Search

Sardinia, near Olbia

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2012, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sardinia, near Olbia

Hi there,

I have booked a 10 night trip to Sardinia for myself, husband and 2 smalls (aged 4 and 7). Very excited, it looks so beautiful. We are staying a 10 minute drive from San Teodoro, a few minutes walk to a village called Monte Pedrosu and near a beach called Cala Girgolu (our hotel apartments: http://www.freelance-holidays.co.uk/...p?accom_id=180). We have car hire booked.

Can anyone give us any recommendations? We are huge beach lovers and would probably spend more time on the beach/in the water than by the pool at our apartments. But we'd like to explore the area too - we love ruins, natural landmarks, towns and villages, fine eateries, anything at all that is interesting and memorable. I do keep seeing pictures of amazing rock formations but not sure where on the island these are. Also - watersports, any advice or tips appreciated.

Also, should we learn some basic Italian? I hear that there is not much English spoken.

Many thanks in advance.
Old Jun 16th, 2012, 03:28 AM

Sardinia was one of my favourite trips ever. Great country, great people. So much packed into so small an area.

Emerald coast (Costa Smeralda) is known as something of a playground for the rich and famous but does have some fab beaches. We also went to Cala Luna which is much less known, a little more rugged but absolutely beautiful. You can get a speedboat past la Grotta del Bue Marine (we hiked but with small ones it would be very challenging - it's about 4km and very hilly/rocky)

Cagliari, Oristano Oliena and Tiscali were all fascinating for their history and great for walks. Sardinia is known for mysterious 'nuraghe' so definitely try and see them. Check if there are any local festivals it really shows you the spirit of a place.

Olbia imho doesn't have much of remark... more of a transit town but may just be my experience! Gola su goruppu is an amazing rivine... I don't know how it would be with little ones... we hiked a long way but from what I could gather there are also toure.

And lastly yes to the Italian, I was really grateful for knowing some Italian and I think the people we met really appreciated it, my impression is that much less English is spoken than say somewhere like Rome or Florence
Old Jun 21st, 2012, 11:07 PM

Sardinia is really amazing (and I'm not saying that because I'm Sardinian!!).
You can visit Nuoro and its surroundings (1 hour drive from San Teodoro). Nuoro is a lovely town , full of history.In the south-east part of Nuoro, you will find the Barbagia area, which includes the mount Gennargentu (1834 meters high). Among the tiny villages in Barbaria, Oliena and Orgosolo are worth seeing (Oliena is an old town with white-walled houses and the ruins of a medieval castle); Orgosolo is famous for its murales (social and political graffiti on the walls of the old town). If you have time and you are interested in, I can give you the address of a lab -museum in Orgosolo, dedicated to silk.Another really wonderful area is Dorgali, Gulf of Orosei, which includes the caves of Bue Marino,Tiscali Nuragic Village, the caves of Ispinigoli etc)
Yes, definitely, few people in Sardinia can speak English, unless you go to the Emerald coast , but I think the beauty of travelling is about discovering new cultures, new languages, tasting unusual food. When will you be travelling ?
Old Jun 21st, 2012, 11:45 PM

Bookmarking - Kitschenalia your apartment looks just like the kind of accomodation we look for on holiday, and Sardinia is on the list... Will be really interested to hear how you get on, sorry can not add any advice
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 03:18 AM

Kits

We have been 7 times, last July the weather was average but still warm enough to swim.

Beaches : the best in Europe FULL STOP.

The only ones that come anywhere close to the Caribbean.

The behind can be hard work but the best strategy it to work out the directin and find a beach which hides in the lee of the wind. Places like Cala d Volpe will have a beach for any wind direction.

Here is our top 10 list.

1. Capricicola, Cala Di Volpe, incredible light and really safe swimming. Just very busy in August. You have to queue for a space. Get there early or late.

2. Elephant Rock Beach, Cala do Volpe, great of the wind if from the other direction

3. Principe, Porto Cervo

4. Cala Luna, Gulf of Orosei

5. Port San Paolo , great view of Isola Tavola

6. Rosa Beach, La Maddalena Islands. One of the best in Europe but need a boat trip to get there.

7. Two beaches north of Cannigione again great swimming

8. The nature reserve at Biderosa , very unspoilt good walks just no facilities.

9. Cala Falcone , great rock formations

10. Town beach at Santa Teresa, great for people watching and the view of Corsica.

From your base try to make the day tips to La Maddalena and to Corsica both well worth the time.
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 03:44 AM

I invite everyone to visit the south-east part of Sardinia. Costa Rei near Castiadas, where I live, is considered one the 5 most beautiful beaches in the world.
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 05:03 AM

Olivella

I posted " come close to the Caribbean". There are some lovely beaches on Sardinia, definitely up with the best in Europe.

They are nowhere near as good as those in The Bahamas, The Caribbean, Australia or the Pacific.

You will not get this swimming off Costa Rei

http://www.travelblog.org/Central-Am...og-251987.html

The famous swimming pigs of The Exumas.
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 07:23 AM

cute ! It's a pity that I can't send you some pictures!!!
Old Jul 30th, 2012, 10:46 AM

I can suggest you a good place for eating at 20 minutes from the place where you are, Agriturismo Tonino Corda in Padru. For eating traditional sardinian food, with fresh and homemade products.
Around there you can visit some little villages, archaeological ruins, beautiful landscapes.
Old Jul 29th, 2014, 06:57 AM

"The awakening of the senses"

http://www.only-sardinia.com/cms/en/...-sardinia.html
Old Jul 29th, 2014, 10:32 AM
Dai

We spent a couple of weeks in the north of Sardinia flying in and out of Olbia and LOVED it! Super duper nice people, great food, and the beaches are the most beautiful ever, especially <b>Stintino</b>. The water in Stintino has every color of blue, every color of green, and clear as glass.

We also loved La Maddalena, Alghero, and especially Castelsardo. We stayed at Hotel Riviera in Castelsardo and it was perfect. Right across the street they have a wonderful little cove with no waves for the little ones to encounter. The hotel gave us an umbrella and towels. The nearby centro storico is amazing! Hotel Riviera gets mixed reviews, but that is due mostly to the negative reviews for the hotel's restaurant FoFo which is expensive. The hotel itself was in a great location and the people were so helpful.

You will never forget your stay in Sardinia. Lucky you!
Old Jul 29th, 2014, 10:35 AM
Dai

OOPS! Sorry, I see you have one base. You can skip the hotel but go to the little beach and take a walk into their centro storico on a hill over the sea.

Also, yes, the more Italian you can learn, the better. Bring a phrase book with you and point to phrases if necessary. The people are so gracious that you will have fun with gestures and whatever it takes to communicate.