sarlat Tourist Office site for chambres d'hôtes. They should have a decent list.

Where do you plan to get off the train? Because St-Cyprien isn't exactly a starting point from a train ride to a walking tour.
Old Aug 4th, 2013, 11:10 PM

We loved our stay at http://www.les-granges-hautes.fr/en/ it is a short drive outside of Sarlat.
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 04:49 AM

I just stayed for three nights at le jardin in sarlat, walking distance to town. Very comfortable and friendly. Www.lejardin-sarlat.com. I paid 95euro a night.

Schnauzer
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the quick responses. Les Grange-Haute looks great, but we are walking and it is too far from town. I will check out Le Jardin Sarlat.

StCirq = Good question about where to get off the train to start the hike. We haven't finalized that yet. Do you have any recommendations?
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 06:22 PM

Jeffjoyce, how are you arriving in the Dordogne? Do you really need to arrive in Bordeaux and then take the interminable local trains into the Dordogne? I would go from Paris (if that's your starting point) to Brive and start from there. Or better yet, take the TGV to Bordeaux or Libourne and then the local train to Périgueux, where you can start your pilgrimage. It will be grim getting out of Périgueux into the countryside walking, but maybe there are buses (I'll see if I can check on that) to get you to some pretty villages to start your hike.
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 01:51 AM

here you have a list of recommended guesthouses : http://www.petitfute.uk.com/accommod...-1403-151.html

have a nice trip !!
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 02:49 AM

"Interminable local trains": proof that person's bug is another person's feature.
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 06:54 AM

We stayed at La Lanterne and enjoyed it. The hosts were very helpful and made us feel very welcome.
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 07:43 AM

There is a bus from Périgueux to Le Bugue (and Le Buisson), which would be a good starting point for walking. I haven't found too much about it except this: http://www.ptdb.info/europe2013/rout...3&idxrun=33416

You can get to Périgueux either by taking a regular train from the Gare d'Austerlitz in Paris through Limoges, or by taking the TGV to Libourne or Bordeaux and getting on the local train the Périgueux. I would imagine the bus to Le Bugue leaves from somewhere near the train station.